Join Early Retirement Today

Question Why doesn't the Fed wait until after market hours?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Question Why doesn't the Fed wait until after market hours?

I know they don't have to, but obviously their announcements move our stock market.

I would think it would be an improvement for them to wait until the market closes before making their announcement. Then the market would have overnight or over a weekend to digest the news.

Maybe a gap down (or gap up) on opening is worse than treading water most of the day and then a sharp decline?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You think too logically. That would be the smart thing to do.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

1) Make an announcement at 2PM
2) Market craters
3) Buy low in last 2 hours
4) Market digests and goes up overnight
5) Profit!!

Don't fight it, make it work for you.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought the market was hoping for a rate cut?
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
I thought the market was hoping for a rate cut?

Already baked in.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

They got their cut but futures discounting 2 more cuts this year.

Fed comments less dovish than expected.

Que sera.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I know they don't have to, but obviously their announcements move our stock market.

I would think it would be an improvement for them to wait until the market closes before making their announcement. Then the market would have overnight or over a weekend to digest the news.

Maybe a gap down (or gap up) on opening is worse than treading water most of the day and then a sharp decline?
That is a great question! I would hope the Feds aren't using that to their personal advantage from the knowledge they have beforehand.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Then only the futures trader's would get in on the fun! Sept 19 contract is already trading at 2970 in the first 5 mins!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:51 PM   #9

They are bankers. 9-5. After the announcement, they take a coffee break and start thinking about going home. Just like the rest of us.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
That is a great question! I would hope the Feds aren't using that to their personal advantage from the knowledge they have beforehand.
That would be highly, highly illegal. AFAIK, they are barred from owning stocks in general.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #11

Historically, the Feds always announce during market hours. The 0.25% Rate cut was suppose to be a Gift to Wall st, but the greedy Wall st. peeps wanted a 0.50% Rate cut. And they wanted to be assured for several future rate cuts. Hard to satisfy the big money folks.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
1) Make an announcement at 2PM
2) Market craters
3) Buy low in last 2 hours
4) Market digests and goes up overnight
5) Profit!!

Don't fight it, make it work for you.
Whoops! It didn't happen this time. Sorry.

In all fairness I've thought the same many times. However it all comes back to only cashing in when all time highs are realized. The older I get the simpler the plan.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Whoops! It didn't happen this time. Sorry.

In all fairness I've thought the same many times. However it all comes back to only cashing in when all time highs are realized. The older I get the simpler the plan.
The market actually went up the following day after the Fed announcement like +280 points on the Dow.

Then, the $300 Billion China Tariff bombshell got announced in the afternoon. This is a separate event. Without the tariff bombshell, it would have gone up.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

+1

Yes, the market recovered the next day, then the additional tariff got dropped on it like an H-bomb. Pandemonium ensued.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 AM   #15

Well, we all know S&P will rally next week, we just do not know what new's event will be given the credit!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

As long as the market recovering next week, it does not matter who/what gets the credit as long as it recovers.

About the decline of the market in the last two trading days, it happened during trading hours, immediately after said events. When you clap your hands and the birds scatter, you have to believe that there's a cause/effect factor.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
That would be highly, highly illegal. AFAIK, they are barred from owning stocks in general.
I am not sure, but think that as long as they own equities indirectly through a custodian such as a mutual fund or an investment firm that they have no communications with, that would be fine. I recall that Greenspan owned only Treasuries, but bonds are also affected by the Fed committee decisions.

What asset is not affected by the Fed, from home prices to bonds to equities and gold, even cash?

Out of curiosity, I found the following Web page on code of ethics for the NY Reserve Bank employees:

https://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthef...-interest.html

Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As long as the market recovering next week, it does not matter who/what gets the credit as long as it recovers.
I agree and laugh all the time when Bob Pasani from CNBC come on and explains the reason the market is moving the way that day. Yes, there may be a macro reason some days, but most of the time I think he reaches down and pulls a reason out of his hat (or worse)!
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

About the decline of the market in the last two trading days, it happened during trading hours, immediately after said events. When you clap your hands and the birds scatter, you have to believe that there's a cause/effect factor.
Except that there are always clapping hands (or tweeting fingers as the case may be). Sometimes the market goes up. Sometimes the market goes down. So it goes...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #20

Nephew is an investment banker for a big-name firm. All his savings are in a blind trust.

He had a co-worker short a stock in a not-so-sneaky way and was caught, fired and sent to jail for 17 years in an incredibly short amount of time. The net profit on the short was $160K. Beyond stupid.

Point being, the direct market makers are easy to monitor.

Tags
announcement, fed, market