Join Early Retirement Today

Alternatives to Ooma
Old 07-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Alternatives to Ooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
For the record, the monthly taxes and fees for Ooma's "free" service in my zipcode are $7.71. YMMV. Alternatively, one can easily add 911 service to an Obi/GV set-up for as little as $1.50/mo with Callcentric or $2 with Anveo. Or just use your cell for 911 if/when needed and keep the landline totally free, which is what we do.
For me, it comes to $5.18 a month. Sounds like your zip code is overtaxed. [emoji4]

Cell phones can get lost or misplaced or left in the car or be in another room. Or the battery can run out. Or maybe there was a local storm or earthquake or some such that knocked out cell service but Internet was still up (it has happened). For me, paying a small fee for redundant access to 911 is cheap insurance. And Google makes a lot of money from data mining it’s users. I do not know how much I trust them to not misuse anything.

The bottom line is, I know a lot of us are tightwads (and proud of it) whenever we can be, but honestly, the "why pay $5-7 a month when you can pay only $2" debate is really taking that to a logical extreme.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
For me, it comes to $5.18 a month. Sounds like your zip code is overtaxed. ...
Or maybe it's a lot of junk fees added by Ooma.

Quote:
...Cell phones can get lost or misplaced or left in the car or be in another room. Or the battery can run out. Or maybe there was a local storm or earthquake or some such that knocked out cell service but Internet was still up (it has happened). For me, paying a small fee for redundant access to 911 is cheap insurance...
Landline handsets can get lost or misplaced or be in another room. Or the power can go out. Or maybe there was a local storm or earthquake or some such that knocked out internet service but cell service was still up.

The reality is, most households in the US no longer have landline phone service at all. So they rely on cellular 911 service. Ours is the same.

Quote:
...The bottom line is, I know a lot of us are tightwads (and proud of it) whenever we can be, but honestly, the "why pay $5-7 a month when you can pay only $2" debate is really taking that to a logical extreme.
It's more than $2 vs $5-7 because you have to subscribe to Ooma Premier to get many of the features included with free GV, which I listed earlier (and you omitted in the quote). A more apples-to-apples comparison is $2 vs $16-18/mo, which equates to about $200/yr.

On top of that, other important parts of the value equation include upfront hardware costs, porting costs, international calling costs, usability with other VoIP providers, automatic spam/robo blocking, etc... all of which favor the Obi/GV solution.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #103

+1 on Google Voice with the OBI, it just works like it's supposed to and never a problem.

I've been using for many year and saved a ton of money
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #104

I ported my number from mediacom to centurylink and had to keep the old one active until it was completed. they said it takes 3-4 weeks but mine was ported in a week.

for you guys with the obi over google do you have to leave your computer running all the time to maintain the calling? just curious. cost for ooma is 5.82 a mo. I am on the free trial of ooma premier, will have to see what features I loose when it goes back to just basic. all I really want is caller id and my phone no I have had forever.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I ported my number from mediacom to centurylink and had to keep the old one active until it was completed. they said it takes 3-4 weeks but mine was ported in a week.

for you guys with the obi over google do you have to leave your computer running all the time to maintain the calling? just curious. cost for ooma is 5.82 a mo. I am on the free trial of ooma premier, will have to see what features I loose when it goes back to just basic. all I really want is caller id and my phone no I have had forever.
Is call blocking and caller name important to you? For me, those features of Premier are worth the extra $10/month. Otherwise, I'd still be hounded by telemarketers and robocalls. Even with Premier and call blocking based on lists (I allow non-listed callers to go straight to leaving a message) telemarketing calls can slip through once in a while, but not often.

With Premier + taxes, I pay what comes out to about $17/month. Not as cost effective as obi plus GV, but I think more plug and play. No complaints as I'm still enjoying my savings over ATT which was about $75/month.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks again, frank, for the info.

Seize the day....Soli Deo gloria
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #107

Quote:
...for you guys with the obi over google do you have to leave your computer running all the time to maintain the calling?...
No. The Obi device connects to your router and stays connected to Google Voice as long as you have power and internet service. Your computers are not involved.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #108

Frank the computer does not have to be turned on, the OBI plugs into your router.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote