Hard Drive Replacement

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Apparently my hard drive is failing and I seeking advice on how to replace it.

When I retired and turned in my laptop to Megacorp 4 yrs ago I replaced it with a Dell Inspiron 5767 running Win10. It has started slowing down and locking up more and more in the last year. I’ve gained a little more appreciation for the tech support at Megacorp. This machine is unusable at times. Malware and ant-virus programs have not been helpful.

I searched online and found a remote PC repair site called Boxaid. It was gonna be $30-90 for them to diagnose and repair the issue so I gave it a shot. I called and downloaded a desktop share program from their site. Within 5 minutes the tech advised they could not fix since my problem is due to failing hard drive. She said do not turn off and backup my files. She thinks the replacement will be ~$200 at someplace like Staples or Best Buy.
Any and all feedback is welcomed.

I've replaced many hard drives. You can google some basics on how to replace and copy data, etc. $200 is high. You can get some nice SSD drives for well less than half of that. How large is your drive?

Replacing the hard drive will be a pain. The process is to clone the drive, for which you will need software, a connector of some sort and a new drive. If you have a local computer repair shop, I’d take it there. However, as instructed, number one priority is to copy your important (or all) flies in case the drive gives up. To do that, a usb flash drive or an external usb hard drive is all you need. The cloud is another option, but I’d think of this as urgent, go get a usb flash drive that is big enough to handle your important files and get backed up immediately.

Then, I’d probably just buy a new computer, but that’s just me.

Edit to add, it will be a pain only because you don’t have much time. If your drive wasn’t failing and you had time, it’s really pretty simple.

Last edited:
Replacing the hard drive will be a pain. The process is to clone the drive, for which you will need software, a connector of some sort and a new drive. If you have a local computer repair shop, I’d take it there. However, as instructed, number one priority is to copy your important (or all) flies in case the drive gives up. To do that, a usb flash drive or an external usb hard drive is all you need. The cloud is another option, but I’d think of this as urgent, go get a usb flash drive that is big enough to handle your important files and get backed up immediately.

Then, I’d probably just buy a new computer, but that’s just me.

Edit to add, it will be a pain only because you don’t have much time. If your drive wasn’t failing and you had time, it’s really pretty simple.

It's time for a new computer. An intel I5, Gen 8 laptop will run $500.

From the reviews I see of that laptop, it's pretty new - only about 2 years old. The drive may be covered under manufacturers warranty. First check for that - you may well be able to get a replacement drive for free. Then you'd just need to reinstall Win 10 - hopefully you have the reinstall CD. As others mentioned, first back up your important files somewhere, then go from there.

https://support.wdc.com/warranty/warrantystatus.aspx?lang=en

https://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/

Apparently my hard drive is failing and I seeking advice on how to replace it.

If your computer is less than five years old I would probably just replace the hard drive. Unless you're a gamer or do processor intensive work like video editing, you probably won't notice any speed increases. Hard drives are easy to replace, fairly cheap, and will certainly cost less than buying a new computer.

Basically, you plug the new drive into the computer, clone the old drive to the new one, then remove the old drive and replace it with the new one. It might take an hour or two, depending on the size of your hard drive. When I replaced my laptop hard drive I used this inexpensive adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVRS38G

There's usually a cover on the bottom of a laptop, with maybe a screw or two securing the drive in place. I'm sure you could find a how-to video on YouTube if you've never done it.

There are a lot of free cloning programs out there, but I like Macrium Reflect (I use it for regular backups too).
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

It makes the cloning process easy, and can adjust for different size hard drives (For example, if the new drive is larger than the old one):
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Cloning+a+disk

If you're replacing the hard drive anyway, I would recommend getting an SSD (solid state disc). They cost a bit more but are much faster, use less power, and are more reliable. You'll probably see a noticeable difference with most programs. I like the Samsung EVO SSD drives.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S

Create a disk image if possible, Windows 10 has the ability built in or use a commercial product like Acronis. Then you should be able to copy that image back on to a new hard drive. It's a lot faster that reinstalling all your programs and restoring backup files.

Create a disk image if possible, Windows 10 has the ability built in or use a commercial product like Acronis. Then you should be able to copy that image back on to a new hard drive. It's a lot faster that reinstalling all your programs and restoring backup files.
Yes, when I replaced the hard drive in DW's work laptop a couple years ago with an SSD because it was getting too slow, the actual hardware swap took about 10 minutes, and I used Acronis Disk Image to copy the entire hard drive image to the SSD I was going to install, and then just installed it and fired it up. Felt like a totally new machine with an SSD in there.

Unless you are doing high end video work or intensive gaming (probably not with a laptop), I would imagine this laptop, with an SSD and sufficient RAM (at least 8 GB, IMO), has at least another 5 years of useful life. Moore's Law has slowed down a lot in the last decade in terms of desktop computing power.

I don't know how much space you need but you can get a quality SSD like a Samsung EVO 860 for about $80 with 500 GB of storage. And you will be amazed at how quickly it starts up compared to a mechanical "spinner".

Last edited:
Thanks to all! This place is amazing. In the meantime I’ve located a site selling replacements for $88-130 with YouTube tutorials. I haven’t come across any details on cloning/ reimaging, just backup.

The warranty expired March 2018 but I just might call dell anyway. Maybe they’ll cut me some slack if I tell em I’m living paycheck to paycheck.

Also, assuming the drive is still readable, you can also get a cable for about 10 bucks that connects an internal 2.5" SATA drive to an external USB port and use the new drive as an external drive to the laptop. Then clone the current (failing) hard drive to the new drive and replace it. If all went well, you're good to go at that point.

If you can clone -- create an identical disk image -- it's easier because it cuts out some intermediate steps compared to regular backup. With a regular backup you have to install a new drive, then boot from Windows installation DVD and install. Then install a bunch of updates, reboot after reboot, and then restore your files and reinstall applications when it is done. Some people would prefer to go that route because it might make a "cleaner system" with less junk in it and *possibly* make it slightly faster, but it will take quite a bit more time.

Last edited:
...With a regular backup you have to install a new drive, then boot from Windows installation DVD and install. Then install a bunch of updates, reboot after reboot, and then restore your files and reinstall applications when it is done. Some people would prefer to go that route because it might make a "cleaner system" with less junk in it and *possibly* make it slightly faster, but it will take quite a bit more time.

That's me.

Every time I install a new HDD, I install a clean version of the OS. Not the bloated version from the manufacturer's backup CD. And not an image of the current failing drive. It's a little more time consuming, but it clears out all the junk that's built up over time.

I always keep data files backed up and either on a separate drive or a separate partition from the OS and programs. So that part is never an issue. Yes, it's a bit of a hassle to reinstall programs and maybe chase down an updated printer driver, etc. But IMHO, it's worth it to start clean and fresh, without the accumulated gunk in the system.

I've cloned hard drives in the past using a free version of Macrium Reflect. Think I was moving my system to a larger HDD so wanted to clone the system.

In fact, on my to-do list is to make a clone of my backup 1TB HDD to a larger HDD.

Last edited:
+1 on Macrium Reflect free. I have been using it for years.

I have replaced many dozen hard drives over the years in various PCs. It is not as easy these days as it used to be, due to the UEFI bios, but hopefully it will be easy for you.

Do not consider anything but a name brand SSD drive, IMHO. I recommend Crucial, Samsung, or WD.

Replacing a HD is a good time to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. Go to the Media Creation Tool website and burn the ISO unto a USB flash drive. Reinstall and it will automatically re-activate. Then put your data back from its backup.

Last edited:
Dell support desk advised the 2T replacement internal drives they have are 3.5" HDD ($150) or 2.5" SDD ($299) which are both made by WD. Is that reasonable? I thought desktop PCs use 3.5" internal drives and laptops use 2.5" but was not expecting I could use either. The adapter cable to connect the new drive via USB to clone is $8-20.

Actually, those symptoms don't sound like a failing hard drive to me. Usually that gets me the dreaded "Operating System Not Found" message.

I would clone it onto a USB backup drive like a WD MyBook in case it is actually failing, then take it to a local computer shop that's been in business for a while/has some expertise. They will clear out temp files, old installs, and other junk. There is also a Win 10 tool that checks all the OS files. Alternatively, a DIY attack using Glary Utilities might work.

The issue with cloning the current disk is that if the current disk is not bad, you will probably just get a new copy of the old problems.

SSD is a no-brainer if you're replacing. Speed, ruggedness, ... what's not to like? Save some $$ by getting something smaller than a TB. Unless you are a pack rat for movies it's unlikely you need that much space.

2.5" is a common SSD size. You can mount the 2.5" in the desktop case one way or another if it doesn't have a 2.5" bay, or use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

How much space are you actually using on your drive? A 250 GB SSD may be plenty big enough.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post. You should always make regular backups of important files. Sometimes hard drives or specific files get corrupted, wiped out, overwritten, encrypted by ransomware, or complete failures resulting in no opportunity to recover.

Last edited:
I’ve barely scratched the 2T capacity. All my regular files are on a flash drive. I think MS Office is the only major app I have added.

Edit: I’ve used 90 GB in 2.5 yrs.

Last edited:
Mired in the muck here. Downloaded the Macrium software. Thanks easysurfer and camfused. Getting various error messages trying to backup and create boot disk for a failing system. Having to read the Macrium user manual as it is not intuitive to me!

Mired in the muck here. Downloaded the Macrium software. Thanks easysurfer and camfused. Getting various error messages trying to backup and create boot disk for a failing system. Having to read the Macrium user manual as it is not intuitive to me!

Not familiar with Macrium, have you tried using the Windows 10 built in imaging software, it's worked well for me when I've used it and easy to use. To get to it click the Windows 10 Search icon and search for 'backup', select 'backup settings', select 'go to backup and restore (Windows 7)'. Connect your backup drive and select 'create a system image'. You'll also need to create a system repair disk, that option is available on the same page.

I’ve barely scratched the 2T capacity. All my regular files are on a flash drive. I think MS Office is the only major app I have added.

Edit: I’ve used 90 GB in 2.5 yrs.

Do you have an external HDD or thumbdrive to copy the 90GB worth of data to? Even more at risk than the system I'd think is the data as stuff like old precious photos if lost, can't be replaced while the OS can be reinstalled.

Are you trying to create a bootable disc to run off of to do your system backup or are you trying to run an image from the installed Macrium program on your HDD? I think using the bootable disc may be a bit cleaner to avoid any issues like running off of a bad system.

As I mentioned in post #6, it is by far easiest to connect your new drive to your computer (using an adapter cable if needed) and "clone" the old drive to the new one. Then swap drives and you're ready to go.

However, if the data on your drive is already hosed from a failing drive, you could simply copy the files you want to keep (photos, music, documents, etc.) to one or most external drives (hard disc or flash drives). Then install the new drive, format it, reinstall Windows, reinstall all your apps, then copy your data back from your external backup drives.

Thanks everyone for the follow ups. I tried using windows 10 to create a boot disk and backup my data but kept getting error messages so I decided to try the Macrium software suggested here. It has very good user guide so I am stuck in research mode. Everything says create emergency boot disk before doing anything. When I run the “build disk “command it does not create the disk.

All valuable files/data are on a USB thumb drive so I’m ok there. Not sure what all the 90 GB consists of.

I’m starting to lean towards SSD replacement drive but I could probably buy a cheap new machine for the same money.

I am skeptical about a diagnosis of failing HD. In my view they are all going to fail but I don't know when and I am not sure if anyone else can really predict. I agree with your thought of just replacing the pc. I am looking at a SSD + HD combination for my next one.

I am skeptical about a diagnosis of failing HD. In my view they are all going to fail but I don't know when and I am not sure if anyone else can really predict. I agree with your thought of just replacing the pc. I am looking at a SSD + HD combination for my next one.

Yes, all hard drives WILL fail eventually. Of course, you will usually end up replacing the drive to gain more storage space or better performance (SSD) long before the drive actually fails.

That said, you can get a fairly good idea of the health of a drive using a utility such as Crystal Disk Info:

https://crystalmark.info/en/

You can also scan the surface of the drive for bad sectors using Windows or the software provided by the drive manufacturer such as Samsungs Magician.

As for a new drive, you can buy a new 1TB hard drive (2.5" for laptops) for under $50, or a 500GB SSD for under $75. Good luck finding a new computer for that price.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a hybrid hard drive. You can buy a full SSD cheaper and it will be faster and more reliable than a hybrid drive. I switched to SSD's years ago and would never go back to standard drives. The only standard drive I have anymore is my external backup drive. I needed the capacity more than the performance for that drive.

Back
Top Bottom