Join Early Retirement Today

Cancel internet and sign up again as new customer?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cancel internet and sign up again as new customer?

I'm in an area where I only have one ISP available to me (Spectrum). They keep jacking up the rates and I am currently paying $70 per month for internet service only (no phone or cable). I called them up to see if there was anything they could do but had no luck. I asked about cancelling service and then signing up as a new customer for a special deal, and what the rep told me was that to qualify as a new customer then I had to have not had Spectrum service for at least 30 days.

So I was contemplating cancelling the service and managing for 30 days with a phone hotspot and then signing up again, which should save $20 or $25 per month. Does seem like a lot of hassle though. Anybody else done something similar or is there another way around this?

Roll on 5G...

Thanks

Rod
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

I know people who do this cancel/start new at the end of each year when their new customer discount expires (why aren't long term customers valued the same?).

The secret they said is they have a second cable modem (about $50-60) that the new account name holder (spouse) uses for service. The MAC address on the cable modem shows different, so the "different" account can be created.

Just an idea.
kskmfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In our area the ISPs seem to follow a 6 month lapse rule for service in your name before you count as a new customer. So my husband and I either switch out ISPs or if we stay with the same ISP just switch off who has the account every year.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trirod View Post
I'm in an area where I only have one ISP available to me (Spectrum). They keep jacking up the rates and I am currently paying $70 per month for internet service only (no phone or cable). I called them up to see if there was anything they could do but had no luck. I asked about cancelling service and then signing up as a new customer for a special deal, and what the rep told me was that to qualify as a new customer then I had to have not had Spectrum service for at least 30 days.

So I was contemplating cancelling the service and managing for 30 days with a phone hotspot and then signing up again, which should save $20 or $25 per month. Does seem like a lot of hassle though. Anybody else done something similar or is there another way around this?

Roll on 5G...

Thanks

Rod
I think about doing that every day but I could not live without the real internet for a month, since most of my TV is streaming all day and evening I'm paying $70 as well and they're not as easy to get a deal from as they used to be. I recently came off of a deal that they gave me a 10 monthly discount for a year a since I complained that when they increased their speed in the area they never increased mine so I was paying the same for less than my neighbors for a few months which was true. Tried to get a new deal recently and did not get anywhere. I plan to cancel it when I take a trip to qualify for a new customer deal. Good luck and I'd love to know how if goes if you do try the Hotspot experiment.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Spectrum also. I am planning to cancel mine for the 30 days the next time I go on a long vacation to minimize the inconvenience.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That's interesting. I moved to Spectrum about 18 months ago and paid a promotional rate of $45/month for 12 months, then it went up to $65/month... I paid that for a few months and then called and said that $65/month was too expensive and asked if they had a lower level of service that could reduce my monthly fee... the CSR offered me a $10/month discount to $55/month and I accepted it.

If they hadn't, I might have played the quit, wait 30 days and then re-up game or gone back to DSL or Mi-Fi for a while and then go back to Spectrum.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

I ask for the retention department. They're the ones who can help you negotiate a discount. Right now, we're saving $10 per month. Seriously, the ease of this depends on the helpfulness of the first customer service rep who picks up the phone. I've been doing this for years. Earlier this year, the rep wanted to know why I wanted the retention department. First time I was ever asked that.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That's interesting. I moved to Spectrum about 18 months ago and paid a promotional rate of $45/month for 12 months, then it went up to $65/month... I paid that for a few months and then called and said that $65/month was too expensive and asked if they had a lower level of service that could reduce my monthly fee... the CSR offered me a $10/month discount to $55/month and I accepted it.

If they hadn't, I might have played the quit, wait 30 days and then re-up game or gone back to DSL or Mi-Fi for a while and then go back to Spectrum.
In the same situation.
We moved this past April, so started fresh at 45 pm with Spectrum. Was wondering what to do when it goes back to 65 pm.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I find these introductory rate games to be awfully confusing and time consuming. So, I just don't participate. Consequently I am paying $83.99/month for internet only.

"There's a sucker born every minute", like me.

All I can say about that is, uh, Blow That Dough?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I find these introductory rate games to be awfully confusing and time consuming. So, I just don't participate. Consequently I am paying $83.99/month for internet only.

"There's a sucker born every minute", like me.

All I can say about that is, uh, Blow That Dough?
Might be a decent price depending on what bandwidth, speed and data cap you have. Hope so.

Where I am AT&T 300/300 Mbps fiber with a 1TB cap is $80/mo after the first year promo expires, even with “competition” from Spectrum.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

One way to save. For internet only users. Opt for the "slowest" down load speed.
Was very surprised 15 mb is plenty for viewing videos and email.
Have Xfinity (Comcast), here in San Francisco Bay area.
Also, hooking up an Ethernet cable from router to your lap top, gives you a faster down load speed, than using "over the air". (which still works fine, just a little slower).

Many people switch back and forth each year from, AT&T to Xfinity, to get the new customer promo's.
wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #12

I used to routinely call up and see what the new customer rate was, and then get it. I live in a city with 2+ options. The last time Cox didn’t seem to care. But I was cutting cable tv, anyhow. Now I have Verizon Fios for about $80/month. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and then subscribe to other services for a month or two. Right now it’s Hulu, I felt a need for CNN.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
One way to save. For internet only users. Opt for the "slowest" down load speed.
Also, hooking up an Ethernet cable from router to your lap top, gives you a faster down load speed, than using "over the air". (which still works fine, just a little slower).

Many people switch back and forth each year from, AT&T to Xfinity, to get the new customer promo's.
^^^ Yes, we did that when we returned to our winter condo and restarted our Xfinity internet service. I asked what levels of service they offered and the rep said 100 mbps for $40/month or 25 mbps for $30/month. While we do currently have 100 mbps at home we previously had 15 mbps DSL and that speed met our needs... so I decided to go with the 25 mbps level knowing that I could always upgrade if it was too slow... its been a few weeks now and 25 mbps is fine we do a fair amount of streaming... and we're saving $10/month or 25% on internet service.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
Administrator

Moved the thread to technology and media forum. Helps filter search in the future.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
^^^ Yes, we did that when we returned to our winter condo and restarted our Xfinity internet service. I asked what levels of service they offered and the rep said 100 mbps for $40/month or 25 mbps for $30/month. While we do currently have 100 mbps at home we previously had 15 mbps DSL and that speed met our needs... so I decided to go with the 25 mbps level knowing that I could always upgrade if it was too slow... its been a few weeks now and 25 mbps is fine we do a fair amount of streaming... and we're saving $10/month or 25% on internet service.
+2. We had 25 Mbps XFinity where we last lived, and it was all we needed for two simultaneous PS Vue TV streams and an iPad or two. Zero issues.

Now we have 300 Mbps AT&T fiber, and if anything we have more issues, the added speed has been worthless (to my utter surprise). When the promo ends, we’ll be downgrading to 100 Mbps or less, no way I’m paying the full rate for fiber - zero added value for us.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #16

Lol, yesterday I called Spectrum about the exact same thing (that my rate had gone to $70.) If there are competing services in your area with better pricing, for suggest doing this:

1. Call Spectrum
2. When the automated voice asks why you’re calling, scream “cancel my service.” (Those automated voice trees can now sense distress and will elevate your call status.
3. When you get to the cancellation person, be very pleasant and say,”I really like Spectrum by the price increase is a by much so I need to switch to [fill in the blank.]”. This will lead them to look up the offer online and if it’s legitimately competitive they’ll make you an offer.

I’ve done this 5-6 times successfully over the years.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #17

Whoops just noticed in your original note that you said there’s no competition in your neighborhood so please disregard my idea from last post.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Lol, yesterday I called Spectrum about the exact same thing (that my rate had gone to $70.) If there are competing services in your area with better pricing, for suggest doing this:

1. Call Spectrum
2. When the automated voice asks why you’re calling, scream “cancel my service.” (Those automated voice trees can now sense distress and will elevate your call status.
3. When you get to the cancellation person, be very pleasant and say,”I really like Spectrum by the price increase is a by much so I need to switch to [fill in the blank.]”. This will lead them to look up the offer online and if it’s legitimately competitive they’ll make you an offer.

I’ve done this 5-6 times successfully over the years.
Unfortunately I don't have any alternative provider here - other than satellite, which is more expensive for slower service.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #19

It can be difficult to negotiate a lower price if there are no local competitors, your current provider likely knows what other choices (if any) you have available at your address. Just went through this with my Cable Internet provider, while I was talking with them on the phone the rep read back to me the prices/speeds the other providers offered at my address. He said that information shows up on each users profile when speaking to a service rep.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trirod View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any alternative provider here - other than satellite, which is more expensive for slower service.
Is there cellphone service in your area? A friend uses Mi-Fi from Verizon... and he's pretty frugal so I think it is fairly affordable... I'm guessing ~$50/month.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/#connected