Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ars Technica has a good summary of the changes to iTunes.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...dows-and-more/

Quote:
After much speculation and fanfare in the press, Apple confirmed today that it will sunset iTunes in the next version of macOS and spin its functionality into three new apps—Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV.

Apple Music in macOS Catalina will import users' existing music libraries from iTunes in their entirety, Apple says. That includes not just music purchased on iTunes, but rips from CDs, MP3s, and the like added from other sources.

Apple already explained during the keynote that syncing with and managing your iOS devices from your Mac—which used to be an iTunes task—will now happen within Finder

...but the company didn't specify onstage what will happen to the same program in Windows. The answer, it turns out, is not much. Apple says users of iTunes under Microsoft Windows will not see any changes.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^ Thanks. For Windows iTunes users (like me), here's a little more from the link:
Quote:
Apple says users of iTunes under Microsoft Windows will not see any changes. It won't be broken up into several apps; it will work just like it does now. However, Apple did not provide any clarification about what support will be like for future features. The company simply says that Windows users will continue to have the same experience as before and that it is not announcing any plans to end support for iTunes in Windows.

But keep in mind: that only means for now. Apple might one day bring an Apple Music application to Windows just as it has to Android. But just as the iTunes era seems to be ending for the Mac, it will continue for the immediately foreseeable future in Windows—so iTunes is not really dead. At least not yet.
Nice to know I will still be able to manage/backup my iPad and iPhone on my PC.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have Apple Music that I’ve used to download some music and have maybe a few hundred songs on iTunes. Lately I’ve been looking for something smaller than my iPhone to play music while running. Apple doesn’t make the iPod nano anymore. Hopefully there will be something small out there that will work easily with Apple music
How about using the Apple Watch with Airpods? I don't use any music while running preferring to listen for the creatures in the park. But I'm considering the Airpods for the gym.

If you don't have an Apple Watch, it's a real winner for runners. Accurate pacing and distance because it uses GPS. Plus it has an emergency fall detection. The other day I fell on my tush while walking down a steep slope. Not hurt but the watch asked me if I was OK and whether to send an SOS. Really works.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

So my aging Mac which will not run the new OS will still be using iTunes to manage my modest music library. OK. I can live with that.

Now, Apple, when will you get serious about updating the Mac, not the expensive pro version, but the one 'for the rest of us'?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
Arrgghh! I still have an iTunes gift card around somewhere...will I still be able to use it?
Me
+1
Me too, I never used it as don't have Mac stuff, and new music doesn't impress me much.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I like your thinking!!! My iMac is about 6 yo, and I have been wondering when it will be time to get a new system, although this still one is still very solid. Agree that those SSD prices are expensive and hopefully will come down soon.

Mac lover here. Still rockin' 2010 Mac Pro laptop and desk tops. Apple likes to see itself as cutting edge, but the really lagged in SSD rollout and pricing. They should have stopped spinning drives as primary storage years ago.

I was shocked when a friend bought a 6-ish yo iMac and it came standard with a spinning drive. It drove like a real dog a month out of the box! He didn't realize he needed to upgrade to an SSD or at least hybrid/fusion drive for that "premium" user experience. Many folks buy Apple because, well, it's just supposed to w*rk!

My OS is only 1 year behind. I think I can run the current OS and even the next one due to a video card upgrade on the 2010 tower, but I'm afraid my ancient application software will protest.

Oh, I can't stand the iTunes software either. Just hope there's a reasonable migration path to something better, or at least different.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
Arrgghh! I still have an iTunes gift card around somewhere...will I still be able to use it?
Me
Could you be conflating the iTunes store with the iTunes app? They're changing the app you'll use to listen to music or watch video, but I can't imagine they would invalidate gift card balances.

OTOH, I'd go ahead and apply the gift card balance to credit my account online so I wouldn't have to worry about losing the physical card.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

No problems with iTunes gift cards as they are good for anything bought through the Apple App Store (but not the Apple Store)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #29

A more detailed description of the changes from Apple:

About the upcoming changes with iTunes on Mac
Old 06-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Now, Apple, when will you get serious about updating the Mac, not the expensive pro version, but the one 'for the rest of us'?
Since the Mac (desktop) is probably about 1.5% of sales, it's no wonder they aren't devoting much effort to them - shareholders would agree? Macs are only about 8% of sales, and laptops are about 80% of Mac sales - not a lot of desktops. There's also been a trend with many YouTube content creators migrating from Macs to PCs, not a good trend.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

A lot of people use a MacBook (laptop) with an external display as their “desktop”. The setup provides mobility.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #32

Last time I bought music on iTunes was about 2.5 years ago.
Ordered approximately 30 songs. This triggered 7 different transactions on my credit card. Literally minutes later, my credit card company called me & reported suspicious activity.

That's the last time I ever used it.
I still get all the music I want, I just go about it in a different way
Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
How about using the Apple Watch with Airpods? I don't use any music while running preferring to listen for the creatures in the park. But I'm considering the Airpods for the gym.
The Watch already works well for playing music with no iPhone around.

If you subscribe to the Apple Music service you can play anything if you have the LTE option. Otherwise, you can sync music from your iPhone to your watch.

To play from the watch to AirPods you just tap the Airplay button and connect to the AirPods. I used it with my BeatsX wireless wireless earphones (the AirPods fall out of my ears, but the BeatsX don't).
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote