Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
CNN got it wrong initially, saying the individual mandate was struck down. Now the report is the law was upheld in its entirety.
Not totally - the expansion of Medicaid was struck down

What is strange/inconsistent is that they found that it was legal for the Congress to require individuals to buy health insurance (but rationalized it as under Congress' taxing authority rather than the commerce clause) but that it was not legal for Congress to require states to expand Medicaid.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #242
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
ACA is uphelp - so i guess if Uncle is going to give me "free" health care why continue w*rking? Certainly is a game changer - even if a different congress tries to change I dont think we can go back once this takes effect.
Actually, Congress could strike it down..... but I think that is going to be impossible with needing 60 votes in the Senate...

I hope to read some on the decision later... but from the little I read, they seemed to say the mandate is a 'tax' and I had said that the gvmt did have the ability to tax us... seems they looked beyond the words and looked at the results....

Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Huh? How could CNN get it that wrong initially?
My take is they reacted to the initial comments of Justice Roberts regarding the rather than waiting for him to complete the reading of his ruling. Trying to be first and allowing accuracy to be a casualty.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #244

Let's try to keep the discussion focused on what the law is and how it's implementation will affect us.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My take is they reacted to the initial comments of Justice Roberts regarding the rather than waiting for him to complete the reading of his ruling. Trying to be first and allowing accuracy to be a casualty.
+1
Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Huh? How could CNN get it that wrong initially?
CNN is really that bad . . . probably pre-recorded analysis so they could be "first" and just pulled the wrong tape.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #247

Thread closed