Join Early Retirement Today

Cell phone as Hot Spot
Old 08-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Cell phone as Hot Spot

Does anyone use their cell phone as a hotspot for their ipad or laptop computer. Not all cell phone companies allow it. Im trying to find one that does allow it since i would like a bigger data package, but only to use as a hotspot as well as for the cell phone.
Riley9221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Administrator

Yup - do it a lot. My carrier is ATT and I have an unlocked phone. I think that your carrier dictates what is allowed under a given plan and you may need to get one of the larger data plans. Shop around.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do, when up in my boondocks home or when traveling.

It could be slow like heck though, and unusable anyway.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All the time. Have MetroPCS (now called "Metro from T-Mobile") - it's included for free with the plan.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here is a list (a long one) of what is claimed to be all plans allowing tethering (hot spots) - provided you also have a qualifying phone. Hot Spot List
Old 08-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A problem I found with surfing the Web on a laptop or tablet through the phone is that many Web sites load up the screen with advertisement and videos. These junks clog down the link, and cost me mucho in bandwidth and rack up many GBs of data for nothing.

You also must be sure Windoz will not download updates while tethering through the phone. Severe pain and suffering would ensue otherwise.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Yes, I use my iPhone with T-Mobile as a hot spot for both my wife's phone, and for the iPad when flying the drone, to keep the Maps up to date! Works great, but not fast enough to connect a laptop.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #8

Yep, I use this with t-mobile all the time.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, use Cricket cell as hotspot and primary internet connection for my MacBook Air. I started the Cricket plan when full-time RVing and have just continued using as my everyday internet connection since that time. No issues at all in the last two years and only use wifi when visiting friends or staying in a hotel.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've set my Xfinity ( Verizon MVNO ) & sons Sprint phone as hotspot to give WiFi to a tablet or two. Works well. Especially when no other option.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley9221 View Post
Does anyone use their cell phone as a hotspot for their ipad or laptop computer. Not all cell phone companies allow it. Im trying to find one that does allow it since i would like a bigger data package, but only to use as a hotspot as well as for the cell phone.
My T-Mobile One Plus plan allows a nice fast hotspot.

Use it with my iPad when out and about, and with my laptop when needed when traveling.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We are on Google FI and have the hotspot option. Mostly we use it when our home DSL connection goes down, which seems to happen every couple of months for brief periods.

Googe Fi gives us free data-only SIM cards for our tablets, so it is really only the desktops that need to access the hotspot. Our Nexus 7 & 9 tablets use WiFi when available, otherwise cell data. I think Google will give up to five data-only SIMs for non-phone devices. & actually I have tried a data-only SIM in an old phone and it works fine though obviously not as a phone.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #13

I use it with my Sprint plan. It's included for free (I have no idea why - it's new this year). We are on an old grandfathered in Sprint plan so maybe that's why. I use it when travelling. Run my laptop and Kindle Fire. For me, there is no lag. It's just like being on the WiFi at home.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #14

If Sprint is good in your area, Tello has plans from $14 for 2GB to $39 for 12GB, with unlimited calls and text, no contract. 4G LTE tethering.
https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A problem I found with surfing the Web on a laptop or tablet through the phone is that many Web sites load up the screen with advertisement and videos. These junks clog down the link, and cost me mucho in bandwidth and rack up many GBs of data for nothing.

You also must be sure Windoz will not download updates while tethering through the phone. Severe pain and suffering would ensue otherwise.

Both these problems can be greatly reduced, if not completely eliminated!

#1 Use the Firefox browser and set Content Blocking to Strict. This alone will block most of the junk!

If you don't want to use Firefox, add the uBlock Origin extension to your browser of choice. It is lightweight and works very well.

Personally, I use uBlock Origin in conjunction with Firefox Strict Content Blocking and rarely see an ad or unwanted video. Just remember to whitelist any site you actually wish to support by allowing their ads!

#2 Windows 10 allows designating select network connections as "metered". Doing this will prevent Windows updates from downloading when using that connection (and I have found it blocks some other kinds of software updates as well).
Old 08-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
All the time. Have MetroPCS (now called "Metro from T-Mobile") - it's included for free with the plan.
Me too. Works pretty well. One month I was on it quite a bit and my data was bumping close to my limit (5GB) I try to scoop up the free WIFI but sometimes have to hotspot my chromebook.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #17

I do this with t-mobile when I'm travelling or our internet goes out. Or if the kids are both gaming/streaming/watching youtube all at the same time and our broadband pipe gets too slow.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewskers View Post
Both these problems can be greatly reduced, if not completely eliminated!

#1 Use the Firefox browser and set Content Blocking to Strict. This alone will block most of the junk!

If you don't want to use Firefox, add the uBlock Origin extension to your browser of choice. It is lightweight and works very well.

Personally, I use uBlock Origin in conjunction with Firefox Strict Content Blocking and rarely see an ad or unwanted video. Just remember to whitelist any site you actually wish to support by allowing their ads!

#2 Windows 10 allows designating select network connections as "metered". Doing this will prevent Windows updates from downloading when using that connection (and I have found it blocks some other kinds of software updates as well).
I knew about setting the connection to "metered", but have not run Firefox for a long time. Thx.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #19

I've done this a lot with T-Mobile while traveling, particularly on the Amtrak Northeast Corridor line. You would think all providers would love to have you use your phone as a hot spot, as those times I had to use it as such while traveling I often wound up purchasing additional data. As others have said, running an ad blocker keeps you from wasting data, as does letting Windows 10 know that it is a metered connection. We also purchased a Verizon hot spot a while back when we discovered that we didn't have T-Mobile coverage at a vacation cabin, and that worked really well, although it cost more than just add-on data on T-Mobile. (Which is fine, as my partner billed the data plan to their work anyway.)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #20

used to do it with our verizon phones and tablet. we now have a verizon jetpack device in a $65 p/m unlimited data plan (no longer available).
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone plan, hotspot