Join Early Retirement Today
Where and how do you get your news?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Where and how do you get your news?

After reading the thread about Vanguard execs being interviewed on Fox Business News and the resulting comments (disdain) about Fox, got me to wondering about where do most of you get your news, besides of course the internet.

Myself, I like Imus in the Morning, CNN, NBC Nightly News, Charlie Rose interviews on Bloomberg and then to put everything into a proper perspective, I watch the Daily and Colbert Shows.

I do like to catch Meet the Press on Sunday morning even though I think David Gregory is pretty much a blathering idiot. Don't really care for many of the talking heads on either CNBC or Fox for the matter either.

I can't stand any host the asks a question and then rudely interrupts when he doesn't care for the direction of the answer.

We may have 24 hour news, put it takes a fine tooth comb to find much objectivity and unbiased reporting.

Just my dos centavos !

What say you ?

Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Bloomberg, Reuters and CNBC online. Hardcopy Economist. On rare occasion, I read the local paper. I don't watch TV

Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
We've subscribed to the Washington Post for about 30 years. In addition, we listen to WTOP, a local news radio station and watch a variety of local and cable news programs on TV.

Sometimes I think are too many sources for news and stories are blown up to fill up space on all the cable, radio, internet and print news outlets.

I'll miss the Post when it goes by the wayside like other newspapers. Nothing like spreading out the paper on a Sunday morning and pondering the news stories over that first cup of coffee.
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Online (daily): CNN, Bloomberg, CNBC, BBC
Print (occasionally): The Economist, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today
TV: I stopped watching news programs on TV a couple of years ago. I used to be a news junkie but I can't stand it anymore.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
I like MSNBC. No time to read newspapers.

Originally Posted by frayne View Post
where do most of you get your news, besides of course the internet.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...
Mostly here and the Onion.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
No cable TV, I get my new from whatever's on ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS. I particularly like PBS News Hour and BBC World News.
(retired 2009, age 48)
JoeDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
I listen to NPR and read our local newspaper. It seems that most of the news broadcasting has an agenda, and I don't like the hype and hysteria. The news appears to be slanted, depending upon who is the sponsor. Besides, we don't have a TV
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...
Posts: 10,663 and various online sources plus John Stewart (news with the irreverence it deserves) almost daily,

occasionally network TV (mostly pandering to politicos and celebrities extremes) and various magazines.

Rarely newspapers anymore.
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Originally Posted by harley View Post

SNL weekend update + The Daily Show for balance.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Originally Posted by harley View Post

No TV in the house. So awesome to never hear the noise.

I read WSJ, Economist, and various stuff we get at the office hardcopy, but I also read WSJ online for the blogs. NPR podcasts plus six or eight other regular podcasts.

I have RSS feeds for news from Fox, CNN, MSNBC, as well as Freakonomics and Thomas Stanley's blogs. Subscribe to local newspaper.

And of course, the Onion.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
I just blocked FOX news on our TVs. All it did was make me mad and that is from a life long independent that has usually voted Rep.

News sources are online MSN, Yahoo, Wall St Journal, Washington Post and CNN. TV news sources now CNN, PBS, etc when I can watch them. Mostly use online.
Worked the plan and now living the Dream!
fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
I get my news from a variety of viewpoints, from the TV and internet news websites. I try to balance my sources between right wing, left wing, moderate, libertarian, and so on, so that I can hear what everybody has to say (although I do avoid one or two right wing and one or two left wing TV shows that I find annoying, but listen to other shows on those channels later, instead). This way I get a variety of input and opinions to ponder, so that I can decide what I think for myself. I purposely include international sources as well, but should probably expose myself to more of them than I do.

I don't get a newspaper or magazines, although I read online from my local newspaper's website.

Guess that about covers it.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
The local paper, and a variety of podcasts, mostly business and economic related. (The Economist has some excellent podcasts.) The Wall Street Journal This Morning podcast is a sort of daily news wrapup, with a slight economic slant. Google news is handy for keeping track of stories.

I'll occasionally catch a guest on CNBC I'm interested in, or tune in CSPAN for some speeches of interest. There are a couple of commentators on basic cable that I find interesting, even though I don't always agree with them. (Charles Krauthammer is more thoughtful than most, although the newsreaders feeding him questions are annoying, as in "Why should we be afraid of... ?") I generally don't go out of my way to see them, though.

NPR has some excellent podcasts, including both news and some fun economics stuff. Planet Money is a great economics-light podcast.

The podcasts are handy because I can listen to them while doing houshold chores, gardening, or monkeywrenching on the cars.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...
I get my news online. Apps of my favourite newspapers are on my Blackberry and I have a whole folder full of news media sites on my Favourites tab. I never liked reading newspapers because of the inkstains.

Interesting article from the Economist on the iPad's impact on print media.

Print on the iPad: A smashing success | The Economist
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
85 percent from conservative AM radio talk shows. 15 percent from liberal NPR on FM.

I was surprised to find that NPR was EXCELLENT on reporting about the real estate bubble, years ago, before it happened. They saw it coming. They were even critical of the social engineering ( giving deadbeats big mortgages and putting the default risk on the taxpayer) .

NPR went way in depth on this, looking at it from all angles. I was very impressed.

The conservative AM stations were also warning of the impending real estate collapse, in 15 minute segments every couple of weeks or so.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...
The internet (start with Yahoo) and the local paper. I don't watch the news anymore. Haven't for years. When I finally get home, the TV is on baseball or Project Runway. Which is why I am here now.
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
The spoken word carries so much emotion and moves so quickly I can't think fast enough to investigate it's validity. I like my news written in almost any form (internet, mags, newspapers, books). Gives me a minute to think about it and see if it's news or fluff trying to evoke a response intended to play on my natural prejudices.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.
I like Thom Hartman on Free Speech TV. Also Link TV, Amy Goodman. I enjoy Rachael Maddow and Chris Mathews on MSNBC. My all time favorite show besides Bill Maher, was
Bill Moyer's Journal. He had some wonderful in depth segments on his show. Hear he may be coming back.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
I went to a friends house this weekend and he actually had a newspaper there. I hadn't seen or read one in about 10 years. Any info I need I get from TV news or the internet.

73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote