Join Early Retirement Today

3D Drawing Software?
Old 11-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3D Drawing Software?

Not retirement, but this forum is a wealth of info on many other topics.

It would be nice for my amateur videos among other projects to add 3D drawings to my toolbox. It’s just a hobby, so I’m looking for something free or inexpensive (LT $100?), not something like AutoCad (I used that at work long ago). But I want to be able to draw something other than geometric shapes, most of the free software I’ve found demonstrates with simple shapes. For example I just did a video that showed 18 golf holes in 2D - I wanted to use 3D with some topography. But I’d be drawing other things as well.

Any ideas on 3D drawing software I should look at?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

look at https://www.blender.org/
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with bingybear, Blender is an outstanding product for all types of 3D art/animation. It has been around almost as long as Poser. Poser is a great 3D product for "human" 3D art/animation, but, cost is about 300 dollars. Blender is FREE!

I have used Blender for years and it is always being updated. Poser, seems to be "falling behind".
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not retirement, but this forum is a wealth of info on many other topics.

It would be nice for my amateur videos among other projects to add 3D drawings to my toolbox. It’s just a hobby, so I’m looking for something free or inexpensive (LT $100?), not something like AutoCad (I used that at work long ago). But I want to be able to draw something other than geometric shapes, most of the free software I’ve found demonstrates with simple shapes. For example I just did a video that showed 18 golf holes in 2D - I wanted to use 3D with some topography. But I’d be drawing other things as well.

Any ideas on 3D drawing software I should look at?
The best free ones are:

Blender
Daz Studio
Mesh Mixer

None of these integrate with video editing software. I use Vegas Pro 14 for video editing. It's a manual process for incorporating any 3D models into your video.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
The best free ones are:

Blender
Daz Studio
Mesh Mixer

None of these integrate with video editing software. I use Vegas Pro 14 for video editing. It's a manual process for incorporating any 3D models into your video.
Maybe I’m not following you, but I was only envisioning doing 3D stills and then screen capture or save to jpeg to insert during video editing.

Thanks to all. I’ll look at Blender this AM.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

It depends what you are trying to create. If you want to create machine part models and/or woodworking plans then you may want to checkout the SketchUp. It is much faster once you get a hang of the shortcuts of mouse and keyboard. I went through a tutorial on youtube with some guy who made woodworking plans which helped me a lot. Some examples I created with SketchUp:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 9.47.21 AM.png (152.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 9.50.44 AM.png (204.0 KB, 17 views)
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Maybe I’m not following you, but I was only envisioning doing 3D stills and then screen capture or save to jpeg to insert during video editing.

Thanks to all. I’ll look at Blender this AM.
Sorry I thought you wanted to bring 3D models with a chroma key background and incorporate that into your videos as stills or animated.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
It depends what you are trying to create. If you want to create machine part models and/or woodworking plans then you may want to checkout the SketchUp. It is much faster once you get a hang of the shortcuts of mouse and keyboard. I went through a tutorial on youtube with some guy who made woodworking plans which helped me a lot. Some examples I created with SketchUp:
Agree on SketchUp for 3D Drawing software. It will export in JPEG (and many others). I would think just about any video editing software could import a JPEG to use as a still.

https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000167

You can also animate a SketchUp drawing (like make it rotate, change the view angle, move components, etc), and export that as a video:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000147

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As I mentioned in the OP, I am trying to develop good looking images of golf holes with basic terrain (just showing major elevation changes), somewhat 3D like the example below. I have crude layouts, playing experience and Google Maps/Earth 2D images and all the yardage info I need. It's just the images themselves I am having trouble producing. I used screen captures from Google Earth for my first golf course video, I'd like to do better.

I looked at Blender and SketchUp this morning and it appears they might work, but it'll take some time to learn how to use either?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yardage book-style3.jpg (60.0 KB, 13 views)

Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

+1 on Sketchup. For a free program it is awesome.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I mentioned in the OP, I am trying to develop good looking images of golf holes with basic terrain (just showing major elevation changes), somewhat 3D like the example below. I have crude layouts, playing experience and Google Maps/Earth 2D images and all the yardage info I need. It's just the images themselves I am having trouble producing. I used screen captures from Google Earth for my first golf course video, I'd like to do better.

I looked at Blender and SketchUp this morning and it appears they might work, but it'll take some time to learn how to use either?
If the 3D software is something accessible to a landscaper, then you will be able to learn it, in time. How close does the Google earth image come to filling the need?
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
How close does the Google earth image come to filling the need?
Good timing, I played with Google Earth for quite a while yesterday. It’s novel even amazing but maybe not what I was looking for.

Prob TMI but my golf video opens with a 2D image of each hole, “yardage book” info, description and local knowledge. Followed by an HD video from the tee, 100 yds out and green - each dynamic zoomed in. I was hoping to improve that first slide, like the example in post #9 above. The HD video shows elevation and green contours somewhat.

Google Earth image 3D resolution is highly variable, even set at “highest” resolution. And 3D trees look like paper mache, very odd.

It looks like SketchUp and Blender would ideal for topography, but it appears I’ll have to add trees and other features manually from what I gather so far. There may not be an easier way.

But I’ve having fun researching and I appreciate all the leads.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #13

My kids are into this... depending on what they are doing they use blender and sketchup.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My kids are into this... depending on what they are doing they use blender and sketchup.
Wonder which one they think is easier to learn? I’m sure they’re manageable, but they don’t appear to be easy/intuitive?

Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good timing, I played with Google Earth for quite a while yesterday. It’s novel even amazing but maybe not what I was looking for.

Prob TMI but my golf video opens with a 2D image of each hole, “yardage book” info, description and local knowledge. Followed by an HD video from the tee, 100 yds out and green - each dynamic zoomed in. I was hoping to improve that first slide, like the example in post #9 above. The HD video shows elevation and green contours somewhat.

Google Earth image 3D resolution is highly variable, even set at “highest” resolution. And 3D trees look like paper mache, very odd.

It looks like SketchUp and Blender would ideal for topography, but it appears I’ll have to add trees and other features manually from what I gather so far. There may not be an easier way.

But I’ve having fun researching and I appreciate all the leads.
Yes, those GEarth trees are interesting. The original imagery was converted to polygons or similar, so that the server can package limited data and transport that to a personal computer for rendering (I am guessing). To do otherwise would require much more bandwidth, computing Hp, and time.

In the image you first posted, there are a few trees, repeated as many times as necessary. I noticed that first, and it sure doesn't matter to a regular observer.

Keep notes, as it sounds like you'll have an excellent case study which others will be interested in. Could prove to be a nice article.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...... It looks like SketchUp and Blender would ideal for topography, but it appears I’ll have to add trees and other features manually from what I gather so far. There may not be an easier way.......
I've used Sketchup, but not for topography. Seems like its best suited for 3D drawing of geometric entities.

The only applications I've seen that may do what you want are derived from professional survey drone/satellite.

If you want contours in addition to 3d photography, you'd need a DEM (digital elevation model) of the golf course meshed with photography. Possible, but certainly something I haven't seen used by the general public - only by engineers with some advanced software.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

For topography 3D creation you should check out the free version (VUE Pioneer) of http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/ It makes building realistic 3D landscapes very, very easy, and, the price is right!
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #18

I'm reasonably proficient at Sketchup, but just doing the topography outside my house was a pain, and didn't look very good. There may be an add-on to make it easier, but AFAIK doing smooth hills in Sketchup isn't going to be easy. Flat/straight stuff, you can add textures and get it to look very realistic, but defining a curved surface quickly, to spec, and have it look good, I'd be surprised if that's possible. So, bottom line: forget Sketchup for landscaping.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote