Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone have a Really big LCD TV?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone have a Really big LCD TV?

We are researching a new TV. We currently have a 55" Sharp that has served us well. I am looking at 75" only, any bigger will not fit where I want it to go. I will need to do some changes to the location where the TV is, but that is not an issue as I made the space for the existing one when we got it 10 years ago.

We are leaning towards the Samsung UN75NU7100FXZA.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n75nu7100fxza/

This is our current setup that will need some widening to accommodate it or an equivalent.

Any help based on experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Brilliant TV Job (Medium).jpg (53.0 KB, 73 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We have an 80" LCD. Absolutely love it although whenever company comes over there is a conversation that starts with Holy crap is that TV huge. Only down side that we have noticed is that bad camera work becomes really noticeable. Any camera giggle looks emphasized on a big screen. All in All we love it. Fun watching sports when the players are actual size
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Not bigger but we bought a Samsung 4K 55" LCD Smart TV a couple of years ago, and we've been very happy with it. Samsung is one of the top tier TV brands IMO.

And the one you're looking at has all the bells & whistles I'd want, 4K, 120 Hz refresh rate, etc. The only question I'd follow up on is HDMI ports, the online specs just show 3. HDMI ports are not all the same. I'd make sure at least one is 4K compatible - HDMI 2.0 or higher, HDMI (HDCP 2.2) for future proofing.

OLED's have better pictures, but they cost a lot more too as you know.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not bigger but we bought a Samsung 4K 55" LCD Smart TV a couple of years ago, and we've been very happy with it. Samsung is one of the top tier TV brands IMO.

And the one you're looking at has all the bells & whistles I'd want, 4K, 120 Hz refresh rate, etc. The only question I'd follow up on is HDMI ports, the online specs just show 3. HDMI ports are not all the same. I'd make sure at least one is 4K compatible - HDMI 2.0 or higher, HDMI (HDCP 2.2) for future proofing.

OLED's have better pictures, but they cost a lot more too as you know.
Thanks, I only really need 1 4k HDMI port as the TV is just a monitor driven from my Onkyo AVR HD. It has all the media players and CATV Receivers connector via it to the TV.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikebike View Post
We have an 80" LCD. Absolutely love it although whenever company comes over there is a conversation that starts with Holy crap is that TV huge. Only down side that we have noticed is that bad camera work becomes really noticeable. Any camera giggle looks emphasized on a big screen. All in All we love it. Fun watching sports when the players are actual size
I have no room for an 80" . I like integrated installations with no wires showing, an 80" would almost touch the edges and look a little silly in that designated space IMHO.

I would love a 75" curved TV but cannot find one at a reasonable price.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our new/downsized home was built about 12 years ago, so had those 'holes' to put TV's in. DH engineered a wooden brace inside it, and then installed the hanger bracket on said brace. We then had to pay a TV installer $50 to come with a buddy on a Saturday and hoist this sucker up on the bracket because we could not do it ourselves. Samsung 75" 4K Ultra HD LED, bought about 18 months ago at Costco. I did took a picture to give you an idea of the finished product. The goal was to get a tv big enough to cover up the hole. It did. Can't even see anything if you peek around back either. The hole was taller than it was wide, which is why we went so big.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If you can swing another $500, Samsung's 8000 series will have a better picture and has a few extras. Still not as good as their QLED series(their answer to OLED) but a pretty good set. Having said that, I bought the previous years model(6900) for my condo and it's not bad. But wish I had purchased an 8000 model.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Yes, and also make sure whichever model you choose has support for the "latest & greatest" HDR specs. This is one of the most important technologies in 4K TVs today. The 70" 4K Vizio I bought a few years ago lacks this feature, which I now regret.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...hat-is-hdr-tv/
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've got a 60" plasma over my fireplace in the man-cave. Took a winch to get it up there, as it must weigh 150 lbs.

The new UHD televisions in Sams Club this week were hooked up to a digital recorder, and the pictures were incredible. If I needed a new television, I'd be going Samsung--as big as I can afford. Go for it.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #10

I have a 70"LG and love it. My brother bought the 65"LG w/OLED for almost triple the cost. He says my picture is better than his. The secret; read forums expressly for the TV you buy in order to learn how to set it up and adjust the thing for optimum image. It took me over two weeks dinking, adjusting, switching back and forth. It was like being in an eye exam with the doc asking which is better; this or this? Only I had to do this on different programs; sitcoms, evening news, sports, etc. until I found a setting that worked. When people come over and watch TV with us, they are simply amazed how real things look. Especially Burger King commercials. Dang! That burger makes me hungry every time I see it! Ha!

But seriously, set up your TV and learn how well it can reproduce real images. I focused on NBC nightly news with Lester Holt. His dark blue suit, with it's shadows, sheen, fine thread pattern, worked great. I have cable w/DVR and would stop the image, adjust, then compare with last settings until it worked. Reality TV shows are amazing. Survivor is great with it's tropical colors. Now I can really see how filthy the contestants are!! Ha!
Optimal seating distance from the screen is important too. There's a formula you can search for online that tells you. 40 degree viewing angle for the screen size I think. I sit 8' back from my 70" screen and it's perfect. Further back and it's a waste of money for HD.

Oh, and invest in a good sound bar system. The audio on these TV's are notoriously bad.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #11

LG 55 inch UH 7700 here. My 1st few weeks were just like SkiPro33's. Trial and error.

I am not impressed with Smart TV's as various streaming channels don't work on web os or whatever the tv has. Prefer a Roku.

Sound is a problem. Neither TV nor sound bar worked for my 16 x 19 room. Voices were muffled. Ended up getting an Onkyo receiver, Yamaha sub-woofer and Polk center speaker. Plus 4 speakers I already had.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

TV Sound is never really good. It is not intended to be. As mentioned, I only use my current 55" as a monitor, the 75" will just replace it. Do not use any streaming channels or ANY other feature. Just a Monitor fed from my AV system.

We have 2 Media players, each has a 5tb hard drive integrated. We all our movies and only complete TV Series. Use basic cable for all other content, no premium channels or fancy stuff.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We have a 65” OLED ultraHD TV. Fantastic. It’s hooked into our surround sound audio system and Apple TV for streaming.

Our TV is mounted very low on the wall such that center line is at eye level when seated in our recliners.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Our TV is mounted very low on the wall such that center line is at eye level when seated in our recliners.

Ours is on a low table for exactly the same reason. Here's a test; sit in front of your TV with it off and look at your reflection. If you do not see your reflection exactly in the middle of the TV, then adjust it so it is. Either angle it down if it's mounted on a wall, or tilt it if on a low table or stand.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have a 65” OLED ultraHD TV. Fantastic. It’s hooked into our surround sound audio system and Apple TV for streaming.

We just got our 65” LG OLED65C9AUA on Friday. It’s got an amazing picture after I tweaked the settings. I love that I can control my Denon AVR volume and power with the tv remote. It also controls my Apple TV. Oh, and my Comcast box which is going away soon.
The price at Costco just dropped $300, so I’ll be getting some money back! [emoji851]
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ours is mounted above the Fireplace but is tilted down so it is effortless to view. The Speakers are also directional and set to focus on MY seating position.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

The 40 & 55 we currently have were huge when new.

Slightly related but funny... 15 years ago we moved and had to store some furniture for a few months. One item that was stored - a 32" tube TV. Incredible picture when new but for what we paid for storage could have bought a nice new LCD.

We still laugh about it
Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Check out www.rtings.com/tv. Engineers will love the site. In depth evaluations and comparisons of new tv's.
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #19

Saw LG's new Signature flush mount 77" OLED last week. Wow. We have their 65" OLED and it is spectacular. I need a pivoting mount so the flush mount is not an option but it is amazing. Flush on the wall and only 1/8" thick. And viewable from every angle. Soon it will be wall size flat panels and you can have any view you want.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I meant 4K TV. Lost internet connection and couldn’t edit to correct in time.