Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Your state, why do you stay?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your state, why do you stay?

Another poster said something that made me question why I stay where I live, based on political views.

Looking back we moved to this area of the country based on opportunities we didn't think we would have if we stayed where we grew up. OK, FIRE'ed the plan worked.

So here we are turning 59 this year asking why am I living in a state when I disagree with the viewpoints of many. I'm often embarrassed as to what I learn my representatives have voted for or against(yes, they've heard). I know I'm not going to change the majority, so why stay? We have no family here, no kids, no intention to move close to any family. So is disagreement with your state's leaning conservative vs. liberal is that reason to relocate?

Let's keep this thread easy for the mods, no need to point out why the others viewpoints are wrong.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My political views are very much in the minority in this state. I don't expect that to change.

I stay for these reasons, in this order:

1. Extended family members I am close to live here
2. Friendships built over decades
3. Lower cost of living & weather (equal weight)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #3

It is just my state of mind.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes minority voices speaking out lead to growing numbers of people seeing your view. Freedom of speech is a great thing and has led to abolitionists eventually freeing slaves, Jim Crow laws being over turned, women's right to vote, integration of our armed forces, civil rights movements, etc. What is sad is when people try to shut down free speech with people refusing to give others their opportunity to speak their point of view or trying to block them from even participating just because they don't agree. Good discussion is critical to our country maintaining our freedoms. All sides should have a say. Controlling the media and the schools can lead to the demise of democracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 AM   #5

I don't think there is any such thing as an entirely red or blue state. You can aways find pockets, sometimes very large regions, in most states where the prevailing politics is very different from the rest of the state.

So I wouldn't consider this reason to relocate. Not at all.

Besides, if everyone felt that way and moved to be near others of completely like mind, it would lead to a completely gerrymandered country with very little diversity. I would hate that.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

DW won't leave.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've lived in 5 cities in 4 states, and was never thrilled with city or state politics in any of them.

But after spending a great deal of time with the President ProTemp of our State Senate, I'm even less enamored with our state government. Since my friend was also the Chairman of the State Senate Budget Committee, I can see why our state's completely broke.

I live here for the extremely low cost of living, low taxation and because a great river/lake is sitting in my front yard.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

As a 6th generation Texan I am so very proud of my state heritage.
There is a strong sense of independence here and I am open minded enough to hear
and weigh viewpoints on both sides of an issue political, religious or otherwise. I like the climate here in Austin TX and enjoy many active outdoor recreation pursuits.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #9

Here in MN, we have some of the best weather for ~6 months out of the year. My rentals are in MN, so I pay MN income tax no matter where I reside.

I do want to spend Winters somewhere else once I completely FIRE in 178 days. Our property taxes are lower than many states, and they are talking about eliminating the tax on Social Security, which will help a lot.

The DGF can get nearly free healthcare when we join the ranks of the FIRE'd, at 45 years of age, despite having plenty of assets. That helps offset much of the income taxes that I pay, at least she gets some services back in return for the taxes I pay.

The cold weather keeps much of the riff-raff out that affects other states. When i was looking to move to AZ, or FL, I found it's had to find a lower crime rate city.

Cold weather is great, but only for a few days at a time...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'll bet the mods hate it when they have to go to work this early on a Sunday morning...
Old 01-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #11

I live in Upstate NY...taxes are too high, economic opportunity is too low. Winters can be brutal.
However: I love the climate April-December, I love the fact that there is little traffic. I have a nice little place on one of the Finger Lakes where I will spend most of my retirement hours.

I consider myself to be a moderate. I have friends all over the political spectrum.
I don't care about others' perception of where I live. It's my home. I'm happy here. IF that ceases to be case, I'll relocate. But I doubt politics will enter the equation.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
Administrator

Thanks folks, an interesting topic but impossible it seems to avoid the discussion of Presidential candidates in this election year.

Closed Thread