Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you for the correction, I was not aware of that as I was going by the information in the link you provided.

Quote:
On June 21, 2007, the U.S. Senate passed a comprehensive energy bill by a vote of 65-27. The bill, H.R. 6, contains a provision that would significantly improve automotive fuel economy standards for the first time in thirty years. The product of a careful bipartisan compromise, the provision calls for an increase to 35 mile per gallon by 2020 – averaged across the entire fleet manufactured or sold in the United States – while providing flexibility for automakers to cost-effectively meet the standard without jeopardizing U.S. jobs. The Senate bill eliminates the two-fleet distinction by treating foreign and so-called "domestically-made" cars the same in an attributed-based system where cars and trucks meet various requirements based on their size classes.
And yes, we do agree, it would be much better for the government to stay out of it. It just bugs me when people (not you Samclem) paint the auto companies as the victim or the government as the big bad guy (excluding the companies own responsibility).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Thank you for the correction, I was not aware of that as I was going by the information in the link you provided.

And yes, we do agree, it would be much better for the government to stay out of it. It just bugs me when people (not you Samclem) paint the auto companies as the victim or the government as the big bad guy (excluding the companies own responsibility).
The auto industry has never been a victim. They are paying for their arrogance and poor decisions, including mortgaging their future to the UAW because they were too afraid to allow a strike by the workers. GM management has agreed to almost every outlandish demand the UAW has made. I guess they never counted on the fact that at some point the American consumer would move on to higher quality carmakers, they counted too much on "patriotism", instead of focusing on improving quality. Hopefully its not too late to change course. I think the Chevy malibu could have been made 10 or 15 years ago........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've heard some really good things about the new Ford Focus Hybrid as well (or was it Fusion).
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I've heard some really good things about the new Ford Focus Hybrid as well (or was it Fusion).
It is the Fusion (Ford) and Milan (Mercury). Ford decided to use more Mazda products in their new cars and it is paying dividends. The Focus has been pretty reliable also. The Fusion Hybrid looks interesting and has clean lines.

A saw several Chevy Traverses when I was on my trip. I talked to one owners when I was filling up at a gas station. He loved the vehicle and said he was getting around 24-25 on the highway, so that is encouraging.......

Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - this fall I trade in my Chevy Equinox for a nice 2009 4.0 L V8 Toyota Tundra?

Grin and bear it when I find out the trade in value.

heh heh heh - I remember the fun in the 70's, motor vehicle wise adjusting to smog controls and unleaded gas. This go round ought to be a trip! . Tesla as a second car if I hit Powerball.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Sooo - this fall I trade in my Chevy Equinox for a nice 2009 4.0 L V8 Toyota Tundra?

Grin and bear it when I find out the trade in value.
Won't be much, but I am sure you got a lot of money off when you bought it...hasn't GM had $5000+ rebates for about 10 years?

Quote:
heh heh heh - I remember the fun in the 70's, motor vehicle wise adjusting to smog controls and unleaded gas. This go round ought to be a trip! .
My mechanic buddy in college took off his catalytic converter and some other hoses and things under the hood and stuck them in his trunk. His car had more power after that......

Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
An update in the ongoing saga!

From the WSJ:

Don't you just know that former GM CEO Rick Wagoner is all broken up about this. He's probably already sent poor Mr Rattner some flowers.
A further update regarding Steve Rattner, the government official who fired the elected head of GM's board. The Karmic train just keeps coming around:

Quote:
Former Obama administration official Steven Rattner was sued by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo on Thursday for his role in a pay-to-play scheme involving New York's pension fund.
Mr. Rattner agreed to pay $6.2 million and to a two-year ban from associating with any investment adviser or broker-dealer to settle the SEC allegations, the SEC said Thursday.
Separately, Mr. Cuomo's office filed two lawsuits against Mr. Rattner, seeking at least $26 million from Mr. Rattner and an immediate lifetime ban from the securities industry.