Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
For me to believe this, I'd have to believe that the demand of 14.8MM unemployed people isn't constrained by their unemployment.

And with respect to politicians (and the electorate) having their cake and eating it too, I completely agree. We shouldn't have squandered the nations balance sheet with guns and butter programs during the good times. But we did and that limits our ability to deal with the current economic situation.

Edit to Add: With respect to our fiscal constraints, there is a reasonable way through but it requires adult leadership. Regardless of today's large deficits (inflated by reduced tax revenue and higher 'safety-net' spending) our real structural budget problems are entirely about future entitlement growth, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. It's certainly possible to tackle the entitlement problem today (reduced future benefit promises and higher future taxes) in a way that solidifies confidence in our fiscal health, without negatively impacting today's economy. That would free up some capacity to deal with the current slump.

Don't hold your breath.

Just a couple of comments...

I do agree about the unemployement demand, but until there is something to move them to employed status, the demand curve is not going to move.. and I might suggest that the cost of getting them employed by doing some monetary policies etc. etc. can be quite high... now, this is from memory and is based back when Japan was blowing and going... but I remember reading that the 2.1 million car import limit meant that it cost something in the neighborhood of $250,000 per job saved in the auto industry... (and I think employment has gone down since then... just a guess)... SOOO, we spent a lot of money to keep auto workers employed and in the end their jobs went away anyhow...

As to the changes to future benefits.... as the discussion on the public pension thread shows, there will be a big fight with a lot of people who think that the status quo can continue.. and nothing will be done (which you said)..

To me, one of the things that they could do is NOT extend the Bush tax cuts... come up with some other tax cuts that would stimulate employement.. but also make sure they are cost effective... not $250,000 per job..

I have not looked, but what was the cost of jobs 'saved' on the last stimulus package

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
As much as I hated the bankers and their CDOs, I think TARP did keep the economy from collapsing into chaos.

But, but, but those bankers got off way too easy. I would feel better if the TARP money was charged with loan shark interest rates, to really hurt them in their pocketbooks.

Oops, forgot that it will be their shareholders who will get hurt. The bankers themselves, nah, they will always have their bonus. It does make one want to believe in fairness in the afterlife, doesn't it?

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote