Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Trade wars
Old 04-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Trade wars

Some media reports that the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is back in play.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The market seems to have forgotten about the possibility of a trade war with China. It doesn't look to me like things are actually looking better--

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1HR03Z
Hamlet is offline   Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

agree, the topic is not getting as much press as it once did. however, not all news is dire as see this:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-over-tariffs/

Perhaps I should consider investments in automotive stocks (do not have any now among my individual stock holdings)
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #144
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
You don't build aircraft carriers or fighter jets without steel or aluminum.

Instead, you either produce the necessary materials yourself, or you purchase them from a trusted ally that has a price-production advantage. Perhaps an ally that has a cheaper source of electricity needed to make those products (such as hydroelectric power).

Off the top of my head here (just spitballin') ... an ally like Canada.

That way, you get the aircraft carriers and fighter jets you need, and save the taxpayers money.
Not sure if there is a huge correlation here but how significant could our trade deficit with Canada be? Metro New York Cities economy is bigger ($1.7 trillion) than ALL of Canada’s economy.
Iowaboy1 is offline   Reply
Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 AM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

A couple of points to note:
Trade between the US and Canada is already fairly balanced. US data show a slight trade surplus with Canada. Canadian data show a slight trade surplus with the US. It comes down to methodology to calculate the goods AND services being traded like how do you count goods imported from China to Canada and then forwarded on into the US. But in terms of the huge amount of trade between the US and Canada, it's already a fairly balanced score so there shouldn't need to be significant changes to re-level the playing field. Any changes to say NAFTA should be done to modernize it. Eg It was originally introduced in the early 90's when the Internet was in its infancy.

Dairy is protected in Canada and I agree it's a valid trade complaint. We have a supply management system where farmers are given quotas in return for price certainty. Consumers pay more but ensures the dairy industry stays on solid footing. NAFTA allowed for countries to take certain items off the table, like dairy or conversely like softwood lumber which the US has significant duties/tariffs on.
However, note that dairy is a small component of the overall trade between the US and Canada and that the US still exports more dairy to Canada than Canada to the US. I suspect more dairy access will eventually be allowed as part of the negotiations.

The path the trade war is going down isn't going to stop trade with the US but basically force countries to start building closer trade ties to China. By closing off trade, the US is basically allowing its influence to diminish. China is already starting to develop equivalent international organizations like the IMF.
IMO, the US and the western world have overall, greatly benefited with the current structure with constantly improving living standards. The problem is that segments of the economy have been impacted by evolving technology (automation, AI, etc) and changing standards (eg. Moving away from fossil fuels) and not enough of the benefits have been directed to support the folks in the impacted industries/towns.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #146
Administrator

Thanks for the discussion but the thread has moved so far into partisan politics that we have decided to remove some offending posts and close the thread"
MichaelB is offline   Reply
Closed Thread