Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I first voted nearly 50 years ago (1968). I will not vote in the current election as none of the candidates that I have to consider are worthy of my vote. I am considering complete retirement from voting.

I'll have to go along with whoever you folks vote in. I don't expect any of it will directly affect me anyway.
You can write in a candidate, even if it may appear pointless.

And then, there are other positions, issues, and propositions to consider.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Yup. The Federal stuff (pres, senate and rep) took up less than a half page of the 4 page ballot. Then there was the state stuff, the local stuff and a dozen props.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The line issue is why the fill in the dots and scan method is best. Because with that you can put up essentially an unlimited number of voting places, since all you need is a table, chairs a pen and some cardboard. Plus it does give a record that if need be could be hand counted. when done you just put the ballot into the scanning machine.
Yes, but... The judges who hand out the ballots and make sure you are alive are still a constraint. That's where our line was. They set up a bunch of tables for people to fill in. Not a problem (although some wanted to wait for booths for privacy). But handing out the ballots takes time.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be glad when it's over
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (18.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg iscs002.jpg (19.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Waited 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10:30 this morning. DGF went at 5:30 PM, same polling station, and was in and out in 6 minutes. Go figure.

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

In PA and in line as I type. I have been in line about 20 minutes and it looks like another 15 to the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Sent in ballot about a month ago, in NJ.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I remember in the past, when not voting by mail, having to bring a premarked sample ballot with me to spend minimal time in the booth.
This is SOP for me... I could not have voted so fast if I wasn't just transferring my choices from the sample ballot to the real ballot... Especially with so many state and local propositions.... We've got two Stadium Tax bills alone - one by the football team, the other by a local gadfly.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #129

Just came from voting. I live in very small town, I was voter # 239. No line but took about 20 minutes due to talking to neighbors.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #130
Full time employment: Posting here.

best thing about election day is a stop to the calls and commercials....
Old 11-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #131
Administrator

I voted when the polls opened this morning. It took about 30 minutes, although I suspect it would have been shorter had I just waited a while. It was obvious that the woman in line next to me was in favor of a different candidate, but we both agreed that it was a grand and glorious day to stand in line and peaceably exercise our franchise.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Voted at about 2PM-only a short wait. Sadly, DH was too sick to go out. The hospice nurse gave him some morphine at 11:30 and I'm afraid he might have voted for Truman anyway. I'd looked into mail ballots but they have to be notarized. I'd had a notary come to the house to get DH's signature on another document and he charged $25. Cash. I thought I'd be able to get DH to the polling place but I was wrong.

Very glad I could vote, anyway. Women fought too long and too hard for me to just skip voting.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
...Very glad I could vote, anyway. Women fought too long and too hard for me to just skip voting.
Women have been allowed to vote since 1920. It's been almost a century.

But they did not just pick on women. Just a bit earlier, poor white men were not allowed to vote. Back some more, and even Jews, Quakers, and Catholics were banned from the voting booths.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #134

Quote:
We do have cool stickers.
Most of the "I Voted" stickers are a generic flag or stars motif. I'm surprised someone approved a "Blue Dog" sticker. It's not a donkey or an elephant, but it's been used as a symbol for partisan politics.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #135

Quote:

But they did not just pick on women. Just a bit earlier, poor white men were not allowed to vote. Back some more, and even Jews, Quakers, and Catholics were banned from the voting booths.
I can still remember a middle aged blonde lady in Illinois being interviewed on TV just before the 1960 election. She said Kennedy should not be elected, because then the Pope would run the country.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Most of the "I Voted" stickers are a generic flag or stars motif. I'm surprised someone approved a "Blue Dog" sticker. It's not a donkey or an elephant, but it's been used as a symbol for partisan politics.
What partisan politics? It's a very famous Louisiana artist's work (George Rodrigue), in the New Orleans Museum of Art, on JazzFest posters, sculptures all over town, depictions in the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel, on billboards, at my dentist's office, and so on. If it is partisan in any way, I have never heard anyone here ever say one thing about that. I have met people with extreme political leanings on both sides of the spectrum, who love the Blue Dog.

Personally I hate the Blue Dog because it looks like it is stoned to me, with those pinpoint eyeballs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Rodrigue

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
seng: one of my co-w*rkers waited over 2 hours. (seng, we live in the same area.)

I'm a bit baffled by the early voting thing. I tried it once, and all I remember is waiting.
We went to vote early the day before elections, and the line up was 1.5 hrs, so we walked out.

On election day we walked to the official poll place for us, and there was a line up of 1 person. A 1 minute wait
Old 11-09-2016, 12:27 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

And Asians didn't get the right until 1948 or 1952 depending on which site you read. It was tied to citizenship, even if you were born here.

http://www.kqed.org/assets/pdf/educa...s-timeline.pdf
Old 11-09-2016, 12:39 AM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What partisan politics? It's a very famous Louisiana artist's work (George Rodrigue), in the New Orleans Museum of Art, on JazzFest posters, sculptures all over town, depictions in the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel, on billboards, at my dentist's office, and so on. If it is partisan in any way, I have never heard anyone here ever say one thing about that. I have met people with extreme political leanings on both sides of the spectrum, who love the Blue Dog.
"Blue dog <name of a political party>" is a phrase I haven't heard in many years, but at one time it's partisan meaning was clear. No idea if Rodrigue was aware of that.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Dunno if I'll bother. Still not retired and would require getting to office late, or leaving early.
Actually ended up feeling guilty, left during rush hour, and voted. 5 minutes, car door to car door. Only three boxes to check (Pres/USHouse/State_Legis); apparently the primary election is when they shoehorn in all the excess stuff that resulted in motionless lines.

[mod edit]