Unrelated to FIRE, but pretty funny

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This article takes President Obama's recent car analogy and extends it beyond the ends of the earth. It doesn't have anything to do with anything FIRE related, but it's non-partisan and hopefully not so offensive that the thread gets pulled. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time. It made me laugh out loud. :LOL:

When Falls the Coliseum Barack Obama’s car

I thought it was brilliant, Harley. I love the gas station part and agreed, it does pay equally to both parties.
Also funny was the people in the trunk shouting that they have ideas for getting the car out of the ditch, but no one can hear them.

It has been interesting watching the metamorphoses of our culture. It seems that we are in the age of euphemisms. Just off the top of my head:

"Used cars" are now "pre-owned."
"Rudeness" is now a "first amendment issue."
"Manifest Destiny" was in reality wiping out the native culture.

I could go on and on, but I have something I need to do....:greetings10:

The Manifest Destiny comment just goes to show that we've been using euphemisms to cover over uncomfortable topics for a long time.

I gave that piece 4 out of 10... it rambled. It got real car/oil industry issues involved in the metaphor, which was confusing. It also basically comes down to "hey everybody, all politicians are stupid", which is amusing the first time you hear it, but hardly constitutes original thought.

I don't know, Nick, I still find it refreshing to be reminded that politicians are stupid, LOL. But then again, I don't own a TV so the message doesn't reach me very often.

It seems that we are in the age of euphemisms.

We've had the Age of Enlightenment (or Age of Reason).

Now, I think we are in the Age of Sarcasm. A person really doesn't have to know anything. They just need to follow the formula. Jon Stewart is good at it.

Sarcasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes. It may be used in an indirect manner, and have the form of irony, as in “What a fine musician you turned out to be!” or it may be used in the form of a direct statement, “You couldn't play one piece correctly if you had two assistants.” The distinctive quality of sarcasm is present in the spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal inflection.

Back
Top Bottom