Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Seems the talking heads are largely in agreement that the hints during Day 1 indicated the court will rule on the issue rather than kicking it down the road.

Regarding today: Much is being made of Justice Kennedy's perceived skepticism regarding the constitutionality of the mandate. If he truly sees things that way, it's very significant.
__________________

__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
l2ridehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PWC VA
Posts: 126
I know it's not possible to get really close estimates of cost, but so far the CBO has doubled the estimate from the original amount. It is a bit scary when it has not even started and the estimate of cost has doubled. That means if it follows other CBO cost estimates the actual cost will end up around 4 times original estimates as reality is usually double what they guess.
__________________

__________________
l2ridehd is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Brett_Cameron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Eastern USA
Posts: 1,010
Hmmm, Post 23 is here.
__________________
Brett_Cameron is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Seems the talking heads are largely in agreement that the hints during Day 1 indicated the court will rule on the issue rather than kicking it down the road.

Regarding today: Much is being made of Justice Kennedy's perceived skepticism regarding the constitutionality of the mandate. If he truly sees things that way, it's very significant.
Like a good Justic, Kennedy didn't really tip his hand as he pointed out both sides...

Conservative justices criticize individual mandate
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
Well, the mandate is a significant piece of proposed legislation. As was noted, there is a heavy burden of proof on the government. We should expect heavy critique. If it's upheld, then it will be a testament to how well it was conceived and written.

We probably won't get many clues until June, but it won't stop the speculation.
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,267
I think we will go a LOT farther than 30 or 33...




And yes, padding the count
__________________
Texas Proud is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
....If it's upheld, then it will be a testament to how well it was conceived and written.
Given how poorly conceived and written virtually everything coming out of DC is these days if it needs to be well conceived and written in order to be upheld then that makes me feel a lot better.

(3 posts left?)
__________________
pb4uski is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
The debate is good to see. Shame on any HS civics teacher who isn't using the present hearing, the legislative battle that preceded it, and the involvement of the executive branch as a case study in the fundamental purposes of the three branches of government and the wisdom of the drafters of the Constitution.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The debate is good to see. Shame on any HS civics teacher who isn't using the present hearing, the legislative battle that preceded it, and the involvement of the executive branch as a case study in the fundamental purposes of the three branches of government and the wisdom of the drafters of the Constitution.
I agree and appreciate hearing the issues being brought out in the debate. We still have to wait till June before we know how SCOTUS will rule.
__________________
powerplay is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think we will go a LOT farther than 30 or 33...




And yes, padding the count
This is a bogus thread. I think somebody mugged Porky. Plus like a fool I watched some coverage on Peter Rose(PBS) and my ears shut down and my eyes glazed over.

So how much was the pool up too anyway?

heh heh heh -
__________________
unclemick is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 359
Just today, a big move in the information markets (now at 56% likely to strike down):

Intrade - The US Supreme Court to rule individual mandate unconstitutional before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012 is 56.8% probable
__________________
FinanceGeek is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,425
Hmmm...I have post 32, so...

These guys over here are right, and anybody over there is a moron! And God (or the Flying Spaghetti Monster) is on our side! And...darn it, y'all and your pig have ruined my ability to obnoxiously argue politics.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hmmm...I have post 32, so...

These guys over here are right, and anybody over there is a moron! And God (or the Flying Spaghetti Monster) is on our side! And...darn it, y'all and your pig have ruined my ability to obnoxiously argue politics.
No, no, NO - you've got it the wrong way round - the guys over THERE are the imbeciles, and the country's going to hell in a hand-basket if they get their way.
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The debate is good to see. Shame on any HS civics teacher who isn't using the present hearing, the legislative battle that preceded it, and the involvement of the executive branch as a case study in the fundamental purposes of the three branches of government and the wisdom of the drafters of the Constitution.
+1

I attended high school in Northern Virginia during Watergate, and had the good fortune to have a Government teacher who turned the entire class into a Watergate workshop.
__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Only if I lose the pool.
Starting a pool about the constitutionality of the government starting a pool...

...the sweet irony.
__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Balatonfured, Hungary
Posts: 69
I am constantly shocked that we Americans have given up completely on the idea of universal coverage as a Federal expense. It is absolutely insane what I see going on in the US and the costs incurred. Obama care appears to have benefited the insurance companies more than the people using the system. It also amazes me that we can be constantly at war with multiple wars simultaneously at horrendous costs and no one even thinks that is abnormal. To not give health care as a benefit to Americans is crazy. Prior to Medicare costs in the US were normal and affordable. Doctors were not millionaires. Hospitals were not corporate businesses and non-profit was the status quo. But, after Medicare things got out of control through poorly managed payment systems which gave the green light to doctors and insurance companies to start making serious money. It snowballed from there and we now have this horribly costly and ineffective system we have today. Health care should not be a business. It should be performed at adequate levels to everyone on an equal basis and should be guaranteed in our Constitution. Maybe that is a socialistic idea but who said that was a bad thing? I served in the US Army for 28 years and nothing is more socialistic than the military. I have the worst possible health care coverage that the military offers despite my being promised free health care for life. I suffer under Tricare Overseas which pays roughly 65% of costs. My wife and I moved to Hungary where health care is a state run operation, all doctors are civil servants and all have close to the same salary which is roughly $2000 a month. All of them operate private clinics in the evening for patients like us who are willing to pay cash. Expenses are very low and roughly 10% or less of those in the US. We are not covered nor will we be ever covered by the Hungarian National Health system but we do pay cash and it is easily affordable. Even catastrophic care is cheap here. Why Americans don't just rise up and demand basic human rights from our government I cannot understand. Has anyone ever tried to figure out what the government does with our tax dollars? I can't see it doing anything for me directly. So, I am happy to reap the benefits from the former Soviet system here. I have a lot of friends who are doctors and all are doing relatively well here and despite their low official salaries they still are among the top 10% earners in the country. But, here anyone earning more than $40K is considered rich.
__________________
borschelrh is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,412
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||

Oh well, it had to happen eventually. only 6 posts later than projected.
__________________
pb4uski is online now  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #38
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,439
We can keep the thread going. Let's just move right along...
__________________
MichaelB is online now  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The debate is good to see. Shame on any HS civics teacher who isn't using the present hearing, the legislative battle that preceded it, and the involvement of the executive branch as a case study in the fundamental purposes of the three branches of government and the wisdom of the drafters of the Constitution.
Or as a case of legislative abuse of government............ The individual mandate is simply a removal of our personal freedoms, nothing more, nothing less, and really has little to do with insurance, but much more about entitlement. The govt solicitor got his head handed to him yesterday.......
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by borschelrh View Post
I am constantly shocked that we Americans have given up completely on the idea of universal coverage as a Federal expense. It is absolutely insane what I see going on in the US and the costs incurred. Obama care appears to have benefited the insurance companies more than the people using the system. It also amazes me that we can be constantly at war with multiple wars simultaneously at horrendous costs and no one even thinks that is abnormal. To not give health care as a benefit to Americans is crazy. Prior to Medicare costs in the US were normal and affordable. Doctors were not millionaires. Hospitals were not corporate businesses and non-profit was the status quo. But, after Medicare things got out of control through poorly managed payment systems which gave the green light to doctors and insurance companies to start making serious money. It snowballed from there and we now have this horribly costly and ineffective system we have today. Health care should not be a business. It should be performed at adequate levels to everyone on an equal basis and should be guaranteed in our Constitution. Maybe that is a socialistic idea but who said that was a bad thing? I served in the US Army for 28 years and nothing is more socialistic than the military. I have the worst possible health care coverage that the military offers despite my being promised free health care for life. I suffer under Tricare Overseas which pays roughly 65% of costs. My wife and I moved to Hungary where health care is a state run operation, all doctors are civil servants and all have close to the same salary which is roughly $2000 a month. All of them operate private clinics in the evening for patients like us who are willing to pay cash. Expenses are very low and roughly 10% or less of those in the US. We are not covered nor will we be ever covered by the Hungarian National Health system but we do pay cash and it is easily affordable. Even catastrophic care is cheap here. Why Americans don't just rise up and demand basic human rights from our government I cannot understand. Has anyone ever tried to figure out what the government does with our tax dollars? I can't see it doing anything for me directly. So, I am happy to reap the benefits from the former Soviet system here. I have a lot of friends who are doctors and all are doing relatively well here and despite their low official salaries they still are among the top 10% earners in the country. But, here anyone earning more than $40K is considered rich.

What's the population of Hungary? Not apples to apples..........
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For the Birds! Brdofpray Life after FIRE 121 04-17-2014 07:23 PM
Nearing the End of a Military Career Parr0thead98 Hi, I am... 129 05-22-2013 06:10 PM
How am I using 21,000 gallons of water a month? soupcxan FIRE and Money 118 05-05-2012 02:00 PM
Creative ways to pump up the compensation? MooreBonds Young Dreamers 20 03-26-2012 11:51 AM
Scoring of "Millionaires Tax" proposal only brings in $47B over 10 years MasterBlaster FIRE Related Public Policy 57 03-25-2012 03:21 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.