Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Wealthiest one percent ...
Old 01-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wealthiest one percent ...

For the Davos World Economic Forum, Oxfam is highlighting that the wealthiest 1% of the world will own more than 50% of global wealth, based on data from the Credit Suisse Global Wealth datebook.

In the BBC article about this announcement, a demarcation of how much wealth it takes to be in that 1% is estimated:

Quote:
Oxfam based its prediction on data from the annual Credit Suisse Global Wealth datebook, which gives the distribution of global wealth going back to 2000. It uses the value of an individual's financial and non-financial assets, mainly property and land, minus their debts to determine what individuals "own".

The data excludes wages or income.

The BBC's head of statistics, Anthony Reuben, said in order to be part of the wealthiest 1% of the world's population, an individual would need to be worth just over half a million pounds.

"So it is not necessarily talking about people who own yachts and ski chalets. Owning an average house in London (without a mortgage) would just about put you in the 1%. "

He also noted that Oxfam had chosen to use figures which showed the disparity between the 1% and the rest of the world in the worst light.

"From 2000 until 2009, the proportion of wealth held by the wealthiest 1% fell every year. From 2010 until 2014 it rose every year. Oxfam has taken the figures since 2010 and used them to extrapolate what will happen in the coming years. Clearly, that is the methodology that will make inequality look the most severe," he added.

BBC News - Richest 1% to own more than rest of world, Oxfam says
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I certainly would not mind being filthy rich. Alas I do not make the category.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... to be part of the wealthiest 1% of the world's population, an individual would need to be worth just over half a million pounds...
Some people at the bottom of the scale collectively own vast land with untapped resources. Look at Africa specifically. They should be rich. How do we help?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There was no mention of how much of the change is driven by reproduction rates. I would suspect the wealthier have fewer children per capita than do the poorer. Continue that for decades and wealth inequality grows.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

"...He also noted that Oxfam had chosen to use figures which showed the disparity between the 1% and the rest of the world in the worst light..."
"So it is not necessarily talking about people who own yachts and ski chalets. Owning an average house in London (without a mortgage) would just about put you in the 1%. "

So now the middle class (more or less) are part of the 'evil 1%' and income inequality?

Are they trying to make me feel guilty?
Sorry bub, can't lose sleep over that one. Don't people realize that the more extreme they make their argument the less people care?

Who said: "there are lies, damn lies and statistics"?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

The interesting thing is that, as an American, I hear "richest 1%" and think "richest 1% of Americans". I'm not in that group.

If I thought "richest 1% of world population", I am in that group.

Of course, I typically hear that phrase when someone is talking about US tax policy. So I suppose the first is more appropriate in that context.

But, if I happen to be thinking about how lucky I am, the second seems more relevant.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There is an inaccurate assumption that the wealth of the rich sits idle once they buy enough yachts and such. Who do they think provides money for investments in new businesses and growth of existing companies?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Porky Pig?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am rich, I can do everything I want or do nothing.

I value my time more than the monopoly currency or hard assets.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
It was popularized by Mark Twain but who said it originally seems to be unknown: Lies, damned lies, and statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
There is an inaccurate assumption that the wealth of the rich sits idle once they buy enough yachts and such. Who do they think provides money for investments in new businesses and growth of existing companies?
Uh, welfare recipients?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
The interesting thing is that, as an American, I hear "richest 1%" and think "richest 1% of Americans". I'm not in that group.

If I thought "richest 1% of world population", I am in that group.
If you heard "richest 10% of world population" I suspect nearly 100% of North Americans would be in that group.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
If you heard "richest 10% of world population" I suspect nearly 100% of North Americans would be in that group.
Pretty close. According to this site $14k/year puts you in the top 9.52%.

Note: it is intended to make you feel wealthy so you'll make a donation to their charity so there might be a credibility issue. But I have no reason to doubt the numbers.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am the 22,776,713th richest person on earth.
Global Rich List
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #15

As I mentioned on another forum, if we work/invest a little harder/smarter, we will reach 60%.

As an aside, Americans and Canadians ( and a few others) enjoy the God-given right of Personal Property. We can purchase, swap, separate, sell, rent, borrow against and enjoy these rights. The other countries own their own real estate and bar their citizens from these rights. It is the greatest gift our founding fathers recognized when our country was formed, and is the reason that the US and Canada have the wealthiest citizens of the world. I am most thankful for this insight.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I am the 22,776,713th richest person on earth.
Global Rich List
I was 22,776,712th -

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
If you look at some billionaires buying sports teams and other discretionary purchases which necessarily don't have an expected ROI, you have to wonder if they're not like the proverbial lottery winners who blow money on frivolous things.

You expect someone who's amassed such fortunes to be wise with money, always extracting every last cent out of the capital, but this is probably a bit of idolatry.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The calculator is comparing me to Rhodesia Zimbabwe. Then wants a bloody donation.

A slick attempt at laying guilt.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #19

So how do they factor in the old-school Soviet Czars and other world dictators (past and present)? Stalin may not have had a bank account in his name that had a $10B ledger....but he sure had control over a ton of things, and lived quite the elite lifestyle. Same with other dictators over the years that have taken advantage of their citizens. Are they conveniently left out and forgotten in the rankings and calculations, just so people who accumulate wealth today in the US are targeted for being 'selfish'?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
So how do they factor in the old-school Soviet Czars and other world dictators (past and present)? Stalin may not have had a bank account in his name that had a $10B ledger....but he sure had control over a ton of things, and lived quite the elite lifestyle. Same with other dictators over the years that have taken advantage of their citizens. Are they conveniently left out and forgotten in the rankings and calculations, just so people who accumulate wealth today in the US are targeted for being 'selfish'?
But how does one value the art work subsidized by the rulers in the past, the popes, the Kings of France (Louis XIV for example), etc. Of course in one sense the private art collections of rulers were the National Institute for Humanities of the time. Add to that the wars they liked to engage in and most were broke off and on or if the father was good in finance the son blew the fathers savings.
Closed Thread