Join Early Retirement Today

Apple TV+
Old 10-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple TV+

NBR mentioned that Apple TV+ is coming online in November and I recall that Iím supposed to get a free year, having purchased an iPad. I havenít received any information about AppleTV+ so far.

I donít even know if I should care. There seem to be a lot of TV watchers (streaming or otherwise) here. Is there anything to get excited about?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

I, too, am waiting to hear about my free year since I bought two iPhones recently. There are several Apple original series I think I will like, but otherwise I'm not sure what's in store. The recent updates to iOS/iPadOS/TVOS/Mac OS-X Catalina may have contained updates to support the new service, but Apple ain't sayin'.

GalaxyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

From what I can tell, I too will qualify for the 1 year of free Apple TV+, as well as the year of free Disney basic tier from my Verizon Unlimited account. I’ve been thinking of taking advantage of both of these offers and taking a break from Netflix - which hasn’t had a lot of new stuff that really grabbed me. Competition is good...
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Here is a pretty good guide to Apple TV+:

Apple TV+: Everything We Know
Old 10-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Apple TV+

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here is a pretty good guide to Apple TV+:

Thanks for the link! I just added the Apple TV channel to my Roku, signed in with my Apple ID and password (yet another device has it) and took a look around.

Now to see if anything happens tomorrow...

Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For anyone getting it for “free” - just watch and decide if you want to subscribe. Very clever of Apple to “give” a bunch of current buyers TV+ for free. Gives them a very large installed base on day one for ratings on their content, viewing data, etc., unlike so many that have to build subscribers organically.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m skeptical about the Apple programming as they have a major constraint of family friendly plus they threw a lot of money at big names which doesn’t necessarily translate to god programming. But we’ll see.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #8

When I tapped on Apple TV on my iTouch this morning I got a new little popup announcing an offer of Apple TV+: 1 year free, $4.99/mo thereafter. So there it is.

I havenít watched anything, poured another cuppa joe instead.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I just activated my Apple TV + offer this AM. Initially, it didn’t “take”, so I had to sign out / sign back in to my Apple Store account, but then it worked. While not exactly overflowing with content, there appear to be a few interesting series/offerings. Will watch with DS tonight and see if this is a “Netflix killer”...
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #10

I activated the one year free offer. I noticed that it shows up as a subscription on your account with an auto-renew at $4.99/mo.

It looks like my subscription payments have defaulted to my still-unused Apple Card. I only had one prior subscription on the Apple Store previously (an app unrelated to entertainment/streaming).

My understanding is that if you cancel the subscription early you lose access at cancel time, not at the end of the trial year (Iím not totally sure about that).

Old 11-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #11

In! Five things I have any interest in, but oh well...

Life's too short to waste time on the internet...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote