Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How many email addressees can you forward using Yahoo
Old 12-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How many email addressees can you forward using Yahoo

My 82-year old mother is the secretary of her garden club and occasionally forwards emails to a 50-member group in her yahoo mail account. She has been forwarding emails to this group for a few years using yahoo mail (classic version). Since November, she gets a message that says "there seems to be a problem with your email address. Please try again." She has not change anything in the contact group, but for some reason her yahoo will not forward emails to the contact group. She can select an individual addressee and forward email with no issues, sending the group email does not work.
Does anyone know if Yahoo has changed their policy regarding the maximum number of emails one can forward to? I've searched and cannot find an answer.

Also, does Gmail allow you to create contact groups to send out mass emails?
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't know - but has she tried splitting it up into several sub-groups, and send each sub-group maybe an hour a part or something?

If I could not find answers online, I'd try that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
gone traveling

You are not going to like this answer.
She needs a new email system for sending “mass” emails.
I see Yahoo flagged as a spammer too often. Even with legitimate emails.
I am sure they are trying to improve their reputation.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
When I've sent out emails to a large group of 30 people, I'll get failed email address messages as some people have changed their email.

Is she sure it's not simply due to a couple of bad email addresses ?
Maybe her group list is not using the same emails as the individual ones.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has she tried to switch over to the new Yahoo Mail from Classic? It's a seamless transition as I recall, not sure if it will fix the problem but it would be a quick change to try.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

This discussion indicates that the limit is secret but probably closer to 50. She should be using BCC and she could break it up into a couple or a few messages to get under the limit. My sister forwards chain emails using "To:" and it occasionally prompts in irritating mass responses.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Never dawned on me that there are limits. From what I've just read, guess the reason is to prevent a spammers from sending out in mass.

Another alternative to move the garden club away from just email but to a group like yahoo groups or a forum.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Never dawned on me that there are limits. From what I've just read, guess the reason is to prevent a spammers from sending out in mass.
Yes, to fight spammers. It's kind of funny that the limit is 'secret', how hard would it be for a spammer to test various sizes? The old 'binary search' would get you there lickity-split (to use another technical term).

I also read that if it is due to a limit, you get a specific message for that. so maybe limits are not the issue (as others suggested - some bad addresses?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Another alternative to move the garden club away from just email but to a group like yahoo groups or a forum.
Yes, but for most of those, there is some sign up procedure involved. Probably simple, but IME 10% of the people will be a pain for you.

Good luck.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, to fight spammers. It's kind of funny that the limit is 'secret', how hard would it be for a spammer to test various sizes? The old 'binary search' would get you there lickity-split (to use another technical term).

I also read that if it is due to a limit, you get a specific message for that. so maybe limits are not the issue (as others suggested - some bad addresses?)

Yes, but for most of those, there is some sign up procedure involved. Probably simple, but IME 10% of the people will be a pain for you.

Good luck.

-ERD50
I was going to recommend create a FB group, figured FB is difficult enough for me. No need to add to the confusion .
Old 12-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The recommendation to move to the new email client is a good one. The interface is not that different from the classic version. Also limiting the distribution list to no more than 25 email addresses is a good plan. I send to about 100 people a month and have my distribution list divided into groups of 25 to avoid an ISP from rejecting the message as spam.
This is true for all email systems: Yahoo, Outlook, GMail, and others associated solely with cable providers or telephone/internet services.