Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Tea parties on Apr. 15...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tea parties on Apr. 15...

Just wondering if anyone else feels strongly enough to attend one of these this upcomming Wed. I am gathering a group of people to go here in Phoenix.

We do not believe in weath re-distribution and massive bailouts funded with tax payer money, and plan to make our voices heard. Just wondered if there were others....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do plan on attending a tax protest this Saturday, if I can summon the strength. Have to w*rk on Wednesday.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If they were serving whine wine instead of tea I might change my plans and not attend the $5 opera rehearsal.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From what I've read about it; this is a grass roots movement - something akin to the anti war movement of the 60s. It is breaking out all over.
Right now there isn't a leadership, so it should be interesting to see how it develops.

I'm guessing that the news media will focus on the fringe elements and miss the underlying issue.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
It is not a grassroots movement.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #6

It's a practice mocked by many: Economist's View: Paul Krugman: Tea Parties Forever
Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yep - I'm all for raising taxes across the board so debt can start getting paid down and our elected officials can continue to do their sterling work - and provide more watchdogs to referee those nefarious capitalists.

And possibly raise some yellow dogs on the side.

heh heh heh -
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It is not a grassroots movement.
Correct!-

Tea is an... agricultural product of the leaves, leaf buds, and internodes of the Camellia sinensis plant, prepared and cured by various methods.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's about what I would expect from Krugman. Rather than say... what point do you have to make, maybe I can understand your point of view, or even, why do you think the way you do? He says none of these things. He is not... and from what I can tell will never be interested in learning anything from others. Far easier for him to say "You are dumb... I am smart", or more dangerously implyed... why do these people have the right to speak at all? I would have thought that Mr. Krugman would have been all in favor of freedom of speech... but I guess not... Rather than listen to what others have said about him, I have read some of his collumns and heard him speak before. A tighter wound bundle of hate and elitism I have never seen...
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #10

Hey, we used to grow tea, and you are correct about the Camellia sinensis.

Every year folks would buy loose tea from us for some kind of tea party event, lots of times they were held in Boston. We always wanted to do one in Charleston, but never got around to it. Protests with tea are old school, for sure.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
It's about what I would expect from Krugman. ..A tighter wound bundle of hate and elitism I have never seen...

...unless you were on the forum in October.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Make mine catnip tea, calms me down and perks up "Fluffy."
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yep - ol Krug seems to give the impression his shorts are pinching in the interview I saw.

Don't he know we're the good guys and we won? Now it's our turn. Unfortunately it just means the buck stops here - not that the magical answer has arrived.

So as I putz thru - my best and final Turbo Tax today - my slight pad/overpayment on estimated tax is shrinking - but not enough to Tax Revolt. Possibly enough ?? to file an extension and go outside since 4/12 was the farmers freeze date around here.

No Tax Revolt here - green tea/honey, mow the yard, put a tax file extension form out for the mailman.

heh heh heh -
Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #14

DW and I will be going to one. Have to stand up to darn wasteful money grubbing politicians of both parties and ACORN's hired hooligans.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
It's about what I would expect from Krugman. ... "You are dumb... I am smart",
Agreed - that Krugman link represents the worst of what was in the soapbox (and there was also some good stuff there, IMO).

Us versus them. Tired old words, no insight, just bitchin'.

-ERD50
Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #16

Quote:
It's about what I would expect from Krugman. Rather than say... what point do you have to make, maybe I can understand your point of view, or even, why do you think the way you do? He says none of these things. He is not... and from what I can tell will never be interested in learning anything from others. Far easier for him to say "You are dumb... I am smart", or more dangerously implyed... why do these people have the right to speak at all? I would have thought that Mr. Krugman would have been all in favor of freedom of speech... but I guess not... Rather than listen to what others have said about him, I have read some of his collumns and heard him speak before. A tighter wound bundle of hate and elitism I have never seen...
That's a very odd post since I think your posts, in general, belie the sort of empathy and open-mindedness you suggest are lacking in Krugman's view of things. As I recall from your posts, the Government is invariably always wrong when it messes with the free market, except when it is to provide you with energy tax credits. As for Krugman implying that people shouldn't have "free speech" -- that appears to be a bit of a stretch. However, I do recall you and others suggesting that there are people too stupid to vote -- seems like a very elite notion to me though I know you don't intend to be hateful like Krugman.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #17

How is this topic "FIRE related" i.e. "directly related to financial independence or retirement"? (except perhaps veeeery tangentially depending on one's personal political 'suasion)

It's certainly political - particularly the Krugman link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum rules
"Other than politics not directly related to early retirement, we don't have rules about what is appropriate discussion material."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Related Political Topics
For FIRE related issues concerning public policy, prominent political figures, and topics about FIRE related governmental conduct. Political topics not directly related to financial independence or retirement are not appropriate for this or any other E-R.org forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha's sticky
Posts must be related to the subject of early retirement in more than a tenuous fashion.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
It's about what I would expect from Krugman. ..
As I recall from your posts, the Government is invariably always wrong when it messes with the free market, except when it is to provide you with energy tax credits.
?

Are you referring to this post from armor99, where he is asking how to collect on the energy credit programs?

New Tax laws for energy efficientcy...

I looked at that post, I didn't see anything that indicated that armor99 thought this was a good thing for the govt to do. Simply that since they are doing it, we might as well take advantage of it if we can. I feel the same.

No, that is not hypocrisy, as I explained in great detail a while back using lunches and bus trips as an example. You can still think something is not the best decision, but still take part it in because the group decided that we all will, and you have been 'forced' to pay upfront. No difference here. This is exactly how my analogies apply to the real world.

As far as the Krugman piece, all I see is hate and name-calling. Gee, I could post links from people like Rush L, and I bet he would be in favor of the Tea Parties (just a guess, I have not listened to him in a while). Does that add anything to the discussion, or just create name calling from both sides?

So, what do YOU think about the Tea Parties?

For Taxarkandy: IMO, Tea Parties and Tax Policy are def political AND money/FIRE related. Name calling (or linking articles of that nature) of one or the other political party is not.

-ERD50
Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This thread is now closed. It has strayed from a political discussion related to FIRE to a partisan political debate complete with finger pointing and name calling.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread