Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
A fourth option is to start vigorously negotiating with those who provide what the government pays for, either directly or indirectly, forcing prices down wherever there are significant profits being earned at the public expense, as Medicare already does.
Well I tried that recently when cutting my expenses. So far lowes, krogers, and Costco are being very stubborn about helping me. Maybe they will bend a little in order to support a nanny state government.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about calling it what it is, a responsible government that places the basic needs of its citizens over the comfort and luxury of those self-focused, as a matter of human decency.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many on this board have found that if they don't consume what they don't need and invest the savings, they can retire comfortably and early. If they can legislate the costs down of the things they do need or get subsidized for the things they do need, even better.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
Many on this board have found that if they don't consume what they don't need and invest the savings, they can retire comfortably and early.
Indeed there are some folks who are so lucky, and many other who despite hard work and savings are effectively structurally precluded from doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
If they can legislate the costs down of the things they do need or get subsidized for the things they do need, even better.
Yes, very true, that would be good for those who would enjoy the lower costs, to of course we also need to consider the impact of that on those who would necessarily receive less revenue as a result. Such measures need to make sure that the effect carries through the entire supply chain, achieving the lower costs not by ignoring people's access to satisfaction of their basic needs, whether we're talking about providers or consumers, but rather by capitalizing on opportunities to reduce cost where the cost is nor relied on for satisfaction of basic needs.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We could just quit beating around the bush and implement "to each according to his need, from each according to his ability".
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #66

Or just as easily implement "me my mine - let everyone else just die in the streets."

However, I think most folks would support a hybrid approach, i.e., different criteria applied to basic needs versus comfort and luxury.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Right now, you couldn't get congress to agree to elliminate carried interest let alone pass a wealth tax.
Theduckguru is offline   Reply With Quote