Wealthiest one percent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 'boats' nords was on cost a bit more than the amounts discussed here.

According to this article the first SSBN(X) or Ohio Replacement Submarine, will cost 13 billion. Later ones will go down to 7.7 billion as economies of scale come in. They don't mention operational costs.

Not exactly your casual cruiser.

Coincidentally, I was listening to the Vergecast and the guys were joking that Ballmer is probably the luckiest roommate in history.

He was Gates' roommate at Harvard before Gates dropped out.

Gates drove a hard bargain against Paul Allen, getting himself a bigger equity stake before MS went public. Allen of course still became a billionaire.

Ballmer didn't bring any special talents, just was at the right place and the right time and befriended the man who'd become one of the richest man in the world.

Where's nords when we need him? :)

The good boat Lollipop -- It just doesn't sound right. Whatever floats your boat.

"Yacht" is typically used by those who don't own a boat/'yacht' or not quite in the know.

Unless one is extremely inelegant, you say 'boat' as in: "We're having 15 over for dinner on the boat, why don't you join us".

An owner saying 'yacht' is quite gauche in most circles.

Last edited:
I would say "we are having 15 over for dinner on our ship this weekend." Ships are better than yachts, right?

I would say "we are having 15 over for dinner on our ship this weekend." Ships are better than yachts, right?

I'd hate to think that you're proving my point.

:LOL:;)

"Yacht" is typically used by those who don't own a boat/'yacht' or not quite in the know.

Unless one is extremely inelegant, you say 'boat' as in: "We're having 15 over for dinner on the boat, why don't you join us".

An owner saying 'yacht' is quite gauche in most circles.
Well, I'm pleased to report neither DW nor I ever said "why don't you join us on the yacht".

Last edited:
(BTW, it's always called a 'boat' regardless of size)

I always refer to my yellow blow up boat as my yacht. The last one has lasted about 8 years. Alas, I think it is time for a new one this year. I hope Costco sells them again.

The interesting thing is that, as an American, I hear "richest 1%" and think "richest 1% of Americans". I'm not in that group.

If I thought "richest 1% of world population", I am in that group.

Of course, I typically hear that phrase when someone is talking about US tax policy. So I suppose the first is more appropriate in that context.

But, if I happen to be thinking about how lucky I am, the second seems more relevant.

I like this post a lot. I see a tendency for people of means to deplore the ignorance or sloth of others ... and while I agree that those qualities exist, we often fail to appreciate how our upbringing, genetic makeup, whatever, led us down the path toward financial independence. And how lucky we are to have been dealt those circumstances.

There are philosophers who argue that free will is an illusion. To a degree, I think they have a point.

It reminds me of how different people are when it comes to being able to control their weight. So many different factors come into play - much more than "Just eat less and move more."

Amethyst

I like this post a lot. I see a tendency for people of means to deplore the ignorance or sloth of others ... and while I agree that those qualities exist, we often fail to appreciate how our upbringing, genetic makeup, whatever, led us down the path toward financial independence. And how lucky we are to have been dealt those circumstances.

the paper dictionary I've used before defined a yacht as any boat used for pleasure... did not indicate size preference. I'll use that one... for my 14' yacht (canoe)

Woo-hoo! My 12' folding kayak is most definitely a yacht under that definition.

Well, I'm pleased to report neither DW nor I ever said "why don't you join us on the yacht".
I've never even considered inviting anyone over to have dinner on my kayak. If I do, I'll remember to not call it a yacht. Ship does seem much more functional. :)

I have mentioned to DW that we should go on a "West Virginia river cruise" which means the 10' Porta-Bote powered by a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton outboard, a cooler of ham 'n cheese sandwiches and a box of fine wine on the Potomac River.

So a follow-up BBC article about the top 10 countries in which the wealthiest 1% live.

US is number one with 18 million people:

BBC News - Where do the wealthiest 1% live?

Switzerland is number 10 with only .8 million of the wealthiest 1%.

Wow! If you had two billion, you'd only be the 361st richest person.

The calculator is comparing me to [-]Rhodesia[/-] Zimbabwe. Then wants a bloody donation.

A slick attempt at laying guilt.

Is my Rhodesian Ridgeback now a Zimbabwe Ridgeback?

This is the number of 1%ers from the BBC article divided by the populations of the countries from Wikipedia, then sorted lowest population to highest:

Switzerland 9.76%
Australia 7.59%
Canada 4.48%
UK 4.52%
France 5.30%
Germany 3.47%
Italy 2.85%
Japan 3.33%
US 5.62%
China 0.12%

But it does make me wonder what my frugal, work adverse crowd at this forum would adapt as a life-style if they were a member of the exclusive 1%. How would you feel about mere mortals scrapping for that million or two dollars to retire to frugality on?

But it does make me wonder what my frugal, work adverse crowd at this forum would adapt as a life-style if they were a member of the exclusive 1%. How would you feel about mere mortals scrapping for that million or two dollars to retire to frugality on?
I doubt any forum member would actually acquire enough assets to be part of the US 1%. Before getting there, they would have retired.

I doubt any forum member would actually acquire enough assets to be part of the US 1%. Before getting there, they would have retired.

Yea, stupid me, I should have realized this. So you win it in a Saudi Oil Sovereign Fund lottery.

Yea, stupid me, I should have realized this. So you win it in a Saudi Oil Sovereign Fund lottery.
Lotteries can be pretty high but not enough for the US 1%. A more likely way is someone develops a company that is struggling but suddenly gets taken over for big bucks. Some sort of dot com company fits the bill. Many billionaires/mega millionaires have been created that way. It doesn't mean that these people are going to be movers and shakers or even taken seriously beyond where spending their money ends.

Is my Rhodesian Ridgeback now a Zimbabwe Ridgeback?
Dunno, does it talk ebonics? Beatiful dogs. Not mine, just a pic I found.

Rhodesian Ridgeback
(Ridgeback) (Lion Dog) (African Lion Hound)
RhodesianRidgebackShismasLakeTahoe1.JPG
Bryaba Says Whatchamacallit aka Shisma, a liver-nosed, red wheaten Rhodesian Ridgeback at 3 years old

It doesn't mean that these people are going to be movers and shakers or even taken seriously beyond where spending their money ends.

As long as the guy who delivers my drink to the beach cabana takes me seriously, that's all the serious-taking I need at this point. Been taken way too seriously enough over my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom