Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Will Ballmer get more than $2 billion if he chooses to sell? LA TV market allows for some lucrative local deals, like the ones the Lakers have. But $2 billion is more than any NFL franchise's valuation, including teams like the Cowboys, which have a fairly new $1 billion stadium.

Looks like Ballmer wanted to make a splash and he didn't care about overpaying.
Perhaps, but there are also reports that by structuring the deal correctly, he will stand to get a cool $1Billion tax CREDIT to reduce his taxes for the next 15 years. These are complex deals, but the very wealthy aren't in them just for vanity.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The reality here is that the curve flattens out for the super rich. There is not a huge difference in lifestyle between someone with $300MM vs $2BB...there's just so many planes, yachts and houses you can have.
You are sorely mistaken dear marko. If you have $2B, you buy a yacht that costs $300MM.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
You are sorely mistaken dear marko. If you have $2B, you buy a yacht that costs $300MM.
Or even more:
Quote:
The yacht's cost has been estimated at €340 million (approx. US$475 million as of September 2011).
Quote:
Eclipse has two helicopter pads, 24 guest cabins, two swimming pools, several hot tubs, and a disco hall.[7] It is also equipped with three launch boats and a mini-submarine that is capable of submerging to 50 metres. Approximately 70 crew members are needed to operate the yacht and serve the guests.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(yacht)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Sounds like I need to change the super-rich that I hang out with...pikers!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Sounds like I need to change the super-rich that I hang out with...pikers!
Think how embarrassed that poor $300MM-aire is at the party on the yacht.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Think how embarrassed that poor $300MM-aire is at the party on the yacht.
There's a difference between old money and new money.

(BTW, it's always called a 'boat' regardless of size)
Old 01-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #47

Quote:
There's a difference between old money and new money.

Where's nords when we need him?

The good boat Lollipop -- It just doesn't sound right. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the 'boats' nords was on cost a bit more than the amounts discussed here.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #49

the paper dictionary I've used before defined a yacht as any boat used for pleasure... did not indicate size preference. I'll use that one... for my 14' yacht (canoe)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I am # 7,281,150
Old 01-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
I think the 'boats' nords was on cost a bit more than the amounts discussed here.
According to this article the first SSBN(X) or Ohio Replacement Submarine, will cost 13 billion. Later ones will go down to 7.7 billion as economies of scale come in. They don't mention operational costs.

Not exactly your casual cruiser.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #52

Coincidentally, I was listening to the Vergecast and the guys were joking that Ballmer is probably the luckiest roommate in history.

He was Gates' roommate at Harvard before Gates dropped out.

Gates drove a hard bargain against Paul Allen, getting himself a bigger equity stake before MS went public. Allen of course still became a billionaire.

Ballmer didn't bring any special talents, just was at the right place and the right time and befriended the man who'd become one of the richest man in the world.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #53

Quote:
Where's nords when we need him?

The good boat Lollipop -- It just doesn't sound right. Whatever floats your boat.
"Yacht" is typically used by those who don't own a boat/'yacht' or not quite in the know.

Unless one is extremely inelegant, you say 'boat' as in: "We're having 15 over for dinner on the boat, why don't you join us".

An owner saying 'yacht' is quite gauche in most circles.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would say "we are having 15 over for dinner on our ship this weekend." Ships are better than yachts, right?

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I would say "we are having 15 over for dinner on our ship this weekend." Ships are better than yachts, right?
I'd hate to think that you're proving my point.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #56

Quote:
"Yacht" is typically used by those who don't own a boat/'yacht' or not quite in the know.

Unless one is extremely inelegant, you say 'boat' as in: "We're having 15 over for dinner on the boat, why don't you join us".

An owner saying 'yacht' is quite gauche in most circles.
Well, I'm pleased to report neither DW nor I ever said "why don't you join us on the yacht".
Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #57

Quote:
I always refer to my yellow blow up boat as my yacht. The last one has lasted about 8 years. Alas, I think it is time for a new one this year. I hope Costco sells them again.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #58

Wealthiest one percent ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, I'm pleased to report neither DW nor I ever said "why don't you join us on the yacht".

I have said it, but I usually refer to my boat (16' pontoon boat) as "The Vessel"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
The interesting thing is that, as an American, I hear "richest 1%" and think "richest 1% of Americans". I'm not in that group.

If I thought "richest 1% of world population", I am in that group.

Of course, I typically hear that phrase when someone is talking about US tax policy. So I suppose the first is more appropriate in that context.

But, if I happen to be thinking about how lucky I am, the second seems more relevant.
I like this post a lot. I see a tendency for people of means to deplore the ignorance or sloth of others ... and while I agree that those qualities exist, we often fail to appreciate how our upbringing, genetic makeup, whatever, led us down the path toward financial independence. And how lucky we are to have been dealt those circumstances.

There are philosophers who argue that free will is an illusion. To a degree, I think they have a point.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It reminds me of how different people are when it comes to being able to control their weight. So many different factors come into play - much more than "Just eat less and move more."

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I like this post a lot. I see a tendency for people of means to deplore the ignorance or sloth of others ... and while I agree that those qualities exist, we often fail to appreciate how our upbringing, genetic makeup, whatever, led us down the path toward financial independence. And how lucky we are to have been dealt those circumstances.

Closed Thread