Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
the paper dictionary I've used before defined a yacht as any boat used for pleasure... did not indicate size preference. I'll use that one... for my 14' yacht (canoe)
Woo-hoo! My 12' folding kayak is most definitely a yacht under that definition.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, I'm pleased to report neither DW nor I ever said "why don't you join us on the yacht".
I've never even considered inviting anyone over to have dinner on my kayak. If I do, I'll remember to not call it a yacht. Ship does seem much more functional.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #63

I have mentioned to DW that we should go on a "West Virginia river cruise" which means the 10' Porta-Bote powered by a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton outboard, a cooler of ham 'n cheese sandwiches and a box of fine wine on the Potomac River.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So a follow-up BBC article about the top 10 countries in which the wealthiest 1% live.

US is number one with 18 million people:

BBC News - Where do the wealthiest 1% live?

Switzerland is number 10 with only .8 million of the wealthiest 1%.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I am the 22,776,713th richest person on earth.
Global Rich List

Just checked it out.... if you had $1 billion.... you would be in the top 1,000....

Good to know...
Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #66

Wow! If you had two billion, you'd only be the 361st richest person.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The calculator is comparing me to Rhodesia Zimbabwe. Then wants a bloody donation.

A slick attempt at laying guilt.
Is my Rhodesian Ridgeback now a Zimbabwe Ridgeback?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

No more than a Burmese cat is now a Myanmar cat, or a Siamese cat a Thai cat.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #69

This is the number of 1%ers from the BBC article divided by the populations of the countries from Wikipedia, then sorted lowest population to highest:

Switzerland 9.76%
Australia 7.59%
Canada 4.48%
UK 4.52%
France 5.30%
Germany 3.47%
Italy 2.85%
Japan 3.33%
US 5.62%
China 0.12%
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #70

But it does make me wonder what my frugal, work adverse crowd at this forum would adapt as a life-style if they were a member of the exclusive 1%. How would you feel about mere mortals scrapping for that million or two dollars to retire to frugality on?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
But it does make me wonder what my frugal, work adverse crowd at this forum would adapt as a life-style if they were a member of the exclusive 1%. How would you feel about mere mortals scrapping for that million or two dollars to retire to frugality on?
I doubt any forum member would actually acquire enough assets to be part of the US 1%. Before getting there, they would have retired.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I doubt any forum member would actually acquire enough assets to be part of the US 1%. Before getting there, they would have retired.
Yea, stupid me, I should have realized this. So you win it in a Saudi Oil Sovereign Fund lottery.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #73

Quote:
Yea, stupid me, I should have realized this. So you win it in a Saudi Oil Sovereign Fund lottery.
Lotteries can be pretty high but not enough for the US 1%. A more likely way is someone develops a company that is struggling but suddenly gets taken over for big bucks. Some sort of dot com company fits the bill. Many billionaires/mega millionaires have been created that way. It doesn't mean that these people are going to be movers and shakers or even taken seriously beyond where spending their money ends.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Dunno, does it talk ebonics? Beatiful dogs. Not mine, just a pic I found.

Rhodesian Ridgeback
(Ridgeback) (Lion Dog) (African Lion Hound)
Bryaba Says Whatchamacallit aka Shisma, a liver-nosed, red wheaten Rhodesian Ridgeback at 3 years old
Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
It doesn't mean that these people are going to be movers and shakers or even taken seriously beyond where spending their money ends.
As long as the guy who delivers my drink to the beach cabana takes me seriously, that's all the serious-taking I need at this point. Been taken way too seriously enough over my lifetime.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #76

Quote:
DW and I actually talked about that a couple of times when one of the lotteries reached silly highs and one of us bought a ticket just for the daydreams.

We decided that other than buying a nice place in NC or SC near water, and a boat in the ~25'-30' range, we'd probably end up giving most of it away.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
For the Davos World Economic Forum, Oxfam is highlighting that the wealthiest 1% of the world will own more than 50% of global wealth, based on data from the Credit Suisse Global Wealth datebook.

In the BBC article about this announcement, a demarcation of how much wealth it takes to be in that 1% is estimated:

BBC News - Richest 1% to own more than rest of world, Oxfam says

Just for the record....if you earn morn than 34k annually YOU are part of the wealthiest 1% in the world.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

The program also doesn't account for the wealth-ranking of people who receive welfare benefits that are worth at least that much.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/briefs/bp-027.html NOTE: I realize CATO is not unbiased, and that this is a politically charged topic; am not trying to start a debate on whether people get "too much" welfare or not; just pointing out that there is more than one type of "resource."

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffNuts View Post
Just for the record....if you earn morn than 34k annually YOU are part of the wealthiest 1% in the world.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
we often fail to appreciate how our upbringing, genetic makeup, whatever, led us down the path toward financial independence.
my dad worked for an oil company, so I got good teeth and an edjumication
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
my dad worked for an oil company, so I got good teeth and an edjumication

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread