Join Early Retirement Today

First Chrome Book have question
Old 01-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

First Chrome Book have question

Just got a chrome book for my dad and can’t seem to figure out how to change the font. I figured out in general how to change it, but the font that is used in the tab (on the actual tab) does not seem to change no matter what I do. And, it’s too small for my dad to read. Is there any way to increase the font size on the tab?

Also, not as important, but is there a way to show a battery indicator and an on off switch to the program bar at the bottom of the screen? I can find them in a menu, but I’d like them to be always visible.

Last, is there any way to have the computer open to the screen without having to sign in? When the computer starts, it has my dads name but it requires him to put his gmail password in. At his age, this is a problem. I’ll be leaving here in a day and I’m trying not to get any support calls when I get home.

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes to all. (I think)

font size...Settings (3 dots top right) >>> Apperance>>> Font size. I also put page zoom to 125%.

my Chromebook "turns on" when I open it. No need to re sign in. Is he turning it off? If so that is why he has to sign in again

The battery level should be in the bottom right corner. You can hover over it and it should pop up. I think I may have had to change a setting on it out of the box. But I don't remember. Will google it
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can also hold down "Ctrl" and, with the cursor somewhere on the page use the scroll wheel to increase/decrease the size of the page/font.

As Scrapr said, I suspect the best way is to not turn it off and just close the lid. That should get you back to your last page.

Depending on your CB, you may have to click (vs hover) on the lower right hand side to access the on/off, battery and other info.

I've been on CB exclusively for 5 or 6 years but there is a bit of "unlearning" to do if you've been on MSFT or Apple for years. It is different but I wouldn't use anything else at this point.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
You can also hold down "Ctrl" and, with the cursor somewhere on the page use the scroll wheel to increase/decrease the size of the page/font.

As Scrapr said, I suspect the best way is to not turn it off and just close the lid. That should get you back to your last page.

Depending on your CB, you may have to click (vs hover) on the lower right hand side to access the on/off, battery and other info.

I've been on CB exclusively for 5 or 6 years but there is a bit of "unlearning" to do if you've been on MSFT or Apple for years. It is different but I wouldn't use anything else at this point.

When I hover over the bottom of the screen, the app bar pops up. Then a click in lower right cover brings up the battery meter and other settings options.

+1 on the CB environment.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:47 AM   #5

Would a large monitor work,or does he use it mobile? At home, I use a large monitor to relieve eye strain.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #6

You have to understand that Chrome OS and Chrome are different things. Chrome OS is the operating system that runs the entire Chromebook itself (in a similar way that Windows runs other computers) whereas Chrome is a browser that allows you to access and view content on the internet.

There are two different settings that affect the size of the font on the monitor. One is found in the settings in the Chrome browser and controls the size of the font while you are working in Chrome and it it accessed by clicking the three vertical dots at the top right of Chrome by changing the zoom settings. Once you change the setting Chrome then defaults to that zoom level while you are in Chrome.

There are also settings within Chrome OS itself that control the actual display whether you are in the Chrome browser or any other application... those settings are accessed by clicking the bottom right on the Chromebook monitor where you see the time and then click the circular button that looks like a snowflake (if you hover your mouse over the button it will say "settings"), then go down to the "Device" section and click "Displays" and then find the "Display size" setting... you will see an option to change the size of the display from tiny up to huge.

By the way, it is a Chromebook, not a Chrome Book.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #7

On the font size. I’ve tried all the above and the size of the font on the tab(the actual tab on top) does not seem to change. If I zoom, it gets a little bigger, but it is still way smaller than the rest of the screen. I’ll keep trying, but it seems stuck there by default.

On having to log in every time, even just closing the lid results in a requirement to re-enter the password.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

Okay, found the setting to increase the tab font.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Okay, found the setting to increase the tab font.
Can you share?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Can you share?
I wish. I stumbled upon it. So frustrating. If I fall into it again, I’ll try to pay better attention. Very sorry.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Go to the three dots on the right top .When it opens pick settings .When settings opens pick appearance and you will be able to change the size of the print .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Go to the three dots on the right top .When it opens pick settings .When settings opens pick appearance and you will be able to change the size of the print .
Works for me and I increased magnification to 110%
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind that Chromebooks all have a built in update lifetime. After that they will still work, but Google will no longer update the OS. So, if you buy a used one, don't buy one that is very, very old unless you can live with shortly having no updates to the OS.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marko,
Why do you prefer the chromebook? I use a MSFT laptop.

Can you run Excel and Word without any issues.

Have you run into applications or tasks it won't do, that your computer did?

My laptop is slower than my phone dealing with anything on the internet. It is older than the phone. Will a chromebook run at faster internet speeds similar to a smartphone?

Thanks, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #15

I’m not marko, but I don’t think you can run Word or Excel on a CB. Chrome is Google and Google has very good alternatives, Sheets is their spreadsheet and Google Docs for word processing. They will read and write in Word and Excel format, but I think if you go with a CB, you’re pretty much moving away from MSFT programs.

CB works kinda of like your phone where you go to the Google store and buy apps. Maybe there is a MSFT app but I don’t think so.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #16

Thanks Jerry,
Markos praise of his chromebook just peaked my interest, and there is unlimited information on this. I came back to say, never mind.

A question for you.
If all of your information is stored in "the cloud ", how secure is it?
I'm concerned about spreadsheets with account information as an example.

I'm assuming MSFT Excel files can be opened and saved in the CB spreadsheet format.

Thanks
Quote:
I’m not marko, but I don’t think you can run Word or Excel on a CB. Chrome is Google and Google has very good alternatives, Sheets is their spreadsheet and Google Docs for word processing. They will read and write in Word and Excel format, but I think if you go with a CB, you’re pretty much moving away from MSFT programs.

CB works kinda of like your phone where you go to the Google store and buy apps. Maybe there is a MSFT app but I don’t think so.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #17

The other shortcut to increasing size of the font is to press "Ctrl" (Control) and the "+" sign at the same time.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Thanks Jerry,
Markos praise of his chromebook just peaked my interest, and there is unlimited information on this. I came back to say, never mind.

A question for you.
If all of your information is stored in "the cloud ", how secure is it?
I'm concerned about spreadsheets with account information as an example.

I'm assuming MSFT Excel files can be opened and saved in the CB spreadsheet format.

Thanks
Personally, I don’t mind the cloud, but for personal information, I don’t like it or use it. I’m sure there’s things one can do but anything on a computer can be hacked and the cloud seems ripe for exploitation of any weakness.

Yes, Sheets can open Excel files. They can also save in Excel format if you want to work on something on a MSFT machine.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Keep in mind that Chromebooks all have a built in update lifetime. After that they will still work, but Google will no longer update the OS. So, if you buy a used one, don't buy one that is very, very old unless you can live with shortly having no updates to the OS.
Good advice, the update issues is sort of but not exactly the same as outdating of windows operating systems. Ny nearly 3 year old Asus Chromebook will be running out of updates soon. I am undecided as to keeping ti vs selling online to someone who doesn't care about updates.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Personally, I don’t mind the cloud, but for personal information, I don’t like it or use it. I’m sure there’s things one can do but anything on a computer can be hacked and the cloud seems ripe for exploitation of any weakness.

Yes, Sheets can open Excel files. They can also save in Excel format if you want to work on something on a MSFT machine.
I believe most Chromebooks will let you store information on a thumb-drive also. While not as convenient, it can be done. Just make sure to get two drives, and use one as the backup.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote