Join Early Retirement Today

Apple ending iTunes
Old 06-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Administrator

Apple ending iTunes

Announced in the developer conference today, Apple is breaking iTunes into three apps - Music, TV, and Podcasts. Many links, here's one https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apple-i...ay-2019-06-03/
Quote:
Apple confirmed the end of an era on Monday — no more iTunes. The music store available for years on iPods and iPhones has been overshadowed by streaming services, like the company's own Apple Music, and it will soon be phased out, Apple announced at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday.

The new MacOS Catalina will have an iTunes replacement simply called Music, CNET reports. A new Podcast and Apple TV app with updated features will also be rolled out.
I've always found iTunes to be clunky and not nearly as intuitive as other Apple apps, so this may be good.

There's also an announcement that Apple will improve the Maps app. Good - the Google needs some competition.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It will be interesting to see what they do. I usually use Spotify, but still have close to 150GBs of music and audiobooks in my iTunes library and donít want to lose it.

Re Apple Maps, I like the look, but it really is a second class app compared to Google Maps.

CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried AppleMusic and it was OK, except that every time they updated the OS on the phone, I had to relearn how the app worked. And a few times my music libraries disappeared. About the 3rd time they did that to me I said the heck with this nonsense. Now I'm using the pay version of Pandora. Not everything I'd want, but more user friendly IMO.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Apple ending iTunes
Old 06-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

Apple ending iTunes

Apple opened up the software interface that allows other vendors to tap into iTunes libraries (e.g., Bose SoundTouch wifi speakers). I hope any migration away from iTunes is seamless and very well implemented!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I must be ahead of the curve - - I never use iTunes any more. Good! This will give me an excuse to get it off my laptop.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me I tunes is something that while I have used some very confusing at times. I am a Spotify user.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Will the new apps that replace iTunes work on older computers that can't run the current and new OS? My old 2011 Mac wants to know.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #8

I use iTunes on my Win10 machine. Wondering what will happen there. I don’t think an Apple App is going to work on a Win machine. Guess I better get my library backed up at the folder level so I don’t have any problems.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've always found iTunes to be clunky and not nearly as intuitive as other Apple apps, so this may be good.
Iíve found it clunky too, but Iíve been using it since the early iPod days, so it still makes sense to me. But I almost never use it to listen to music on my PC, so as long as I can still back up my iPad and iPhone itís good with me. If they force me to backup to the cloud...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Arrgghh! I still have an iTunes gift card around somewhere...will I still be able to use it?
Me
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:23 AM   #11

Iím not sure this deserves a separate thread but lists of devices compatible with iOS 13 are out. From macrumors:

Quote:
Contrary to multiple rumors that circulated ahead of when iOS 13 was announced, the new operating system is indeed compatible with many older iPhones, including the iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are not supported.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03...tible-devices/

Old 06-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have Apple Music that Iíve used to download some music and have maybe a few hundred songs on iTunes. Lately Iíve been looking for something smaller than my iPhone to play music while running. Apple doesnít make the iPod nano anymore. Hopefully there will be something small out there that will work easily with Apple music
Old 06-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #13

I've been using iTunes for years (but only occasionally) and absolutely dread navigating the convoluted interface. So for me, I'd like to see something new.

Hard to believe they could make it worse!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Hard to believe they could make it worse!
Eeks, I stopped saying that many years ago when life taught me things can always get worse.

The one use I do get from iTunes (windows desktop) is backing up our other Apple devices.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The one use I do get from iTunes (windows desktop) is backing up our other Apple devices.
Me too.

I’ve looked online several times to no avail. Has anyone seen how backups will be handled once Music, Movies and TV replace iTunes? I hope there’s still a local HD backup option, and we’re not forced onto the cloud.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #16

The MacOS Catalina release is one Iíll wait to install until after release and user feedback/reviews start coming (I installed Mojave right away).

Two of my mobile devices arenít compatible with iOS 13 so theyíll remain at 12.

To me, iTunes had too much under its umbrella so in the long run splitting it up is a good step. I hope.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Me too.Iíve looked online several times to no avail. Has anyone seen how backups will be handled once Music, Movies and TV replace iTunes? I hope thereís still a local HD backup option, and weíre not forced onto the cloud.

Yes, thatís my main use. Critical iOS device backups and restore from backups when migrating to a new device. Time machine then backs up the Mac so Iíve got additional backups.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

According to a more recent announcement, iTunes on Windows will not be affected.
Quote:
Those who use iTunes on a PC to manage their devices, listen to music, and make iTunes purchases will be able to continue to do so.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've been doing a bit of reading of the changes Apple is making to how their various products communicate and work with each other. This is one of the more positive changes I have seen at Apple in a while.

I like the idea of an OS for the iPad that is not burdened by having to work on the smaller iPhone also. And the ability to use the iPad with the Mac could easily prove to be a shot in the arm for both products.

They still need to update their Macs, IMHO. For starters, bigger SSD drives for the same or less money would be nice. Apple needs to realize that the days of having to pay a huge premium to get an SSD drive are over.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
They still need to update their Macs, IMHO. For starters, bigger SSD drives for the same or less money would be nice. Apple needs to realize that the days of having to pay a huge premium to get an SSD drive are over.
I like your thinking!!! My iMac is about 6 yo, and I have been wondering when it will be time to get a new system, although this still one is still very solid. Agree that those SSD prices are expensive and hopefully will come down soon.