Join Early Retirement Today

Apple watch discount
Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

Apple watch discount

Since the Apple Watch is frequently mentioned here, this might be of general interest.

B&H Photo is selling the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular for as little as $269.

DW and I have the Series 2 (before they included cellular) and we love them. This is the best discount I've ever seen, so if you don't need the latest tweaks (fall detection, etc.) then it looks like a good deal.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
Administrator

That does look like a good price. DD just replaced her older Apple Watch with a Garmin because of the price, this isn’t going to make her happy.

So far I haven’t bought; I haven’t worn a watch in decades and even when I worked didn’t like one on my wrist. Maybe I’ll skip a technology generation and go directly to an implant.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Maybe I’ll skip a technology generation and go directly to an implant.
I am waiting until I can close one eye and have a heads up display on the inside of my eye lid LOL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am keeping an eye on these. I use some Apple products but not really a fanboy. I am interested primarily because I've heard several examples of them being able to provide "early warning" for heart problems that could become serious or fatal if left untreated.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That does look like a good price. DD just replaced her older Apple Watch with a Garmin because of the price, this isn’t going to make her happy.

So far I haven’t bought; I haven’t worn a watch in decades and even when I worked didn’t like one on my wrist. Maybe I’ll skip a technology generation and go directly to an implant.
I had a Garmin Vivofit. This was pretty basic with no GPS.

I just bought an Apple Watch series 4 last week. Very impressive. Really accurate as I took it to the track. Makes me very aware of my pulse rate when running. Has a great way to show activity.

I have paired it with some apps like the cool but simple Due app for reminders. Now I get a wrist buzz when I have a reminder and I can easily bump the reminder up an hour too.

I fell about 1 month ago in the park running (lots of rocks) and took a hard fall on the rib cage. That was a wake up call. Now DW can contact me since i don't run with a phone. Has a nice SOS signal too.

Several other useful features.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

This is a good price for the series 3 42mm w/cell. I picked up the series 3 42 mm w/o cell for $240 on a Black Friday deal. $30 more for the cell version is worth it (although I have felt no disappointment in not having the cell option, especially given the ongoing monthly $ if I were to have a cell version activated).

One thing good about the cell version is that it is capable of 911 calls even with out a cell plan.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I am keeping an eye on these. I use some Apple products but not really a fanboy. […]
I have become more and more disgusted with Apple in recent years, because of what I perceive is much higher, and in fact insanely high prices for some iPhones. The idea of spending over $1,000 for a cell phone makes me no matter how many thousand bells and whistles they add to it. Although I still use my iPad, I stopped using iPhones at all and I am reluctant to purchase further Apple products. This is probably a really good price for an Apple watch, but I guess an Apple watch just is not on my shopping list.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I’ve found the best prices for Apple products are at Costco and are advertised in store only. I picked up my last two iPads, the prior years’ model, for in the low $200’s.

And for what it’s worth, I love my Apple Watch.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Apple watch discount
Old 04-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Apple watch discount

Apple obviously charges for their products what the market will bear.

That said I am “all-in” the Apple ecosphere. I never would have believed I would leave PCs for Apple, but I have been all Apple since 2012 when I bought my MacBook Pro.

The thing I like about their products, aside from the fact that they simply always work, is how everything flows seamlessly together between all my devices.

My MacBook Pro is about 7 years old and keeps running like a champ. I did upgrade my RAM a year or so ago to keep up with the changing software.

It has easily outlasted my last two, possibly three, PC laptops combined.

And yes I have an Apple Watch as well. It was a gift, otherwise I don’t think I would have bought it for myself. That said however it amazing how much it’s grown on me...
Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have become more and more disgusted with Apple in recent years, because of what I perceive is much higher, and in fact insanely high prices for some iPhones. The idea of spending over $1,000 for a cell phone makes me no matter how many thousand bells and whistles they add to it. Although I still use my iPad, I stopped using iPhones at all and I am reluctant to purchase further Apple products. This is probably a really good price for an Apple watch, but I guess an Apple watch just is not on my shopping list.
Apple sells less expensive phones. I find it interesting when people feel angry because Apple sells their fanciest phones at a high price. Nobody is obligated to buy it. It’s a luxury item.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I always bought PC's because of the Apple Mac pricing. I avoided the iPhone because of the pricing and thought the watch was unnecessary for me.

Last November after a bad experience with a Google phone I bought a new iPhone XR for $750. For the quality I would say it is worth it. Now Google has a problem I think as their Pixel 3 was priced too high.

The Apple watch series 4 was pricey but I could find nothing to touch it's capabilities. And it works very well with the iPhone. I'm very much into fitness so it fulfills a health/fitness "want" for me. And what the heck, the stock market is up so I bought the watch.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Apple sells less expensive phones. I find it interesting when people feel angry because Apple sells their fanciest phones at a high price. Nobody is obligated to buy it. It’s a luxury item.
EXACTLY!!! That's my point. I am not obligated to buy it or any other overpriced phone from any company that I feel charges stupidly high prices for their phones, and I won't. That's my privilege and nobody can tell me there is one single thing wrong with exercising that privilege.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

But W2R, you are making so much in the stock market. What are you going to buy if it's not an Apple product?
Old 04-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
But W2R, you are making so much in the stock market. What are you going to buy if it's not an Apple product?
I dunno. Hopefully I would find something out there that feel like spending money on.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Can anyone name a product more loved and hated at the same time than Apple?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #16

Long time Apple fan, but I do think that the company has lost much of it's ability to innovate since Jobs passed and Cook took over. Did get 2 XRs for DW and me during a BOGO deal right before I ER'd, so that we could move to the T-Mobile 55 and over plan and save some pretty significant dough every month on service (over AT&T). That said, the XR while "nice" isn't that big of an improvement over my iPhone 6 or DW's 5, and we both miss the smaller form factors of the old phones we had.

Back to the watch - I seriously thought about buying a Series 4 about a week ago - primarily for fitness tracking as I was getting tired of lugging my phone around to track my Polar H10 HRM strap. Wound up buying a Polar M430 instead for $150'ish over $499 for a S4 w/Cellular or $399 w/o Cellular, as it's (from my research at least) a better product if fitness tracking is the main use case/need..that, and I'm an "old retired guy" now so have to watch my pennies! The other thing about the Apple Watch that really made me hesitate is reported battery life and needing to charge it pretty much daily/every other day. That, and the lack of any kind of sleep tracking - at least currently.

Still, at ~2X the cost of my Polar M430 the S3 @ B&H does look like a pretty good deal..but I can't really think of much I'd do with it aside from fitness tracking, and for that the M430 is a pretty good product. Plus, the battery lasts pretty much all week, and it does basic sleep tracking - both advantages over the S3/S4 so far..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I’ve had a Fitbit Versa for about 8 months now. It provides the basics of what I want in a wrist watch (quick glance at the wrist to check time) plus activity and sleep statistics, including sleep stage scoring.

I don’t know how long it will last but if it turns out to be not long I’ll take another look at alternatives including Apple Watch.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Can anyone name a product more loved and hated at the same time than Apple?
Tesla's.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I’ve had a Fitbit Versa for about 8 months now. It provides the basics of what I want in a wrist watch (quick glance at the wrist to check time) plus activity and sleep statistics, including sleep stage scoring.

I don’t know how long it will last but if it turns out to be not long I’ll take another look at alternatives including Apple Watch.
That is a nice watch. My son got me one for my birthday but it had a defect with the band.

That is when I realized I needed a watch that has emergency calling for running in remote areas. Also I like the GPS because it is very accurate. If I could run with my phone I guess the watch would be unnecessary.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This is true, but it's rather telling that the prices they promote now are "with trade-in", and without a trade-in they sell for a lot more. The cheapest model does sell for $449 without a trade-in, but it's a couple generations old and may not be getting updates and security fixes for much longer as a result.

And the prices they quote with trade-in are "as low as" $X, meaning that unless you are trading in a phone that is still powerful and marketable you'll probably pay more than $X, since the quoted trade-in prices seem to be $200-250 less than the prices with no trade-in. So you can get $200 or more off... if you already have a phone that doesn't need to be replaced!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote