Join Early Retirement Today

Talking What if they gave a Depression and nobody came?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Talking What if they gave a Depression and nobody came?

I thought that was a clever topic but I'm not exactly sure where to go with it.
Hal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What depression? It's Friday and I'm finally seeing some green numbers in my portfolio for the week. I'm not depressed at the moment.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Give the treasury printing presses time, they have to cool off a bit. But once they print up enough dough to pay off the "boys", Goldman, Citi, BAC, and their derivative counter parts and books are rebalanced by the presses, then it will be business as usual, depression will be over, and we simply put it all on the "tab"

Jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
then it will be business as usual
Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

then it will be business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
Give the treasury printing presses time, they have to cool off a bit. But once they print up enough dough to pay off the "boys", Goldman, Citi, BAC, and their derivative counter parts and books are rebalanced by the presses, then it will be business as usual, depression will be over, and we simply put it all on the "tab"

Jug
Is that a good thing? I thought that is how we got where we are now!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What if they gave a Depression and nobody came?

Then they get to eat all the chips and dips and drink all the booze themselves.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal3 View Post
Is that a good thing? I thought that is how we got where we are now!
It's a good thing if they reinflate the bubble long enough for me to recover some of my stock losses and then bail out...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting point. How far up would it have to go before you "bail"?
Everyone will be torn between "bailing" and getting some of the money back and possibly getting even more money if the trend continues.

Is there no end to suffering?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's a good thing if they reinflate the bubble long enough for me to recover some of my stock losses and then bail out...
Hey, we've been working with imaginary money for years, we just have to re-charge and use our imaginations again. If not, then we legalize marijuana, keep the country stoned, and re-enhance our imaginations.

Keep the tab flowing, let the grandkids drag us out of the bar. Yeeeeeee hawwwww

jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Or we could just move to a fresh continent and start over again.

Hey, wait, we're out of continents.

Now what?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, there is one left with very few people. You might wanna try that one. I hear it gets reeaaallly cold there, so take a sweater.

R
Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Arguably, NOTHING HAS CHANGED, except the perceived value of some complex Wall Street paper.

There has been no war. No new war, anyway.
No drought.
No plague.

Everything is basically the same.
This whole financial crisis is an illusion.
Just put all the numbers back where they were.

I think it might work.

SImple.

Just put all the numbers back where they were!

Why didn't I think of that? Oh. I did.

Call Obama or Geithner or somebody!

Just put all the numbers back where they were!
Pray for global warming!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Pray for global warming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Well, there is one left with very few people. You might wanna try that one. I hear it gets reeaaallly cold there, so take a sweater.

R
Pray for global warming!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

All I know is that every time Obama speaks... the stock market plummets. At this point I do not care if we agree or disagree with his policies... just kindly Mr. Obama be quiet!!! Seriously... the market was up 100 points today and then plummented right after... That is the pattern I am seeing emerge. Does not even seem to matter what he is talking about either...
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
All I know is that every time Obama speaks... the stock market plummets. At this point I do not care if we agree or disagree with his policies... just kindly Mr. Obama be quiet!!! Seriously... the market was up 100 points today and then plummented right after... That is the pattern I am seeing emerge. Does not even seem to matter what he is talking about either...
?Who cares? We won. Whoopee! Now it's my turn to razz my Sister.

Given that the fine financial types who caused the mess did not plan the blow up - they wanted wealth and success - then the idea that one or both sides or all government combined has a magic formula to fix it strikes me as a stretch.

Smile - exude confidence - throw a lot of stuff against wall hoping to get something to stick. Cross your fingers when nobody's looking and silently pray a lot.

More than that - you have more confidence in the branches of government than I do.

heh heh heh - And I'm an optimist. But the ole Norwegian widow is watching her pssst - Wellesleys. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Question All I know is that every time Obama speaks..
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Question All I know is that every time Obama speaks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
All I know is that every time Obama speaks... the stock market plummets.
That should give us some insight about "the market".

My copy of "Security Analysis - Sixth Edition" By Benjamin Graham, et al. arrived from Amazon yesterday. It is an imposing tome but so many experts regard it highly that I thought I should at least put it on my toilet tank for a while. Anyway ... if the market (total value of lot's of securities) depends on whether or not the president speaks ... well ... why bother to analyze securities or even read about how this might be accomplished?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal3 View Post
Interesting point. How far up would it have to go before you "bail"?
Everyone will be torn between "bailing" and getting some of the money back and possibly getting even more money if the trend continues.
I hope to get some of the money back. Retirement, early or otherwise, is pretty much out of the question unless I do. Granted, it's my own fault for having too much in equities at 50 years of age, but I still need to make some of the money back (soon, please).
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote