Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyp View Post
Ha! to you, have you checked lately. You are missing "something", a NEGATIVE inflation adjustment of -5.56%.

You evidently don't know, you should have said your I bonds pay 0 to 3.25%. Don't know what you mean by "real rate", but I bonds have a fixed rate + an inflation rate adjustment = composite rate, recalculated every 6 months. The calculation of the composite rate is complex on the inflation rate adjustment portion, but if you tell me the purchase month and year, I will tell you your fixed rate and the 6 month period that you will receive 0% interest, beginning some time in 2009. For those 6 months there is no gain in value. It is because the CPI-U was much lower in May than last November, thus a negative number in the inflation adjustment that more than cancels out the fixed rate when added together, thankfully never adjusted to less than 0.0%.

The following 6 months you may get more than 0%, but I think unlikely to get 6% so as to average 3%, as the next inflation adjustment calculation is in November.

I agree there is not an across-the-board reason for redeeming I bonds, and in fact am keeping some of mine, the ones with a higher fixed rate, even if now paying 0.0%. I like the inflation protection as serious inflation may be coming. Deferred taxes that will have to be paid should be considered.
-ZZYP-
You seem not to uderstand the difference between nominal and real bonds andssimply semto be chasing the highest nominal yield you can find. That is up to you: its your money. However, most of us are trying to earn the highest real (after inflation, plus or minus) return we can get for a given level of risk over the long term. So a transitory period where I bonds with relatively high real coupons (fixed component) of north of 3% earn no interest because if a negative inflation adjustment is easily outweighed by the attractive real return over time. Now if you have a bunch of I bonds with a low (sub 1.5%) real coupon (fixed component), I can maybe see a case for turning them in, but most of us would not have bought such bonds in the first place because they are not that attractive an investment after inflation even when the nominal yield is high (periods of higher inflation).

And I think it is fair to say that most of usunderstand how inflation adjusted bonds work. You wouldn't happen to be looking to sell us anything, would you?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So a transitory period where I bonds with relatively high real coupons (fixed component) of north of 3% earn no interest because if a negative inflation adjustment is easily outweighed by the attractive real return over time.
Here, Here!!!

I'd never, ever sell an I Bond with a 3+% real rate. Don't care what the near-term inflation adjustment is.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
I agree on high fixed rate I's
Old 09-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

I agree on high fixed rate I's

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Here, Here!!!

I'd never, ever sell an I Bond with a 3+% real rate. Don't care what the near-term inflation adjustment is.
I agree because I too am keeping my I Bonds with high fixed interest, and did not advise anyone different. I just pointed out that a feakish inflation rate adjustment brought even high fixed rate bonds to 6 months of zero interest.

Why freakish, who would have worked through the math example, likely guessed that a 2.78% 6 month CPI change would lower I interest twice as much (or or to 0% if that is higher) to give 6 months of 0% interest rate to everyone I's, even yours.

Future potential is a different story. However, if you "never, ever" cash in that bond, what good is it, other than sort of pretty. The only way that I know of to get that good interest out is to redeem the bond.
zzyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Well, I hope you would after 30 years, since they won't earn any more interest after that.

It'll be a sad day for me in 2030 when I have to redeem mine (3.4% fixed).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
An error in my message, corrected $10K, not $10
Old 09-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

An error in my message, corrected $10K, not $10

Quote:
[...] Since with current rules you can only purchase $10 per I's per year per person, and I bonds bought now through October earn 0%, why bother now.
[...]
Should be:

Since with current rules you can only purchase $10K I's per year per person ($5K paper and $5K direct), and I bonds bought now through October earn 0%, why bother now.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, if you "never, ever" cash in that bond, what good is it, other than sort of pretty. The only way that I know of to get that good interest out is to redeem the bond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, I hope you would after 30 years, since they won't earn any more interest after that.
I often wonder if literal interpretations like this are honest misunderstandings or are deliberately argumentative.

In either event, after they stop accruing interest they don't really have a 3+% real rate anymore, do they? So even if you TRY to misinterpret my comment by applying a ridiculously literal interpretation, it still makes sense as written.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
3.6% fixed rate? Unlikely
Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

3.6% fixed rate? Unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am not selling my I-bonds with real rates interest rates of between 3.4 to 3.6%, with tax free compounding, until 30 years is up or I die which ever comes first.
According to the Treasury's I Saving Bonds Rates & Terms web page, the highest fixed rate for I bonds was 3.4%, and that was only a two month period in 1998.

The actual rate (composite of fixed + inflation adjustment) was recently as high as 7.99% with 3% fixed (before it dropped to 0 for 6 months).
Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
According to the Treasury's I Saving Bonds Rates & Terms web page, the highest fixed rate for I bonds was 3.4%, and that was only a two month period in 1998.

The actual rate (composite of fixed + inflation adjustment) was recently as high as 7.99% with 3% fixed (before it dropped to 0 for 6 months).
Nope I-bonds bought between May and Nov 2000 earned a 3.6% rate. Actually the ones I bought in Aug 2000 earned a slightly higher rate, since I got a 1% cash back from my Discover Card and I got a ~45 day float on the money. . The treasury department stopped allowing the use of credit cards to buy I-bonds and frankly buying them $500 at time was somewhat of pain. In quite buying them when the fixed rate dropped to 3.00% in 2001.

I was just learning about the 4% SWR so I sold tech stocks to buy I-bonds and TIPs with interest rates close to 4% in 1999 and 2000. Probably the best "market timing", I've ever done.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, you are off to great start!

Move over Millionaire Mommy, move over *****!

Ha
Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Move over Millionaire Mommy, move over *****!
Ha
It seemed so exciting for a moment a "free" secretary willing to crunch the numbers for me and now several of you guys throwing cold water on the dream.

I'm awake now. Clifp and Co. congratulations on your timing. I get pretty excited when I can buy TIPS at 2.5%+ would love to see Ibond rates like that too.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
It seemed so exciting for a moment a "free" secretary willing to crunch the numbers for me and now several of you guys throwing cold water on the dream.

I'm awake now. Clifp and Co. congratulations on your timing. I get pretty excited when I can buy TIPS at 2.5%+ would love to see Ibond rates like that too.

LOL Millionaire Mom that brings back fond memories.

Ah but the rest of the story is the "fun" part. You see those TIP bonds I bought, I sold in early 2008 at nice profit. I then proceeded to invest most of the money, in big name name banks stocks like BAC and bought a lot Sallie Mae inflation protected bonds ISM/OSM. Let see the BofA I bought at around $27 I sold recently at $13, and those medium term A rated ISM/OSM bonds I bought for $20 are now worth $12 and like all inflation bonds yielding near 0%.

Hence my initial comment about keeping the Ibonds.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finally put the iBond composite rate formula into a spreadsheet. Here is a plot of the composite rate vs. the inflation rate for various fixed rates.
iBond rate.gif
It may be more productive to view iBond return in real terms. Here is the real iBond rate vs inflation for several fixed rates.
Real iBond rates.gif
Here is the spreadsheet
iBond rates.xls
The formula is here
Individual - I Savings Bonds Rates & Terms
It is interesting that the composite rate is not just fixed + inflation.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You asked for advice on when to sell, I can only tell you what I did.
I sold $90K face value (+ int) of I bonds purchased in Dec '05 on Sep. 2nd of this year on
Hi zzyp,

Welcome to the board.

I was also lucky enough to also buy I-Bonds in Oct 2001 and get the 3% + inflation rate. One of the best things I've done, retirement and investment wise,for me.I'm curious, how did you purchase $90k face value in Dec '05?
In 01 the limit was 30k per SS number, so my SO and I each bought the limit?How did you get 90k?
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Hi zzyp,

Welcome to the board.

I was also lucky enough to also buy I-Bonds in Oct 2001 and get the 3% + inflation rate. One of the best things I've done, retirement and investment wise,for me.I'm curious, how did you purchase $90k face value in Dec '05?
In 01 the limit was 30k per SS number, so my SO and I each bought the limit?How did you get 90k?
Probably had his pet sheep buy some.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Probably had his pet sheep buy some.
How purchase $90K I's in '05, Want $20K now?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

How purchase $90K I's in '05, Want $20K now?

One message said:
"I was also lucky enough to also buy I-Bonds in Oct 2001 and get the 3% + inflation rate. One of the best things I've done, retirement and investment wise,for me.I'm curious, how did you purchase $90k face value in Dec '05?
In 01 the limit was 30k per SS number, so my SO and I each bought the limit?How did you get 90k?"

First, as one query asked, I didn't use my sheep.

The rules with $30K limit allow $120K per couple. $30K limit on on-line purchase, 30K paper bonds at the bank per purchaser's Social Sec.#, thus $60K for me with spouse as co-owner and $60K purchased by my spouse, me as co-owner. That adds up to $120K, but I set up only one on-line treasury account so only did $90K. It is no stretching of the rules, they state on-line limit is apart from paper bond purchase limit.

With the current $5K limit, the limit, using rules above would be $20K per couple. WHYBefore you consider it, look at current I bond rate. Rate will change in November, but any I bond purchase now starts off with 0.0% for the first 6 months before a positive rate. Waiting till Nov. maybe you could start out for 6 mo. with above zero rate. (Icon means crazy. I try not give advice unless asked, I just mean it sounds crazy, in my Humble Opinion)
Smile Happy to redeem in 30 years
Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Smile Happy to redeem in 30 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go

"Well, I hope you would after 30 years, since they won't earn any more interest after that.

It'll be a sad day for me in 2030 when I have to redeem mine (3.4% fixed)."

Sad, not me, because I am approaching 80, so alive then is better than expected.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
One message said:
"I was also lucky enough to also buy I-Bonds in Oct 2001 and get the 3% + inflation rate. One of the best things I've done, retirement and investment wise,for me.I'm curious, how did you purchase $90k face value in Dec '05?
In 01 the limit was 30k per SS number, so my SO and I each bought the limit?How did you get 90k?"

First, as one query asked, I didn't use my sheep.

The rules with $30K limit allow $120K per couple. $30K limit on on-line purchase, 30K paper bonds at the bank per purchaser's Social Sec.#, thus $60K for me with spouse as co-owner and $60K purchased by my spouse, me as co-owner. That adds up to $120K, but I set up only one on-line treasury account so only did $90K. It is no stretching of the rules, they state on-line limit is apart from paper bond purchase limit.

With the current $5K limit, the limit, using rules above would be $20K per couple. WHYBefore you consider it, look at current I bond rate. Rate will change in November, but any I bond purchase now starts off with 0.0% for the first 6 months before a positive rate. Waiting till Nov. maybe you could start out for 6 mo. with above zero rate. (Icon means crazy. I try not give advice unless asked, I just mean it sounds crazy, in my Humble Opinion)
I thought the limit was 30k per ss number back then, regardless of how you purchased them and it changed to so much on line and so much in person when they lowered the limits. From the above, I guess I was misinformed.
Thanks for the answer.(wish I had bought more in 01)
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
"Real" rates are unreal to me with negative C
Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

"Real" rates are unreal to me with negative C

I think I now understand the term "real rates", which are suppossed be be good. If so, I should be overjoyed to get an I bond 0% gain over 6 months, because I am getting a higher real rate than if I was receiving an interest rate above 0% on my I Bond. The higher the rate of DEflation, the higher is my real rate of 0%.

To me, "real" rates are hard to understand, and somewhat unreal. Also the math of
Yes, there was a 3.6% fixed rate, true
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes, there was a 3.6% fixed rate, true

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Nope I-bonds bought between May and Nov 2000 earned a 3.6% rate. Actually the ones I bought in Aug 2000 earned a slightly higher rate, since I got a 1% cash back from my Discover Card and I got a ~45 day float on the money. . The treasury department stopped allowing the use of credit cards to buy I-bonds and frankly buying them $500 at time was somewhat of pain. In quite buying them when the fixed rate dropped to 3.00% in 2001.

I was just learning about the 4% SWR so I sold tech stocks to buy I-bonds and TIPs with interest rates close to 4% in 1999 and 2000. Probably the best "market timing", I've ever done.
Sorry for doubting, I overlooked the period of 3.6% interest in looking at the Fixed rate table. I too bought some bonds with a cash-back credit card when that option was available.

Tags
cpi, fixed, inflation, series i