Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #41

Do my NPR and WSJ podcasts count, Lets retire?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
I've noticed many people here are saying they get their news from several sources, but if you actually look at their sources they are either mostly left or mostly right leaning sources. Few actually get their news from sources with opposing viewpoints. Interesting.
I would prefer to get my news presented matter-of-factly, untainted by a third party viewpoint preferably. I have a brain, I can use it to make up my own opinion.

Can anyone point me to any such news outlet in America?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where and how do you get your news?

From DH. He's on the computer before I am, so I ask if anything is goin' on. I get a five word summary....then have my coffee.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I read our city's newspaper every morning.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get the local newspaper delivered every morning. Find lots of interesting tidbits about my locale that I'd never know otherwise. For example, this morning, an article describing how the primary natural gas supply pipe for SoCal Gas Co. runs less than 100' from where I am currently sitting. Installed in the 50's and apparently according to the gas co. there is nothing to worry about, since it's designed to last a long, long time. That and smart pigs running in it who knows how often. Looking at the corrosion on the pipe coming out of the ground feeding my gas meter and house doesn't make me too comforted, since it looks about to have been corroded through about now. Amazing how much freaking crime there is nearby too.

Otherwise I only get news from you guys here. I figure if its worth knowing somebody will bring it up!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've noticed many people here are saying they get their news from several sources, but if you actually look at their sources they are either mostly left or mostly right leaning sources. Few actually get their news from sources with opposing viewpoints. Interesting.
Since no one mentioned it (or I missed it), the Google news page is my main source for news. Since they post headlines from many sources it makes it pretty easy to seek out what might be less slanted views, or I can purposely choose what I consider a heavily biased source (right or left), just to see what those people are making of the story. I may not agree, but since this world is made up of some of both extremes, I like to keep tabs on it.

And, as was just mentioned, this forum. It does tend to hit the news items of interest to this group that I might overlook otherwise. Plus the radio some of the day, if I'm away from the computer and want to know if aliens are attacking. GMA in the AM, just to wake up and get news/weather and a little entertainment.

I hear 'ya lets-retire, I don't have cable so I can't really comment on how slanted the cable Fox news is, but I find it a little amusing that someone can call that out as biased (I don't doubt it), but list the huffingtonpost.com as if it isn't!

This world is an amusing place. - ERD50
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I would prefer to get my news presented matter-of-factly, untainted by a third party viewpoint preferably. I have a brain, I can use it to make up my own opinion.
So would I. Unfortunately I have not found any source that presents news without any spin. That is why I try to check sources from both sides of the spectrum.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Mostly NPR. Some on line. I used to get the Wash Post but no more. Can't stand TV news-tainment
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, that's how I see it, too. BTW, which group do I swing with? I can't figure out which direction the Onion leans. I need to know, so I can belong. Somewhere.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
BTW, which group do I swing with? I can't figure out which direction the Onion leans. I need to know, so I can belong. Somewhere.
Maybe you belong with the crowd that reads The Rutabaga...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

A mix of 2 local papers in print and/or their on line sites, some on line papers or broadcast sources, a bit of radio -- local with NPR, CBS, etc., some broadcast while in car on XM with CNN, CNBC, or MSNBC. Very little TV--no cable in house. What do I avoid...anything to do with FOX...just find them to be offensive even though I'm a long time political independent.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Magazines:

Guitar Player, Vintage Guitar Magazine, Rolling Stone (although Rolling Stone doesn't really have much useful Guitar related news) , oh & Autoweek.

DW is looking over my shoulder, and she sells sea shells by the sea shore, er, I mean she says Internet, Radio (a bit), and a smidgen of TV.

My answer was pretty accurate though.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 AM   #53

My comment wasn't meant to point a finger at anybody. It was simply an observation.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My comment wasn't meant to point a finger at anybody. It was simply an observation.
It's somewhat amusing to me that people seek to listen to whomever parrots their pov; kind of like looking in the mirror saying "yeah, you right"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #55

80% FOX News (TV & internet)
20% local news

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #56

I get all of my news from FOX, MSNBC, & ER.org because they are fair and balanced and non-partisan.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #57

The Financial Times
SCMP ( a local paper)
Bloomberg (not really useful - but I leave it on as background when reading other material)
CNBC (ditto)
TVB (a local TV station)
PFBlogs
2-3 Brokers
Finet (a HK financial industry news aggregator and data site)
FNArena (an Australian research aggregator)
2-3 news letter which I get either daily or less frequently
Conversations with colleagues, clients and other people
My wife also reads the Chinese language HK property magazines/newspapers and gives me a summary

For hobbies, I read interest publications relevant to the hobbies (when I have time)
Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #58
gone traveling

From DW. She tells me everything I need to know ...
Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hard News: Philadelphia Inquirer, New York Times, The BBC, The Christian Science Monitor, USA Today. Fluff:The Huffington Post, The Daily Beast, Salon......or any other news aggregator

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hard copy - local newspaper and Financial Times when I get to read it for free. For news on celebrities, I just hang around the magazine shops and flip them for ten minutes or so.
Online - bloomberg, marketwatch, google and yahoo.
TV - local channels, CNBC, BBC
when something big happen that is bordering on a scandal, then of course - gossip gossip.