Join Early Retirement Today

Any Mercedes E250 Diesel Owners Here, need info on installed Tech Options.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any Mercedes E250 Diesel Owners Here, need info on installed Tech Options.

I hope this is the correct Forum.

I am currently looking for a Mercedes E250 Diesel ~2016. I need/want some specific Tech Options.

The most important for me is an audible & graphical proximity detection system. In other words when backing up or parking I would like an indication that I am getting close etc. My current BMW has this system standard, but it was an option on the MBZ E250.

My question(s) is/are:

What Packages does one have to get in order to get this feature (360 Degree Object Avoidance)? Parking Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Lane Assist or all?

Of course the car will need the Nav system also for the video display, but for me a Nav is mandatory anyway.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I think I may have answered my own question here. The option is Parking Assist (I think)that includes front and rear proximity detectors.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This web site

https://www.cars.com/research/merced...usc40mbcag1a0/

seems to have a good listing of which features comes with which package. I'm sure there are others you can find.

Check youtube too, for example, MB has a bunch of safety videos up there.

I have a 2014 E250BlueTec diesel. We got all the technology packages so can answer any specific question you might have.

The Parking Assist package includes a feature where it'll park itself as well as a "Surround View Camera System". I really like this - it shows a top down view of the car which I use all the time.

There is a separate front proximity sensor that beeps when you pull up to a wall, say, and there are leds that show how close. I *think* this is include in all versions of the car. It's handy when I pull into the garage and it tells me how close I am to driving through the wall into the dining room.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I would get a 2020. The MBUX infotainment system is amazing. Here is my dashboard. with a simple voice command I can check and do anything.

IMG_0252.JPG

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
I would get a 2020. The MBUX infotainment system is amazing. Here is my dashboard. with a simple voice command I can check and do anything.

Attachment 32460
They do not sell a diesel anymore in the USA or I would.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
They do not sell a diesel anymore in the USA or I would.
I’ve been driving Mercedes since 1987 and I didn’t know that. I just looked it up. They said a complete lack of consumer interest stopped them from selling it here anymore and accounted for less than 3% of their sales.

So, why the interest in a diesel? Just curious.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If it’s fuel economy here’s what I got today on a combination of city hill highway driving in a 4400 pound GLE beast.

IMG_0565.jpg

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 08-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I’ve been driving Mercedes since 1987 and I didn’t know that. I just looked it up. They said a complete lack of consumer interest stopped them from selling it here anymore and accounted for less than 3% of their sales.

When I was chatting with the folks at the dealership they blamed it on the VW diesel scandal. MB wasn't involved (my BlueTec has a urea tank "AdBlue") unlike VW which claimed to be able to meet regulations without it - obviously not.

When I eventually trade in my E250 I'm going to miss getting 40-45 mpg on trips. The 4 cylinder E350 gets barely 30 mpg. And diesel is usually a lot cheaper than premium gas.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Honestly, if I am going to buy a car as opposed to lease as I normally do. I want as Diesel, having owned a few, they are really bulletproof if built well and the engine will outlive me.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I own a 2015 E250 4-Matic diesel. It drives like a dream and I typically go 600 to 700 miles between fill-ups on the 21-gallon tank with mixed driving. Highway range on trips approaches 900 miles. It won't win any drag races, but it's surprising peppy off the line for a 2.1L engine.

It requires pure diesel (no more than 5% biodiesel blended in) which is a problem in IL, where they sell almost exclusively 11% to 15% biodiesel blends due to a state tax credit. I have identified a couple of stations within 6 miles of home that carry real diesel, so I've managed to avoid using biodiesel. Sams Club, Meijer and some Exxon/Mobil stations sell real diesel.

There is very little diesel sound coming from the engine. Inside of the passenger compartment, you will never know it's a diesel. The exhaust is invisible and nearly odorless. No soot, no smell. When I test drove the car, I thought they gave me a gas-powered E350 by mistake. I literally ran around back to check the emblem to make sure it was a E250 Bluetec.

I don't plan to ever sell the E250. I also have a GL320 diesel that's 12 years old and has 106,000 miles. We'll be keeping that one forever as well.
Sangiovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangiovese View Post
I own a 2015 E250 4-Matic diesel. It drives like a dream and I typically go 600 to 700 miles between fill-ups on the 21-gallon tank with mixed driving. Highway range on trips approaches 900 miles. It won't win any drag races, but it's surprising peppy off the line for a 2.1L engine.
You are lucky, the challenge seems to be finding one with Parktronic which is my only requirement.

What is the Maintenance like? As it is a diesel it is probably very minimal.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I found a 2106, but it had a panoramic roof (We live in Florida) and is not a 4matic. Other than that it is perfect. Seems they want $6k over what KBB and Edmunds recommend for full retail