Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Fastest vote ever--only three people ahead of us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4429.JPG (174.5 KB, 13 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am always thankful to live in a town with a population of 3100 on election day.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I've been enjoying a lot of polling and election related phone calls. I may wait to vote until next week so that all the excitement can continue.
The political phone calls have stopped for me. Else, I would forward to you as you enjoy them so much.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
He said that judges that sit too long tend to think they have become God. So, his resolution was to vote them down, unless he knew differently about them. If a judge was really good, he should have enough Yes votes to cancel out my friend's No vote. So, I have been doing the same.
There seems to be no way to vote a judge down on our ballot, unless you mean uncovering who the incumbent is (which is not disclosed on the ballot) and voting for the other one.

And back on topic...I went down to the school and was in and out of there in about 10 minutes...thanks to all of the early voters, some of which waited upwards of an hour to vote early
Old 11-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

First time in a couple of decades I hadn't early voted, but was out of town for three weeks. Early voting is for only two weeks now, not a month like it used to be.

Returned home yesterday. Was half way expecting long lines at the voting place, but no lines at all. Went in, waited a couple of minutes for an available machine, out in 10 mins.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I thought I was done with political commercials but just remembers that I have a number of shows DVRed that I have yet to watch. But at least I can fast forward through those.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
There seems to be no way to vote a judge down on our ballot, unless you mean uncovering who the incumbent is (which is not disclosed on the ballot) and voting for the other one.

And back on topic...I went down to the school and was in and out of there in about 10 minutes...thanks to all of the early voters, some of which waited upwards of an hour to vote early
seng: one of my co-w*rkers waited over 2 hours. (seng, we live in the same area.)

I'm a bit baffled by the early voting thing. I tried it once, and all I remember is waiting.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

I voted early as I mailed in my ballot while working out of town. Will see the result tonight.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There seems to be no way to vote a judge down on our ballot, unless you mean uncovering who the incumbent is (which is not disclosed on the ballot) and voting for the other one...
Each state is different on this one. Here, the state judges are appointed, then serve until mandatory retirement age, somewhat similar to the US Supreme Justices.

However, the public has the choice of voting any state judge out. Each judge must have more Yes than No votes to stay.

PS. Oops. It's way more complicated than that. Not all judges are appointed, meaning some are elected. That depends on the counties. And some judges are chosen by the AZ Supreme Court. And even the AZ Supreme Court Justices face the retention vote. It does not look like any judge has a secure job for life.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #90

Love my somewhat small town. Voting location is a 1 minute drive. Or a couple minute walk if it didn't rain yesterday. Or 30 seconds if there was a gate in the fence.
Took about 15 minutes door to door.
We do have cool stickers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vote.jpg (546.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

I just drove down to our polling place, to check things out. Thought I might vote early, and then go back to drop off F to vote after he wakes up.

Upon arrival at 10:30 AM, I saw no lines at all outside in the (light) rain! That's great. However, both parking lots were filled, and the closest parking spot was 2-3 blocks away. So, they must have the lines winding through the stacks at the little branch library that is our polling place.

I decided to wait and vote later today. It's sort of a gamble but I'd rather vote with F, and I don't see much advantage to voting this morning.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted at 9:00 a.m. today. After the w*rkers went to w*rk; there was just one person in front of me. Easy Peasy. It was in an assisted living facility where I bought some biscotti from a resident - seems they are doing a bake event for a charity. Nice !

Rich
Voting
Old 11-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
.....Another thing that is weird here is that there is only a 10 foot perimeter where we are protected from electioneering. So we have to walk past friendly but very annoying people just outside the door of the church that is our polling place. Then the church has a bake sale inside the door.....

I would never early vote if our polling place had a bake sale. Your turnout must be near 100%.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not this time, but the last time in our area, an incumbent judge avoided prosecution by withdrawing their name from the election, but not in time to have the ballots changed.

Despite that, they had the most votes.
Ex-Conroe judge gets most votes, but won't be donning robe again - Houston Chronicle
Old 11-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I've been enjoying a lot of polling and election related phone calls.
You know, I haven't had even ONE election related phone call. Must be because I dropped my landline when I moved in 2015. None on my cell phone either, for some reason.

I haven't had much election spam in my mailbox either. Hopefully they don't think I croaked. In previous elections (at my old house), I was so distressed at the waste of paper and cardboard with all the oversized election snail mail spam.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You know, I haven't had even ONE election related phone call. Must be because I dropped my landline when I moved in 2015. None on my cell phone either, for some reason.

I haven't had much election spam in my mailbox either. Hopefully they don't think I croaked. In previous elections (at my old house), I was so distressed at the waste of paper and cardboard with all the oversized election snail mail spam.
We haven't had any election-related stuff either. But the reason is more insidious: In Texas, it is well-known who will win the electoral college delegates AND everybody else is running unopposed. That is, the opposition did not bother to even field any candidates. For instance, the incumbent congressperson is the only person on the ballot for Congress. They could win with one (1) vote and I will guess they at least voted for themselves.

So no need for anybody to spend any money campaigning at all around here.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Our landline rang nonstop last night till it was unplugged.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #98

so far big turnout here in Philly. waited 90 minutes this morning

Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #99

In and out under 10 minutes.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

I briefly toyed with the idea of actually holding my nose as I walked through the polling place. [mod edit]

As for my voting itself, it took maybe 5 minutes. We have 3 election districts voting at my school, so there is a woman at the entrance to the gym asking us for our home street name so she can direct us to the proper sign-in table. There was nobody waiting at my sign-in table, so I signed in and got a ballot and went to an empty privacy booth to fill it out.

By the time I returned to the sign-in area 5 minutes later where the tabulation machine was near (to get my ballot scanned and taken), there were about 6 people waiting to sign in. It's just a luck of the draw at that hour (about 10:45 AM) that a bunch of people enter at one time and all are directed to a single one of the 3 sign-in tables.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Closed Thread