Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Maybe. But our banks are pretty big and sophisticated. The largest has a market cap of $85 billion (you pick the currency they are now equal), employs almost 100,000 people worldwide and about 20million customers worldwide. What kind of "volume' were you thinking about?
It's easier to run $1.3 trillion of GDP through the banking system than over $14 trillion dollars, can we agree on that?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Obama to Veto Financial Regulation Without Derivative Rules

Quote:
I will veto legislation that does not bring the derivatives market under control in some sort of regulatory framework that assures that we dont have the same kind of crisis that weve seen in the past, he said.
I like it. Hopefully this will stiffen the spines of wishy-washy Congress critters.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think we agree that your total banking system is bigger. However with 8-9000 banks (albeit declining in number) many of your banks are small and unsophisticated. In fact my experience has been that even the biggest banks are no more complex or sophistcated than the top Canadian Banks. No US Bank has a significant retail presence in Canada, while 3 Canadian Banks have such a presence in the US (BMO/Harris: RBC : TD Bank). I think US banks could learn a thing or two, thats all.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I think US banks could learn a thing or two, thats all.
Oooh, oooh, oooh . . . can one of the first things they learn be how to avoid destroying the world economy?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

The opposition strategy now seems clear. Simply repeatedly claim "Black is White". Thus the most restrictive piece of financial regulatory reform since the 1930's becomes a "bailout bill" and now this . . .

Republicans tried to tie Goldman to the Democratic majority. House Minority Leader John Boehner (R., Ohio) said the investment bank "has been supportive of President Obama's bill to create a permanent bailout fund for Wall Street."

The WSJ helpfully points out in the next paragraph that this is utter BS . . .

Quote:
The banking industry remains mostly against the Democrats' plan, objecting to limits on risk and growth, and hotly opposed to sweeping curbs on consumer products such as mortgages.
This is insane.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #166
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Hopefully this will stiffen the spines of wishy-washy Congress critters.
Finally! Something we can agree on. This certainly describes the majority of Congress critters these days.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

A pretty strong derivatives bill passed out of committee today with Chuck Grassley's support. Some news outlets are reporting that several Republicans are ready to break ranks . . . it looks like real reform may actually happen.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A blast from the banking reform past, courtesy of Time's archives. Check out the dateline.
I luvs the internets.
BANKS: Deposits Guaranteed - TIME
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

So it looks like recent polls showing that ~60% of people want financial regulatory reform passed has encouraged the party of "No" and "Hell No" back to the negotiating table. I only wish I knew whether they were negotiating to make the bill stronger or weaker. I haven't really seen anyone describe what they want changed other than to "end bailouts". That means the $50B fund will get scrapped, which is no real loss, but there has to be more going on then that. I'd like to know what.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

So a compromise is reached and nothing really changes . . .

Quote:
The Dodd-Shelby agreement would apply to a section of the bill that would give the government authority to liquidate large failing financial firms whose collapse would threaten the economy. The two senators have agreed to replace the proposed pre-funded [with industry paid fees] $50 billion reserve with language that would require regulators to impose fees on the financial industry to recoup costs for unwinding a company after a collapse, Dodd said today.
It's a good thing we're holding up legislation to make important changes like these.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

breaking up too big to fail = failed

a full audit of the federal reserve = failed

glass steagall back = failed

there is no financial reform.

oh yeah, they lowered merchant fees on debit card transactions, yipee
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Senate Republicans Call Reform Bill 'Takeover' of the Banking Industry.

Sounds familiar.

Still wondering what they support.