Join Early Retirement Today

AT&T Wireless Internet or Spectrum
Old 06-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AT&T Wireless Internet or Spectrum

The other thread on in internet caused me to look at other alternatives.... which I had in mind to do anyway.

Currently with local phone company DSL... 7 mbps for $64/month... we have had this for years and it meets our modest needs but the cost has crept up. They generously offered to upgrade me to 25 mbps for $55/month for first 12 months and $67/month after that.... but they offer the same service to new customers for $40/month.

Only other traditional option in our rural area is Spectrum cable internet. $65/month for 100 mbps... they supply the modem but I will use my existing wi-fi router. $50 one-time installation fee. $20/month promotional credit for first 12 months so a net of $45/month for the first 12 months.

The other possible option is AT&T Wireless Internet using their 4G network and a hotspot that I would plug my wi-fi router into. 10-14 mbps speed. $40/month for up to 50GB of data (I don't think we would exceed 50GB, but if we did 100GB woud be $80/month). Plus either $200 up front for the hotspot or $10/month for 20 months.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards Spectrum... $20/month less for the first 12 months and ultimate cost is the same as what we currently pay and speeds are blazing. If money was a factor (it isn't) then I might lean towards AT&T. but I'm not sure that the speed would be acceptable.

Does anyone have experience with AT&T Wireless Internet?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I hate AT&T so I would go with Spectrum....

You would be surprised how even simple things improve with speed...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We used to have 30 mbps and went to 10 mbps when switching to comcast for $19/mo.
Everything works just fine.
We only noticed it slowed down once when I was downloading 3 separate ISO's each of a few gigs size at the same time as doing intensive 20 tab browsing.

So I find 10 mbps is fast enough.

OP - Given your choices I'd go with Spectrum, and next year you can take the phone company DSL offer of $40/month since you would be a new customer.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I was you I would do Spectrum. In a year if they won't do something I liked I would go back and get DSL as a new customer. Personally I couldn't tolerate the low speed of DSL (yes, I've tried it).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have Spectrum cable, internet only. It was Time Warner when we got it, a little over three years ago.

It started at $55, next year went to $65, then $80, now $85. So you have to be aware of the rate creep.

When we moved here, I went with this because the only other option was DSL, which we had at our previous home and hated. That is still the case.

Service is excellent; we rarely get an outage and then it's a very short time.

Speed is excellent; we have the "Extreme" level and it routinely tests at around 225 down, 25 up.

I used my own modem (they publish the brands that meet specs on their website) which is an Arris. That connects to my own wifi router.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind there is rate creep with all providers. I would opt for Spectrum for the bandwidth if it was me.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - if you do go with spectrum, check to see but I'm sure they are going to rent to you the modem and frankly you can buy one cheaper than a year's rent, then you have it or could even sell it later as used.
Spectrum will have a list of compatible modems.

You might even want to keep the modem as every odd year you flip back to Spectrum for a better deal or bargaining position.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
OP - if you do go with spectrum, check to see but I'm sure they are going to rent to you the modem and frankly you can buy one cheaper than a year's rent, then you have it or could even sell it later as used.
Spectrum will have a list of compatible modems.

You might even want to keep the modem as every odd year you flip back to Spectrum for a better deal or bargaining position.
A cable modem was included in the $45/$65/month. While there was an option to use your own modem if you wanted, it doesn't change the price.

At our winter condo, there is a $10/month modem rental, but we bought our own and avoid the $10/month cost.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As a followup.... I decided to change to Spectrum for internet.... it is scheduled to be installed next Friday... they could have done it earlier but I had some scheduling conflicts. It's going to be 5x faster for the same money after the promotional credits expire and I'll save $240 with the promotional credits in the first year.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Spectrum installed on Monday.... I had to reschedue from tomorrow due to conflicts. Initially was slow (30 mbps).... but I replaced the router today, upgraded the router softwre and just ran a speedtest... 115.2 mbps down and 11.6 up. This is fun!