Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any Surface Pro or Go users out there?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any Surface Pro or Go users out there?

I am considering buying a Surface Go for travel and want some feedback. My reasons are that I don't like laptops and I want both Google Docs/Sheets and a small handful of Windows only apps available when I am away. My question for users is whether these things really function like a Windows laptop. Will I be able to download and install windows apps just as I am used to? Will Chrome function fine?

I don't need this for power use so no big memory hogs and I won't be using the MS Office suite. I am leaning to the Go for reduced size. In fact I would rather something the size of an iPad mini but I want to be able to run the apps I need.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I have one it is just like a PC with Windows 10, I use it for Travel too and it works great. My recommendation is to get the largest SSD you can, mine is 500gb, a nice case to protect it and the Type Cover. It ends up being quite expensive, but if you like the flexibility of Windows vs the restrictions of Apple iPAD products, it works well.

Here are a couple of Photos of Mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9288 (Medium).JPG (81.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9289 (Medium).JPG (96.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9291 (Medium).JPG (74.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have a Surface pro 3 and it's basically just a Windows computer. My only computer. It's docked and connected to a monitor,mouse and full size keyboard at our city home and at our lake home. I use it with the connectable keyboard and an arc BT mouse when I need a computer someplace else.

At the city home it automatically backs up to our NAS box and has USB connections to two scanners, a Wacom tablet, my ham radio transceiver, and various other transitory stuff.

It's the best overall computing solution I have ever owned.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the thread, I look forward to reading. My beloved iPad is getting pretty slow, so I expect to be in the market sometime in the next year? I prefer Win10 for our desktop and laptop, so a Surface something may be the best next step for me to replace my iPad and my desktop. I won't be able to let go of my iPhone though.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thanks for the thread, I look forward to reading. My beloved iPad is getting pretty slow, so I expect to be in the market sometime in the next year? I prefer Win10 for our desktop and laptop, so a Surface something may be the best next step for me to replace my iPad and my desktop. I won't be able to let go of my iPhone though.
My wife has an iPad that I use frequently. I love it for email, forums/RSS feeds, photos, and general browsing. I hate it when I want to do something with a file or if I need to interact with a web site. particularly forms. Same with my iPhone. They are all we have taken on trips over the last few years but we may go away for longer periods soon thus the need for something different.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
My wife has an iPad that I use frequently. I love it for email, forums/RSS feeds, photos, and general browsing. I hate it when I want to do something with a file or if I need to interact with a web site.
My wife has one too, personally I do not like using it as it seems to in some cases return things that "Apple" wants you to see as opposed to what you want. Often she throws up her hands and goes to her computer for what she calls the "Real" scoop. I think as long as there is an app, preferably paid for, it works well.... for some.

Sometimes I call to her to take a look at something (We both have our own offices/studies) that I have found of interest to us and she cannot find it on her iPad, but finds it immediately on her computer.

As you say it is very good for mindless stuff like browsing, viewing videos etc., especially for folk who are less computer literate, or those who do not want to be, it does make some things easy. And if one does not mind being pointed in Apple's direction.

It used to be a very good solution for being light and handy when traveling (anywhere), but now you can get a real computer in tablet form, not so much. The ONLY thing is that Windows Tablets are usually a lot heavier, and have less battery life.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been using my surface pro 3 for years now. bluetooth mouse, charging cable, and external SSD fit easily in the case I have for it (and its cover/keyboard). Amazing for travel. If I didn't need a more powerful machine for my normal use at home I'd use it as my primary computer. I think most people would be happy with just it honestly.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If you are considering the Surface Pro, also give the Lenovo Miix a look. The Mixx is Lenovo's response to the Surface.

I bought a Lenovo Miix 720 in Jan 2017 for $570. Core m5 | 8 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD

Very happy with it... it has performed flawlessly.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very happy with my Surface Pro 4 and keyboard cover. It does everything I need for work and faster than my other full-sized laptops (although they are older). My main complaint is that the keyboard bounces around a bit, so if I need to type a LOT or I want to watch a lot of video, I take my MacBook Pro for its keyboard and screen. But the Surface Pro is much more convenient for most things.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm another Surface Pro 3 user. I love it. I still have regular old programs I want to use so an app only tablet would be a no go. As others have said the Surface Pro (even an old one like a 3) has plenty of power for everyday computing when docked into a full size keyboard, mouse, and screen.

I do have one bias though. I love the pen! Whenever I am undocked from a screen I use the pen for all input (pop up keyboard with hunt and peck or the handwriting input). Windows 10 initially broke many of the pen functions but an update has brought back pen computing.
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote