Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #61
gone traveling

While my heirs will benefit from it, step up basis is a prime way wealth is concentrated at the top. I.e., taxes are never paid on your gain.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #62
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
You had me at $8.1 million total assets. After that, I suppose I too would look for some tax loop holes, but that wouldn't be my main concern. I'd be more concerned about how I was going to spend that much money over the next 30+ years. ALL good problems to have. Honestly, with that nice a stash, I'd be more interested in living someplace I wanted to live - taxes would be a secondary (but not insignificant) distraction. YMMV
Given they'd have a lot of LTCG to spend much of it, part of the spending would be to the tax man.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
While my heirs will benefit from it, step up basis is a prime way wealth is concentrated at the top. I.e., taxes are never paid on your gain.
Assuming your estate is below the estate tax threshold, true.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The obvious "solution" to this "problem" is that all investment income should be treated and taxed the same as wages earned from a job.
I could agree with this with three added changes:

1. Don't tax dividends paid to stockholders. That is double taxation of the same profit.

2. Adjust taxable Capital Gains to take inflation into account.

3. Adjust all fixed tax limits such as the SS earnings limit to inflation.

I am not holding my breath.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tax laws are written with the intent of shaping how money moves. We want people to own homes, we allow for a deduction of mortgage interest. We want business to make capital investment, then we allow for depreciation and incentives. If we want people to buy electric cars or add solar panels, we give them a tax break. Eventually, we end up with a convoluted situation with lots of nooks and crannies where you can shelter money or generate income that is taxed at a lower rate.

As taxpayers, we look at the rules (to the best of our ability), and decide how to 'play the game'. Not everybody will agree with all of the rules, especially when they may benefit somebody else.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I’m still getting my head around a $1.5M house in Austin. California, sure. But Texas property values in general are far lower.

That $1.5M house would take a bit to maintain in addition to huge property taxes so I don’t think that couple is getting by on low taxable income.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I could agree with this with three added changes:

1. Don't tax dividends paid to stockholders. That is double taxation of the same profit.

2. Adjust taxable Capital Gains to take inflation into account.
Agreed with these. Though I would prefer that dividends be passed through the corporation tax-free and taxable to the recipient at the full individual marginal tax rates (though there may need to be some wrinkle for taxing dividends paid to foreign shareholders). Double taxation discourages dividend payouts and encourages "retained earnings", which for many businesses can't be used effectively (resulting in unproductive "hoarding" of cash).

That does three things: first, it encourages dividend payouts (you can't fake real cash payouts like you can fake retained "earnings", so there is more faith in the integrity of the balance sheet). Secondly, it allows people of modest means to collect dividend income at still reasonably low tax rates. Thirdly, it makes US businesses more competitive and attractive for global capital. Is it a corporate giveaway? I don't think so. The corporation isn't keeping any of the money it is paying out by finding arcane loopholes. It is actually putting money into the hands of shareholders. And the shareholders would pay a tax rate based on their income.

The second one, though, would be an accounting nightmare, I think, which may be why they just decide that long term capital gains will be taxed at a certain amount lower than the marginal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That $1.5M house would take a bit to maintain in addition to huge property taxes so I don’t think that couple is getting by on low taxable income.
+1

An excellent point.

Big houses are more expensive to heat, cool, keep clean, replace the roof, furnish, paint, etc. etc. etc.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I’m still getting my head around a $1.5M house in Austin. California, sure. But Texas property values in general are far lower.

Having just moved from an area of California in recent months where $1.5M gets you a basic 3br/2ba 1,500-1,800 sq ft house to a suburb outside Austin, I agree. The house we're purchasing is less than 1/3 that amount, and that same house would cost $2.5M+ in the area where we lived.

Unfortunately for this couple, downsizing would result in a sizeable capital gains bill. As others have mentioned, they really are tied to their tax structure for their lifestyle. Honestly, if I were them I would still downsize, pay the capital gains, and save on the yearly properly taxes, energy costs, and insurance costs.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Every time I see those HGTV "dream home" giveaways, all I can think about is how much income you need for ONLY taxes, maintenance, utilities and insurance! No wonder almost all the winners sell quickly, or take cash instead of the home. At least with cash, you can set 1/3 aside for taxes. With a house, you can't chop 1/3 of it off and give it to the government.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Having just moved from an area of California in recent months where $1.5M gets you a basic 3br/2ba 1,500-1,800 sq ft house to a suburb outside Austin, I agree. The house we're purchasing is less than 1/3 that amount, and that same house would cost $2.5M+ in the area where we lived.

Unfortunately for this couple, downsizing would result in a sizeable capital gains bill. As others have mentioned, they really are tied to their tax structure for their lifestyle. Honestly, if I were them I would still downsize, pay the capital gains, and save on the yearly properly taxes, energy costs, and insurance costs.
I think the moral of the story is that they probably have a $500K house in Austin.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But..... in order to stay in zero capital gains bracket they need to limit their income to $103,150 in 2019 ($78,750 top of zero LTCG bracket + $24,400 standard deduction)... a whopping 1.6% WR.... plus if their house is worth $1.5m their property taxes are probably $25k or so a year so if they intend to avoid taxes entirely they won't be living like they have $6.6 million of investments.

Sounds to me like the scenario that you described is great for the son but not so great for the parents. Plus if they live long the will ultimately get whacked with taxes on RMDs.

Don't let the tax-tail wag the enjoyment-of-your-retirement dog. (But I get your point).
We have bought our modest forever home on a large tract of land which can enjoy 1-d-1 agriculture use-based tax exemption (Taxable value $150,000) so you CAN have your cake and eat it too in Texas. I am shooting for all the OP mentioned plus healthy balance in Roth IRA and HSA.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Assuming your estate is below the estate tax threshold, true.
Despite the estate tax, I think the LTCG still step up. And a couple can protect $22M after step up before paying taxes.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Agreed with these. Though I would prefer that dividends be passed through the corporation tax-free and taxable to the recipient at the full individual marginal tax rates (though there may need to be some wrinkle for taxing dividends paid to foreign shareholders). Double taxation discourages dividend payouts and encourages "retained earnings", which for many businesses can't be used effectively (resulting in unproductive "hoarding" of cash).

That does three things: first, it encourages dividend payouts (you can't fake real cash payouts like you can fake retained "earnings", so there is more faith in the integrity of the balance sheet). Secondly, it allows people of modest means to collect dividend income at still reasonably low tax rates. Thirdly, it makes US businesses more competitive and attractive for global capital. Is it a corporate giveaway? I don't think so. The corporation isn't keeping any of the money it is paying out by finding arcane loopholes. It is actually putting money into the hands of shareholders. And the shareholders would pay a tax rate based on their income.

The second one, though, would be an accounting nightmare, I think, which may be why they just decide that long term capital gains will be taxed at a certain amount lower than the marginal.
You have that all about right IMHO. Huge boom for US economy.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Agree. That appreciation from 200k makes little sense
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Despite the estate tax, I think the LTCG still step up. And a couple can protect $22M after step up before paying taxes.
Yes - the heirs will get stepped up capital gains on what remains after the estate pays the estate taxes.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Zillow shows 217 houses for sale over $1.5M in Austin. Not that many but not unheard of.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, yes. But the tax man gets his cut of what is above that amount once the step up in basis is applied.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Zillow shows 217 houses for sale over $1.5M in Austin. Not that many but not unheard of.
And a retired couple with otherwise a net worth of only $6.5M is going to own one of those?

The bit about buying a home for $200K in 1999 and appreciating to $1.5M today in Austin is extremely unrealistic.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
..... I don't get the second sentence. The gov't gets more than a trillion dollars in Social Security, Medicare, and Federal Income taxes from wage earners every year. If "wages hardly get taxed at all", where does that money come from?
The subject was income taxes, not social security or Medicare taxes.

Let's say that employer pays employee $100 of wages. Employee is in the 22% tax bracket and pays $22 in taxes on $100 of income. Employer gets a $100 deduction and get $21 tax benefit as a result.

Net impact is $1 of tax paid.... $22 paid by employee less $21 tax benefit employer receives.... seems like hardly taxed at all to me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aca, tax