View Poll Results: Use Alexa/OKGoogle?
Yes 77 50.00%
No 77 50.00%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Alexa poll update
Old 08-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Alexa poll update

Time to check in again, to see if there were any more Alexa/OK Google users. Skills for Alexa now top 35,000.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not I. I'm in the group that just isn't certain that someone would be always able to listen.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

Son uses Alexa. I notice he tends to yell at her when she fails to comply with his request. Amusing to say the least.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Voted "no" as I am not sure what it is and really do not care.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Time to check in again, to see if there were any more Alexa/OK Google users. Skills for Alexa now top 35,000.
not me i have device cameras ( physically ) blocked unless i actually need to use them , and unnecessary microphones disabled as well .

i have enough issues with spell-checkers that claim to correct to English/English maybe English/NZ might work better .

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

She was the Christmas gift of the year last year in my set of friends - all given by our 25-35 year old children.

I love having her around. She sets timers for me, wakes me up in the morning, tells me what time it is in the middle of the night without my moving my head from the pillow, plays "meow-meow" with my cats, converts ml to fluid ounces, does math, gives me the weather forecast, translates things for me, gives me definitions of words, plays NPR programs, and finds and plays music for me on Spotify.

The other night I said good night to her. She said "Good night. Sleep tight".
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #8

I've disabled the 'ok google' thing on my phone.... I will tap the mic icon if I want to "talk a question" to my phone.... which I don't do often. I don't want it always listening for the prompt.

This is in part because my 15 year old son uses ok-google for EVERY random question. He kept turning on my phone while I was driving. Very annoying.

He wants an Alexa also, I told him no.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #9

We have an Echo at the mountain house, an Echo in the kitchen of the main house, and an Echo Dot in the MBR of the main house. I use Alexa to make lists, set timers and reminders, and play music. We also get weather forecasts, sports scores, and answers to random questions. At the main house, she controls a few lamps.

The timer and shopping list functions are my favorite.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

No. It is a level of convenience and security risk I don't need.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

DD gave me an Echo last week for my birthday (she admitted it was a regift as she already has one, which she uses all the time). I might set it up but I feel like I will be cheating on Siri.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

We use Alexa daily, primarily to remind DH to take his two meds...and to tell us a corny joke now and then. Occasionally, we throw other questions at her, after seeing suggestions via email.

Alexa was a gift from DD.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

For a long time I thought Alexa was something I wouldn't use and had little interest in it. But, when we bought our current house the sellers commented to me how much they used Alexa and it got me interested. Then my hairdresser mentioned the same thing. There were some Echo Shows on sale at the time so I bought some. Currently have 4 Echo Shows, one Echo Plus and one regular Echo. We are really just getting started using. But, some of the things I've done so far:

1. Use it as in house intercom. DH and I have office at opposite ends of the house. We routinely use our respective Echo Shows to talk. Since it has a screen we can see each other as well or show the other something in their office. We used to talk on Skype when in our respective offices. Now we just use Alexa.

2. Add stuff to the shopping list. This is a small thing. But, sometimes DH will mention to me, for example, that we need to buy X at the grocery store. I immediately tell Alexa to add to the shopping list (he is getting better about doing this himself).

3. Act as an alarm or timer. I especially use it as a timer in the kitchen.

4. Act as speakers to play music. WE have Amazon music and you can ask for a specific type of music and Alexa will play it.

5. The Show can play music videos. Also, can watch Amazon Prime video on it.

6. Answer questions, give the weather, etc.

7. Use as a monitor when away from home. When away from home I can drop in to the rooms that have the Echo SHow and look in them. If lucky I can see a cat.

8. Control many functions of the security system (you can't arm the security system but not disarm).

9. Get my Fitbit stats.

10. -- Something I have not yet done but the prior owners did was to use it to control their smart lights.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an Echo in my bedroom and one in the living room. I listen to news, weather reports, Audible books, music, also have a few smart lights and outlets, and use it as a timer.
I also put one in my Mom's Assisted Living apartment and use it to communicate with her. Either of us can call the other, and I can also call her on it from my cell. She is 96, and the "hands-free" aspect of the Echo is much easier for her to deal with than the telephone.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DD gave me an Echo last week for my birthday (she admitted it was a regift as she already has one, which she uses all the time). I might set it up but I feel like I will be cheating on Siri.

DD bought me an Echo 18 months ago, and 6 months back we bought a Dot for the bedroom. We use them mostly for turning lights on and off, adjusting the heating, adding things to the shopping list, music and radio (we have poor radio reception where we live so waking up to a decent radio station is an unexpected bonus).
Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Not I. I'm in the group that just isn't certain that someone would be always able to listen.

Rich
+1
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:37 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I think we have 5 Alexa echoes in the house. We love them. I use them for news, music, everyone adds groceries to the shopping list. Super useful to us.
rwdflynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #18

DW just got an echo show for her, her mom and her siblings so they can all drop in on mom, who has dementia. It’s kind of fun and works pretty good for the intended purpose. DD already had an echo, so she is using the show the same way, but we like dropping in on her because she’s the DD with the three grand kids.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Voted "no" as I am not sure what it is and really do not care.
I don't know and I don't care. Those are my answers to many, many questions including this one!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Have owned an Echo for three years and mainly use for timer, alarm, music, and now adjusting thermostat. Better half also uses for recipe portion adjustments. Is it nice to have- yes! Could I survive without it - yes.
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote