Join Early Retirement Today

Free trial of T-Mobile network
Old 08-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

T-Mobile is offering a free trial of their network for anyone who is not or has never been a T-Mobile customer.

Sign up (name, address, phone # and email address) and they will send you a free wi-fi hotspot device and sim card to use for 30 days or 30GB of data, whichever comes first. No strings attached - you don't give any CC info and the sim card auto deactivates at the end of the trial. Then you can keep the device, give it to someone to activate their own trial or return to T-Mobile.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fantastic! T-Mobile is the other network available to Consumer Cellular customers (I chose AT&T). This sounds like a low-impact way to compare side by side. Thanks for the heads up.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Any idea what it costs to keep it?
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Any idea what it costs to keep it?
Google T-Mobile rate plans and it should bring up their hotspot pricing.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #5

Thanks. I just signed up. I had been thinking about changing to T-Mobile 55+ plan. This should allow us to test the signal before transferring out phone number. ATT seems to have changed somehow and signal strength is constantly changing, often dropping calls.

P.S. MS Edge would not allow me to sign up. Wouldn't allow me to agree to Terms and Conditions. Chrome did.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Google T-Mobile rate plans and it should bring up their hotspot pricing.
I did and I'm still confused. I don't see any hotspot plans or devices on their site.

Weird promotion.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I did and I'm still confused. I don't see any hotspot plans or devices on their site.
https://www.t-mobile.com/content/dam...nuary_2019.pdf

Bottom of the first page.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post

P.S. MS Edge would not allow me to sign up. Wouldn't allow me to agree to Terms and Conditions. Chrome did.
I saw some discussion about the T-Mobile promotion sign-up page being finicky as to what browser you were using. Anyone having issues should do as you did and try a different browser.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll give it a try. Coverage on all networks I've tried is really terrible. Our house is in sort of a valley.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:38 AM   #10

I ordered the device yesterday and expect delivery soon and am looking forward to it.

I ended up spending time in a waiting room yesterday afternoon and had a chance to look through the offer more closely. A few interesting things:

Your trial begins when you activate the SIM/hotspot. I might delay activation since Iím anticipating a new device to use with and test.

After the trial is over, you can keep the gadget or give it to someone (or, I suppose, return it). This has been mentioned already. T-Mobile of course hopes you keep it and get a plan.

Other call/data traffic may be prioritized higher than the hotspot depending on network conditions. This doesnít concern me as Iím more interested in coverage/signal than performance.

They included language in the offer ďwhile supplies lastĒ. Who knows whether supplies are limited, could be just to cover T-Mobile.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I signed up. will be interested to see if the coverage is good. can you use the hotspot from anywhere you go or does it have to be at home?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #12

frank, you should be able to use it from anywhere T-Mobile has a signal.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Their data plans aren't very competitive...for $35/month AT&T offers an unlimited LTE "tablet" plan, but the SIM can be moved to a hotspot once activated.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great idea! Especially for someone like me in a questionable coverage area. I'm a bit confused about whether this will actually tell me what kind of voice coverage I'll get. From what I see it looks like you use this for data? So I can connect to this instead of my home router and see what I get, but this may or may not give me a solid indication of voice coverage and quality. Can you put the sim in your phone instead of the device? But it doesn't look like a micro sim like I need. I signed up for it so I'll see what I get. If it works, the over 55 unlimited data plan looks pretty good.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #15

I would think the strength/quality of the data signal would be an indication of what you could expect for voice coverage, but that's only a fractionally educated (very small fraction) guess. It appears the data and voice signals come from the same tower but use different channels.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Got mine yesterday- signed up Wednesday- they ship 2 day air but I got it one day early!
The sim I got has to be activated by January 2021 - so Iím going to leave it in the box until our next trip - use it for iPads and laptop.
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastOfTheBoomers View Post
Got mine yesterday- signed up Wednesday- they ship 2 day air but I got it one day early!
The sim I got has to be activated by January 2021 - so Iím going to leave it in the box until our next trip - use it for iPads and laptop.

Happy day! I hope it works well. Mineís supposed to show up Tuesday. Itís good to learn thereís a time limit for activation, Jan Ď21 (or Ď20, even) is a long window.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #18

We switched to T-Mobile a few months ago after 15+ years with AT&T. Their 55+ plan of two phones with unlimited everything for $70/month (inclusive of all taxes and fees) is pretty hard to beat. Coverage has been fine. AT&T was almost twice as much.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #19

Just checked, mine will be here Tuesday. Since I am just about ready to pull the rigger for T-Mobile, I'll check out ASAP before I commit. Anyone know if the box is accessible via computer to read the receiving signal level?
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:17 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for this. Mine is ordered and shipped.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote