Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cloud Computing and Moving LARGE Volumes of Data
Old 07-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cloud Computing and Moving LARGE Volumes of Data

Came across the video that describes Amazon's way of helping large companies migrate vast amounts of data to the cloud. I thought is was fascinating and made me laugh as I spent a whole hour transferring 15 gigabites of info to the cloud this morning. The days of AOL dial up are long, long, over!

How much data, you ask? They talk in terms of exabytes which is the equivelent of 300 BILLION songs. How many is that? Well, if each song was 4:30 long, it would only take you 2,568,493 years (or about 33,000 generations) to listen to them all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/19/how-...-transfer.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice to see someone else in the cloud racket :-)

As an old timer, I recall this wonderful quote from Andrew Tanenbaum (of Minix fame)

Quote:
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Computer Networks, 3rd ed., p. 83. (paraphrasing Dr. Warren Jackson, Director, University of Toronto Computing Services (UTCS) circa 1985)
See more here: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Andrew_S._Tanenbaum
bonvoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A significant part of my career was testing large data storage systems and remote replication mechanisms. The solution to bandwidth calculations between locations was always "copy to tape and send it via FedEx".
Still is: https://aws.amazon.com/snowball/
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent part of my career being responsible for application performance, and capacity planning.. At one large system benchmark center there was a message from a prior group that had learned a very important lesson they wanted to share:

"All computers wait at the same speed".
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Came across the video that describes Amazon's way of helping large companies migrate vast amounts of data to the cloud. I thought is was fascinating and made me laugh as I spent a whole hour transferring 15 gigabites of info to the cloud this morning. The days of AOL dial up are long, long, over!

How much data, you ask? They talk in terms of exabytes which is the equivelent of 300 BILLION songs. How many is that? Well, if each song was 4:30 long, it would only take you 2,568,493 years (or about 33,000 generations) to listen to them all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/19/how-...-transfer.html
+1

This was a fascinating video - thanks for posting !
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote