Alternatives to Ooma

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The thread about recent upticks in spam/junk calls got me thinking about how my Ooma home phone service works. I ditched my AT&T landline about 4 years ago in favor of an Ooma Telo device and their basic "free" monthly plan. It now costs me about $5/month (regulatory fees and taxes) as opposed to over $40/month when I had the AT&T line.

However... I'm starting to question the actual value of Ooma. Sure, it's only $5/month, but with the free version I can't do anything about the 2-3 spam/junk calls I'm getting every day. I can't even block specific, known spam numbers with Ooma Basic. They only allow that functionality if you upgrade to Ooma Premier, which would essentially triple the monthly cost ($15). Even though those spam/junk calls annoy me, I'm not sure paying $120 more per year to silence them would be a good value for the money.

With all that said, does anyone know of a good, free (or very low cost) VOIP service that allows for automatic spam/junk call blocking? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $10 per month for such a service, including all taxes and fees. I could pay $15/month for this with Ooma, after all, and I've decided against that for now.

Two other related questions, if you'd like to chime in on them:
1) How valuable is spam/junk call blocking to you, in dollars per month?
2) Do you place any value in having a landline-like phone (VOIP or traditional) at your primary residence, or do you simply use your cell phone for all calling?

Spammers are spoofing phone numbers. The target for call blockers keeps moving. I set my office line with no ringer. Ocansionally look over at it. Oh...there's a message. Pick up...delete

I prefer a one time payment for app and/or device than a monthly payment. A monthly payment can always increase. Also, I think and app and/or hardware device is more in my control.

I have both a landline and cell phone. A landline is kind of a splurge as I'm paying about $70/month just for unlimited nationwide calling. My cell, I use mostly for texting and web browsing when traveling (and time wasting:popcorn:).

I like having a landline as I don't want to be constantly charging my cell phone. Plus, I think the call quality still is better with a landline.

My call blocking strategy is as follows ...

Landline: Sentry Call Blocker v2. List based. Calls not on my accept list get screened at first ring and a recording with a mean man's voice says if the caller has no business calling, the remove me from their telemarketing list.

Mobile:

- For calls - free Android app named "Call blocker" (yeah, I know, generic name). List based. Set to only allow calls through from people on my contact list. Otherwise routes to voice mail.

- For texts - Android app (about $4) named Postman. Set to only allow texters from my contact list and those I mark as trusted. Others get flagged as spam and I can chose to trust and allow or not.

If you get a device like a Sentry call blocker, wouldn't that screen out callers before going to Ooma? I haven't tried Ooma but think that might work. Just a thought.

If you get a device like a Sentry call blocker, wouldn't that screen out callers before going to Ooma? I haven't tried Ooma but think that might work. Just a thought.

Thanks for this tip. This could be exactly what I need. I could place the Sentry device between my Ooma Telo and my phone handset, and it would operate exactly the same as with a traditional land line. Do you have any thoughts on the Sentry version 3 vs. version 2? Does it allow you to block "neighbor spoofing" calls, where the incoming call looks very similar to your own number?

The thread about recent upticks in spam/junk calls got me thinking about how my Ooma home phone service works. I ditched my AT&T landline about 4 years ago in favor of an Ooma Telo device and their basic "free" monthly plan. It now costs me about $5/month (regulatory fees and taxes) as opposed to over $40/month when I had the AT&T line.

However... I'm starting to question the actual value of Ooma. Sure, it's only $5/month, but with the free version I can't do anything about the 2-3 spam/junk calls I'm getting every day. I can't even block specific, known spam numbers with Ooma Basic. They only allow that functionality if you upgrade to Ooma Premier, which would essentially triple the monthly cost ($15). Even though those spam/junk calls annoy me, I'm not sure paying $120 more per year to silence them would be a good value for the money.

With all that said, does anyone know of a good, free (or very low cost) VOIP service that allows for automatic spam/junk call blocking? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $10 per month for such a service, including all taxes and fees. I could pay $15/month for this with Ooma, after all, and I've decided against that for now.

Two other related questions, if you'd like to chime in on them:
1) How valuable is spam/junk call blocking to you, in dollars per month?
2) Do you place any value in having a landline-like phone (VOIP or traditional) at your primary residence, or do you simply use your cell phone for all calling?

I have been quite pleased with the basic service from Ooma. Yes, they want to upsell to Premier but I don't blame them; after all, they have to monetize SOMETHING or else they'll be out of business soon.
Personally, I deal with spam/junk calls the same way I have been dealing with them for at least 30 years: I screen ALL my calls and simply ignore the ones I don't want to answer. This used to annoy many of my friends and relatives back in the 80-ies and early 90-ies, but in the meantime, people have gotten used to it. In fact, doesn't EVERYONE
screen calls these days? :cool:

I do like my land (VOIP) line quite a bit. That's mainly because my cell reception is poor at my house (in the middle of the city, go figure!), and because my cell service is through TING and I only get 100 minutes a month.

Thanks for this tip. This could be exactly what I need. I could place the Sentry device between my Ooma Telo and my phone handset, and it would operate exactly the same as with a traditional land line. Do you have any thoughts on the Sentry version 3 vs. version 2? Does it allow you to block "neighbor spoofing" calls, where the incoming call looks very similar to your own number?

You are welcome. The two main advantages of Sentry v3 vs v2 from what I've read (I've only used v1 and v2) are that v3 has a keypad to enter numbers and also I think (not 100% sure) it carries over the name of caller. There's also an option to leave message and record your own greeting with v3 but from reviews I've read, the audio isn't the best. If I was buying as my first blocker, I'd probably get the v3 mostly because the list contains names. With v2, that only has numbers which is harder to separate going through a list.

With the Sentry blockers, you work off a list of allowed callers you create. Any caller not on that list gets screened. So yes, if a spoofer changes one digit away from someone on your list, that would get screened. I also added my own number as one to reject as spoofers are known to try and fool folks by spoofing to the receivers numbers.

You can see more about the Sentry v2 vs v3 here:

https://www.telsentry.com/

A landline is kind of a splurge as I'm paying about $70/month just for unlimited nationwide calling.
Did you mean to say $70/year, or is it truly $70/month? If the latter, I don't see why the OP wouldn't just go with Ooma Premier for roughly $15/mo (w/fees).

Did you mean to say $70/year, or is it truly $70/month? If the latter, I don't see why the OP wouldn't just go with Ooma Premier for roughly $15/mo (w/fees).

I'm paying about $70/month. ATT landline. I'm one of those [-]suckers[/-] old fashioned types :blush:.

I also have an Ooma and Pay the $5 a month.... My wife likes it, so we keep it.... When we travel to other countries we take along an OBI200 (about $50) and is the size of a hockey puck. Connect a Google Voice number to it (also Free) and you're good to go. Not totally Plug and Play, you have to set it up using the OBItalk site.... But not hard...

Just plug in a Phone and connect to a network.... We've used in Australia, Bahamas and recently Hawaii... Works great... Completely Free after you buy it.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200

I also have an Ooma and Pay the $5 a month.... My wife likes it, so we keep it.... When we travel to other countries we take along an OBI200 (about $50) and is the size of a hockey puck. Connect a Google Voice number to it (also Free) and you're good to go. Not totally Plug and Play, you have to set it up using the OBItalk site.... But not hard...

Just plug in a Phone and connect to a network.... We've used in Australia, Bahamas and recently Hawaii... Works great... Completely Free after you buy it.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200

You seem to have experience with both Ooma and Obi. How would you compare the two?

You seem to have experience with both Ooma and Obi. How would you compare the two?

Ooma is a 'Phone like Device' complete with answering machine... Good for neophytes.... Obi200 (They make a lot of different devices) is more of a network device and is more 'technical'....

I think if you dig deep in Obi, it may have even more features.... I have not explored all of the features as I Personally don't like phones at all... The only reason I use them is for my Non-Technical friends, Businesses... etc.... I prefer e-mail.

I'm paying about $70/month. ATT landline. I'm one of those [-]suckers[/-] old fashioned types :blush:.
OMG! You can use Google Voice with Hangouts on a computer / smartphone / iPad etc and make unlimited nationwide calls for free.

We pay for Ooma Premier and had it switched to our old landline #. We have a white list/contacts and everything else goes to voicemail. It isn't the cheapest solution but it is very easy.

We use Google Voice and the Obi-200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline phone service. IIRC, the Obi device sells for around $50 on Amazon. Set-up with GV is easy and well documented. Calls in the US and Canada are free and most international calls are 1-2 cents per minute. As mentioned earlier, GV is already free on PCs, tablets, smartphones, etc. The Obi-200 VoIP adapter just enables use with your existing landline handsets.

After 6 years, we rarely get robo/telemarketing calls of any kind. Google's spam call filtering appears to be extremely good. If one does get through, it's quite easy to block the number and report it as spam.

You get all the usual features like voicemail, call forwarding, call blocking, conference calling, caller ID, etc. One feature I really like is getting a notification on my mobile phone when I miss a call at home, including the voicemail transcription as a text. No 911 service though, so you'll need a cell for emergencies, or pay a small fee.

I currently have a phone through mediacom, can I port that number to ooma or obi200? does anyone know how and which site to find that information?

OMG! You can use Google Voice with Hangouts on a computer / smartphone / iPad etc and make unlimited nationwide calls for free.

Yeah, I know :(. One of the "there is savings to be had" things that I just haven't got around to. As I said, I'm one of the [-]suckers[/-] old fashioned types.

I currently have a phone through mediacom, can I port that number to ooma or obi200? does anyone know how and which site to find that information?

Only a mobile number can be ported to GV. But there's a well-documented 2-step process to port a landline number as well. Just sounds like a bit of a hassle to me. Google charges $20 plus there's some cost with the temporary port to a mobile number. I dumped the old landline number when we switched to GV+Obi. We had it for 30+ years, but it was was plagued with spam calls.

I've never used Ooma but after a quick Google search, it appears they charge $39.99 to port your old number and they say it takes several weeks. The fee is waived if you subscribe to Ooma Premier.

We pay for Ooma Premier and had it switched to our old landline #. We have a white list/contacts and everything else goes to voicemail. It isn't the cheapest solution but it is very easy.

This thread has me thinking about the grass is greener on the other side as in Ooma basic. Not only would I'd be saving a lot over ATT's monthly fee but could brag that my OTA reception, internet,home phone and mobile added together would be under $100/month.

5bb4aea72100006401c8178f.jpeg

Was doing some reading over at Amazon's reviews. Seems whether the Sentry works or not with Ooma is a mixed bag :(. Some folks say works and others say does not.

A follow up. This thread inspired me to finally take action against the $75/month bill I'm getting for unlimited local/long distance so I went ahead and decided to get Ooma. Just installed Ooma's box last night. So far so good. I decided to go with Ooma Premier as I like the idea of their setting on the computer to block callers and a deal breaker for me is Premier has caller id + name, whereas basic only as caller id. For the extra $9.99/month with premier, I can splurge on that. Still, overall Ooma at approximately $15/month is a lot better than ATT at $75/month and climbing.

As for a Sentry call blocker with Ooma, I did go ahead an do a quick test. I connected my Sentry v2.0 blocking device in parallel (using a splitter) to the Ooma device and the Sentry seems to work fine. Of course, with that set up, I'd still get 1 ring then Sentry intercepts. I did decide to go with premier so won't use the Sentry but instead use the blocking of Ooma, but just wanted to follow up.

A follow up. This thread inspired me to finally take action against the $75/month bill I'm getting for unlimited local/long distance so I went ahead and decided to get Ooma. Just installed Ooma's box last night. So far so good. I decided to go with Ooma Premier as I like the idea of their setting on the computer to block callers and a deal breaker for me is Premier has caller id + name, whereas basic only as caller id. For the extra $9.99/month with premier, I can splurge on that. Still, overall Ooma at approximately $15/month is a lot better than ATT at $75/month and climbing.

As for a Sentry call blocker with Ooma, I did go ahead an do a quick test. I connected my Sentry v2.0 blocking device in parallel (using a splitter) to the Ooma device and the Sentry seems to work fine. Of course, with that set up, I'd still get 1 ring then Sentry intercepts. I did decide to go with premier so won't use the Sentry but instead use the blocking of Ooma, but just wanted to follow up.

Can you share with us as to why you chose Ooma vs. Obi? Obi service is free and it has free Google Voice blocker (I.e. you can block any number of telephone numbers). Ooma unit is about $80 while Obi unit is about $50 on Amazon...

Just curious...

Can you share with us as to why you chose Ooma vs. Obi? Obi service is free and it has free Google Voice blocker (I.e. you can block any number of telephone numbers). Ooma unit is about $80 while Obi unit is about $50 on Amazon...

Just curious...

To me Ooma seems easier to install. Enhanced 911 by me and easier to port my landline. From what I read about Google Voice (GV), need to get a temporary mobile, then port to that, then port from mobile to GV and if you want E911, get a service that supports E911.

Plus, I like the idea of having a customer support number to call with Ooma.

The GV/Obi seems a bit more DIY than Ooma. Though the idea of GV/Obi practically free was tempting. But not tempting enough for me to do the extra steps.

Last edited:
To me Ooma seems easier to install. Enhanced 911 by me and easier to port my landline. From what I read about Google Voice (GV), need to get a temporary mobile, then port to that, then port from mobile to GV and if you want E911, get a service that supports E911.

Plus, I like the idea of having a customer support number to call with Ooma.

The GV/Obi seems a bit more DIY than Ooma. Though the idea of GV/Obi practically free was tempting. But not tempting enough for me to do the extra steps.

Appreciate the feedback and completely understand your reasoning.

One comment on the telephone number. If you have a gmail account you have the option of picking a GV number for free. So, no need to port a number unless you want a particular number, like your current one.

Back
Top Bottom