Join Early Retirement Today

Computer display problem
Old 11-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Computer display problem

My computer display went dark for a couple of seconds and then came back on with dark bands around the margins of the screen and a compressed and stretched display. Can't see anything that is the cause.

Did a system restore and it reverted to normal, but then it happened again after around 10 min. Another sys restore and it resolved again but reverted to this weirdness even quicker.

Checked graphics driver update and it says that the correct version is installed. Somewhat hesitant to uninstall and reinstall it.

Has anyone experienced this lately? Could it be a Windows 10 update problem? I am updating Windows 10 now to see what happens. Any help would be appreciated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a display hardware problem to me. Often these are temperature-related. A giveaway would be if the display is normal when turned on from stone cold, then malfunctions after it has warmed up.

You can right click on the desktop, go to display properties, and see what pixel size that Win thinks it is displaying. Odds are that this will be the same before dafter the screwup, again pointing to a hardware problem. If the sizes are different, there is a long shot chance that Win is giving the monitor a pixel size that the monitor can't handle. Emphasis on long shot.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Check both ends of the video or HDMI cable for dirt, dust, loose connection.
Check that power cable is not loose or damaged.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

My windows 10 (old) computer with a ATI Raedon HD 4800 graphics card is doing the same thing since the update. Screen is running on MS basic driver, and can't run on the ATI driver. The driver updated in July 2017 no longer works. I suspect older PC's with windows 10 and old hardware are just getting pushed aside. The driver update now is limited to widows 8 and below. Are you have this problem on an older computer? >5 years?
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My solution to such problems, especially right before Christmas, is not very consistent with good LBYM practices.

I'd back everything up, and then buy a new computer! Why not. New computers are fun and they work and besides, we all deserve one and the market is booming so why not.

No, I haven't had anything like that happen with Windows 10 updates, but then my laptop is only six months old or so.

Oh, if you simply MUST... I suppose you could try reverting to a prior graphics driver which I am sure is still on your computer. But if Windows 10 is replacing it with what it thinks is the right driver (but isn't), you would have to do that again time after time. Boo. Buy a new computer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My solution to such problems, especially right before Christmas, is not very consistent with good LBYM practices.

I'd back everything up, and then buy a new computer! Why not. New computers are fun and they work and besides, we all deserve one and the market is booming so why not.

No, I haven't had anything like that happen with Windows 10 updates, but then my laptop is only six months old or so.

Oh, if you simply MUST... I suppose you could try reverting to a prior graphics driver which I am sure is still on your computer. But if Windows 10 is replacing it with what it thinks is the right driver (but isn't), you would have to do that again time after time. Boo. Buy a new computer.
I will not allow Microsoft to dictate computer purchases by their hidden efforts to make hardware obsolete. I still am having printer problems since the last update of Windows 8. The Brother printer is still sold, so current drivers are out there. Somewhere...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rage against the machine!!!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rage against the machine!!!
The computer or Microsoft?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yes!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Check both ends of the video or HDMI cable for dirt, dust, loose connection.
Check that power cable is not loose or damaged.
Nothing seems loose. And since I can do a system restore and have it function normally for a while makes me think the connection is not likely the problem.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
My windows 10 (old) computer with a ATI Raedon HD 4800 graphics card is doing the same thing since the update. Screen is running on MS basic driver, and can't run on the ATI driver. The driver updated in July 2017 no longer works. I suspect older PC's with windows 10 and old hardware are just getting pushed aside. The driver update now is limited to widows 8 and below. Are you have this problem on an older computer? >5 years?
Could be around 5 yrs old or more, I forget. I suspect a compatibility with all of the Windows 10 updates and graphics card/driver. A quick search of the internet is replete with tales of the exact problem I have. And it seems to point to screwed up Win10.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Everything is backed up. I broke down and took it to a computer repair fellow down the street after checking with him on the symptoms. He says it needs a fresh install of the up to date Win 10 system. I tend to agree and am willing to give it a shot before chucking it out. Tried to look at new computers and monitors at Costco today but it seems that no one is in the mall for Black Friday, they are all looking at TVs and computers at Costco! Fortunately, my laptop chugs on without a hiccup.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #13

I had a really weird problem with my monitor. Every once in a while in the morning it would blink off and come back on.
I finally traced it to an EMI pulse when DW would turn off the ceiling fan in the bedroom that backs up to my monitor
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Nothing seems loose. And since I can do a system restore and have it function normally for a while makes me think the connection is not likely the problem.
So, you have a notebook. Saw that in another post. Is this an internal or external monitor?

Can't help much more without specifics. Get a tool that reads your hardware, and then you can find specific fixes, hopefully.
It is possible you're hosed, but equally possible you can run off a different driver.
All the best to you!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Might want to hook up the laptop with the suspect monitor and use to see if any of the symptoms persist. If so, then problem likely the monitor. If no, then problem likely the system on the desktop.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even my main laptop computer an Asus and fairly new with a GeForce 940M video card has a problem with the latest Windows update, the driver needs to be upgraded to use that card, and its only 1 year old! Windows doesn't update it for you.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
My computer display went dark for a couple of seconds and then came back on with dark bands around the margins of the screen and a compressed and stretched display. Can't see anything that is the cause.

Did a system restore and it reverted to normal, but then it happened again after around 10 min. Another sys restore and it resolved again but reverted to this weirdness even quicker.

Checked graphics driver update and it says that the correct version is installed. Somewhat hesitant to uninstall and reinstall it.

Has anyone experienced this lately? Could it be a Windows 10 update problem? I am updating Windows 10 now to see what happens. Any help would be appreciated.
This happened to me with my Laptop after the latest Windows 10 creators edition update. Many others are reporting the same problem. The problem is with Windows 10. To fix this, do the following:

In explorer, right click "this computer" or "my computer" and select properties.

Select "Device Manager"

Select the display driver and in the dialog select "roll back driver".

If the "roll back driver" is not available you need to select "update display driver" and select "search for the best driver on your PC" and then select an older drivers manually.

This is a temporary work-around until a patch comes out for Windows 10.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #18

It kept wanting to reset the driver to one that doesn't work well with the graphics card and the new and improved operating system. Had to replace the graphics card and now all is peachy. A little cheaper than a new computer which helps out since we've been spending like drunken sailors on shore leave with the new home.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
This happened to me with my Laptop after the latest Windows 10 creators edition update. Many others are reporting the same problem. The problem is with Windows 10. To fix this, do the following:

In explorer, right click "this computer" or "my computer" and select properties.

Select "Device Manager"

Select the display driver and in the dialog select "roll back driver".

If the "roll back driver" is not available you need to select "update display driver" and select "search for the best driver on your PC" and then select an older drivers manually.

This is a temporary work-around until a patch comes out for Windows 10.
Thank you so much for the above tips!

For days I have had issues every time I played a video on my HP laptop running Windows 10. At first, I had to restart the computer between every video if I wanted to have sound. Then, the sound starting cutting off in the middle of each video. It was driving me crazy.

Your instructions above re: updating the display driver helped me figure out how to update my audio driver. I just did that, and I can now play all the videos I want, and the sound is working perfectly.

Thank you for saving my sanity. My computer is only 18 months old, and I was at my wits end.