Join Early Retirement Today

Headset Recommendation Followup
Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Headset Recommendation Followup

I read the thread about recommendations for headsets for air travel.

From that thread:

From OldShooter
Quote:
The Comply tips, however are now being marketed to independent headset makers. Look here: https://www.complyfoam.com/professional-products/ and https://www.complyfoam.com/products/t-series/#

@omni550, I would suggest that you sleuth out and buy some earphones that are compatible with the Comply tips, ideally the professional model tips, and buy them. IMO this is the best solution, assuming you are not one of the people who cannot use in-ear and is thus doomed to the head-clampers.
Well I did what was recommended to omni and so far I'm pleased. The professional model tips are only compatible with a small number of earphones. I chose a model from Klipsch and got the tips. I haven't been on a plane yet, but the headphones are good (especially for my indiscriminate ears) and the tips do seem to block out a lot of the outside noise. I can see how they would work. Not so much as noise canceling (they are noise isolating) but by blocking the outside noise, I shouldn't have to turn my volume way up in order to hear whatever I'm playing.

One thing I like right away is the comfort of the tips. They squish down like foam ear plugs do and insert deep into your ear canal. This is, to me, a lot more comfortable than the silicone tips that came with the earphones. I guess now I need to book a flight so I can test them. All in, with the earphones ($73 from Best Buy) and the Comply tips ($20 from Amazon), I'm in under $100. Not bad for what I know they do and if they work well on a plane, well worth it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I read the thread about recommendations for headsets for air travel.

From that thread:

From OldShooter

Well I did what was recommended to omni and so far I'm pleased. The professional model tips are only compatible with a small number of earphones. I chose a model from Klipsch and got the tips. I haven't been on a plane yet, but the headphones are good (especially for my indiscriminate ears) and the tips do seem to block out a lot of the outside noise. I can see how they would work. Not so much as noise canceling (they are noise isolating) but by blocking the outside noise, I shouldn't have to turn my volume way up in order to hear whatever I'm playing.

One thing I like right away is the comfort of the tips. They squish down like foam ear plugs do and insert deep into your ear canal. This is, to me, a lot more comfortable than the silicone tips that came with the earphones. I guess now I need to book a flight so I can test them. All in, with the earphones ($73 from Best Buy) and the Comply tips ($20 from Amazon), I'm in under $100. Not bad for what I know they do and if they work well on a plane, well worth it.
Glad to hear that this might be a viable and reasonably-priced solution, Jerry1. And the small 'form factor' is definitely a plus.

Would you mind sharing which Klipsch earphones model you purchased?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:45 AM   #3

These:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...?skuId=6214910

There is a cheaper pair that is essentially the same, but I wanted the volume control.

The list of earphones that will work with the professional model tips is here:

https://www.complyfoam.com/content/A...TY%20CHART.pdf

The professional tips only come in the 100 core size so if you take OldShooters recommendation you have to stick with the models in that size.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
These:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...?skuId=6214910

There is a cheaper pair that is essentially the same, but I wanted the volume control.

The list of earphones that will work with the professional model tips is here:

https://www.complyfoam.com/content/A...TY%20CHART.pdf

The professional tips only come in the 100 core size so if you take OldShooters recommendation you have to stick with the models in that size.
Thanks, Jerry1.

Now I'm off to do some research/shopping!

On my upcoming July flights, I hope to trial this set-up vs the Bose and Sony over-the-ear headphones I mentioned in the original thread....http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...vel-97561.html

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

You will likely fly before me so let me know how it goes. My daughter has and has loaned her Bose noise canceling headphones to DW so we’ll grab those and see how they compare. We also bought a pair of Sony noise canceling headphones for son in law. Not Sony’s best, but they were a $200 pair on sale for $100. He was happy with them. We might grab those too. I really think these earphones will work and the small size would make them a winner if they work well.