Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Needs a man purse...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
When the larger phones were first introduced, the universal comment from males was "But it won't fit in my pocket." The obvious, useful answer is a crossbody vertically-oriented bag, where you can also put your glasses, keys, wallet, and a water bottle. Disregard all the shrieks of horror at "man-purse" and go with the practical and efficient. Restricting yourself to a mini-phone because it must go into a pocket only means you need a second, larger phone or tablet. :-)
Yeah. Umm.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I always carry my iPhone in my front pocket. I also carry my wallet there because I don;t want to lose it or get it picked. Those shallow front pockets OP's husband has are my pet peeve, There are lots of pants I like at REI but almost all of them have shallow front pockets. What a stupid design! The are guaranteed to loose keys, phones, wallets, whatever you want to carry there. What are they for?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattara View Post
My husband is seriously thinking about getting a smartphone. Somehow we've been getting by with a flip phone from 2007, no data. It's time for us to cave. His concern relates to how to carry it - many of his pant pockets are shallow, and he certainly doesn't want to have to worry about the 5"- 6" phone falling out. What do men do in this case? Thanks.
Mine is in my purse, but yeah, most guys don't want to carry a man-bag for some reason. I think they should! Purses are so convenient and a manly guy can pull it off with no questions about his masculinity. But anyway, back to the topic at hand...

F has a generic carrying case/pouch for his that clips to his belt. When your DH buys a smartphone, there will probably be ample opportunity to buy accessories for it including this sort of case/pouch that clips to one's belt or waistband.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had no idea that this was a thing. All my pants/shorts have sufficiently deep front pockets for my Galaxy S7 Edge. My work pants are Dockers/khakis/suit pants, and my casual bottoms are either jeans or shorts, which are either cargo shorts or the ones that are basically short khakis.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mine is in my purse, but yeah, most guys don't want to carry a man-bag for some reason. I think they should! Purses are so convenient and a manly guy can pull it off with no questions about his masculinity.
Yep, it's a possibles bag. If Davy Crockett can carry a bag, it should be ok for anybody.

jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #27

Since I rarely see anyone not staring continuously at their smartphone, I wonder if this is a serious question. Nobody puts it away anymore so why would you need a place to carry it?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Sorry but can't go with the belt clip idea. However if you have a degree in engineering, computer science or math you can have a waiver.
Whew, glad I get a waiver.

Do we also get a waiver for cargo shorts, since I alternate between the belt clip and the big pockets?
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Since I rarely see anyone not staring continuously at their smartphone, I wonder if this is a serious question. Nobody puts it away anymore so why would you need a place to carry it?
Your post got me thinking...where is my phone? Any calls/texts get forwarded to my email and that's usually how I see that someone is contacting me. I have noticed that these days, I usually leave the house WITHOUT my phone. I have to say, it's kinda nice not being attached to it.

OK...guess I will go see if I can find it. I *might* need it one of these days.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #30
Administrator

You put it in your stylish fanny pack, of course. You do wear one, right?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I have a Motorola G4 Play... it has a 5" screen and fits comfortably in my left front pants pocket.

I initially had a G4 which was 5 1/2 inch and it didn't fit comfortably in my pocket so DW got that one and I got the slightly smaller G4 Play... that 1/2" made a big difference.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #32

In the car or bicycle goes on Quadlock, otherwise (unless I decide to stand on my head) goes in my pocket.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Yep, it's a possibles bag. If Davy Crockett can carry a bag, it should be ok for anybody.
There you go! Davy Crockett surely was a very manly sort of fellow.

"Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee, Killed him a b'ar, when he was only three..." Now that legend just leaves no doubt about it!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Cargo pants, eh? I hear these days they are called "purse pants"

They are very helpful for carrying...well, almost anything.
They are called "Dad" pants. And for a reason. Don't be caught wearing 'Dad" pants.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post

It's very manly if you are carrying gunpowder and bullets in it!
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Don’t get one of the big smartphones. I have an iPhone 6s and it fits in my pants pockets. According to the specs it’s 5-1/2 inches by a little over 2-1/2 inches. I think most brands have a similar size option.
Same here. Also, if your cell is b_tt calling or clicking on unwanted data/links close the so called "door" by pressing that side button. It sounds like a door closing. Every time I'm done on cell I click that. No more ventures into places I did not want to visit.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

You can probably find a friend who has an old, unused phone he can try to find out whether it's going to be a big deal to carry it in his pocket. I go front pocket with shorts. Sometimes back pocket with jeans.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #38

" What do men do in this case ? "

A few continue to use the shirt pocket, have an otterbox or similar rubber phone protector, have the phone fall out of shirt pocket and hit the pavement daily .

No phone damage so far, still tempting fate .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #39

My iPhone X fits fine in the front pockets of my jeans.

If you do this, you want to make sure you don't encase the phone in a giant (rubberlike) case. I used the slim leather case and it's fine.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always carry my (largest made, good for weak vision) iPhone screen-in, top-down in the front right pocket of my jeans or other pants. To prevent scratches NOTHING else is stashed in that pocket. I don't use a case or screen protector. Fortunately, I haven't yet been clumsy over a hard surface.

I've used that pocket for phones for years and have not dropped a phone, but I don't do headstands or other contorted positions. I've rarely dialed accidentally, and then only when I've returned the phone to my pocket without putting it to sleep.

edit: Upside down is so that I can use "raise to wake."
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote