Anyone watching History Channel's "Alone" this year?

Also think Jordan has to be the favorite. I really did not think Barry looked that thin when he raised his shirt during that last checkup. Seems like there is room for a fair amount of subjectivity on pulling contestants for health reasons?

Also think Jordan has to be the favorite. I really did not think Barry looked that thin when he raised his shirt during that last checkup. Seems like there is room for a fair amount of subjectivity on pulling contestants for health reasons?

I think they probably have a few criteria they use, one of them being percentage of body weight lost since the first day. I think Barry had lost 25% of his starting weight, and that may have been enough to get him pulled. But yeah, some subjectivity has to be involved also.

Betting on Jordan.. He is damn resourceful and lucky... What a brutal show to be second place!!

. What a brutal show to be second place!!

Yeah, no kidding. From the sounds of it, none of the final four have much money, and all were counting on winning the big $500K prize to change their lives. To go through 70+ days of this and come out of it with nothing has to be devastating.

You obviously never camped in the wild, have you. :LOL:

Bears will come in tents for toothpaste tubes, meat smell on your clothes....

I have camped in tents in the wild.

They are into winter, bears should be hibernating.
they need to pee around the perimeter mark their territory.

I Glamp now, getting too old for that primitive stuff.

OK, folks, the final episode is coming up next week. Three contestants left - Nathan, Woniya, Jordan. Jordan still seems to be the favorite to win it, at least in my opinion. He made an impressive gill net out of paracord, and managed to set it under the ice to catch a nice lake trout........pretty smart. Woniya is catching a few squirrels to eat, but she's losing 1.5 pounds daily, and I think they may pull her out on the next med. check (as they just did with Barry last week). Nathan also made a gill net, but hasn't caught anything with it yet, and I don't think he has eaten much for some time now. He does not look good.

Conditions are getting pretty brutal. Someone apparently goes out on a stretcher this week.........maybe Nathan? Woniya may then get pulled for medical reasons? Jordan wins it. That's my guess........only a guess.

This season has been interesting to me because the last 4 or so contestants are all fairly skilled and all mentally tough. Any of the last 4 could have probably won it on a different season, I think.

Any other opinions?

gill nets should have been made early in the show, the fish resources seem to be good and no one seem to be relying on them, build a fish shack and drop a line in the water.

Woniya was not my first pick ( hippy chick from ca) but she seem resourceful and if she can get past medical check has a good chance.

its Jordan season to lose.

still think they built crappy shelters its showing now.

gill nets should have been made early in the show, the fish resources seem to be good and no one seem to be relying on them, build a fish shack and drop a line in the water.

Definitely agree with you about that. I think Nathan has been using a gill net for quite a while, but he's the only one that built one early on (or maybe he brought one with him, as one of his 10 items?). Had Jordan done the same thing, he would have been catching more fish (to supplement his moose meat), and would be winning this thing easily.

Do you think that the next season many will change strategy based on this season? It appears like if fishing is possible maximum effort with gill nets? and Multiple snares ?

Do you think that the next season many will change strategy based on this season? It appears like if fishing is possible maximum effort with gill nets? and Multiple snares ?

I think some of it depends on what location they take them to. As I recall, when they were on Vancouver Island a few years back, some of the contestants used gill nets, but the huge daily tidal fluctuation ended up destroying most of the nets after a while, or rendering them useless. But in general, yes, I think a gill net is a good idea in many places, since they are always on a body of water that has fish. Hook and line fishing has worked at times for some contestants (and I would definitely bring those), but you end up spending a lot of time trying to catch a fish that way (and bait is not always easy to come by, either). With a gill net, you set it and then go do other chores, and come back to check the net later. Much more efficient use of time and energy.

I don't know how much time each contestant has to select their 10 items after the are told they are on the show? But assuming it is at least a few weeks, I think it would be super important to do as much research as possible on that location, so you can select items that will be most useful. I recall that on Vancouver Island, a bow and arrows were pretty useless........vegetation was way too thick to hunt game with a bow there, since just about any animal would hear you plowing through the brush long before you ever got a glimpse of it. There was just no way to walk through rough terrain and thick vegetation like that without risking injury and rapidly draining your energy, too. This season (and in Patagonia, as I recall), the terrain is much easier to walk through, so hunting is a more realistic option.

Snares seem to work most everywhere, and again, you can set them and come back later, so very efficient. I would probably bring snares wherever they chose as a location.

Well, I think the most deserving contestant won. I think Jordan was prepared to stay another couple weeks or so, if he had to. Woniya gave it her best, but she was starving to death, and she knew it. Nathan lost his shelter to fire and had to go home quickly. Very unfortunate, but in the long run, I don't think he would have beat Jordan anyway.

I enjoyed the show this season. Jordan is one tough and resourceful guy.
Probably one of the strongest contestants they have had on the show, in any season.

I thought she would pull it out up until she could not make a hole in the ice, should have had an ax.

Moose dude pretty much had it after killing the moose, he did some dumd stuff to keep loising fat / food alot could have been editing drama too.

Ok season the editing has changed since the first one, shoeing too much whining / drama not enough doing and surviving and making stuff.

Yep, I don't understand why Wonita did not choose to bring an axe as one of her 10 items.......that is something virtually all contestants choose to bring. No way to chop a hole through 8" of ice with a machete.

Jordan did make some mistakes along the way.......not protecting his moose fat and fish from predators better, leaving his ladder up on his elevated food storage platform, etc.. But overall, I think he did pretty well. I think he had more survival skills than any of the others, which is what got him to the end. He deserved to win.

Usually they have one more episode where they bring back the final 4 contestants to talk about their experience........I wonder if they are going to do that again this year?

Back
Top Bottom