Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, all. Appreciate the helpful information - and the humor!

mpeirce - would you please provide a link to the leather case you're talking about? My husband is interested in the iPhone XS. Thanks.

"My iPhone X fits fine in the front pockets of my jeans.

If you do this, you want to make sure you don't encase the phone in a giant (rubberlike) case. I used the slim leather case and it's fine."
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I don’t want to take this thread off track but Apple is widely expected to drop support for iPhone 6 later this year. The older smaller screen models are less popular. They will still work but without updates new apps may not be compatible.
TriumphTR3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Carry it in my front left pants pocket. It is a Samsung Galaxy Amp, so it is not one of the very large screen smartphones.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
They are called "Dad" pants. And for a reason. Don't be caught wearing 'Dad" pants.
Shrug. So I wear dad pants, sometimes use a phone case on my belt, and sometimes wear Crocs (different styles). When I was working, I always wore pleated pants and loafers with tassels.

And sometimes I drive the Miata.

Doesn't bother my wife at all, so it's all good.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattara View Post

mpeirce - would you please provide a link to the leather case you're talking about? My husband is interested in the iPhone XS. Thanks.

"My iPhone X fits fine in the front pockets of my jeans.

If you do this, you want to make sure you don't encase the phone in a giant (rubberlike) case. I used the slim leather case and it's fine."
I have this case. Very slim and easy to fit into pants pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, Jerry1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I have this case. Very slim and easy to fit into pants pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pixel 2XL. Right front pocket, screen facing my thigh. When I pull it out I place the tip of my index finger on the fingerprint sensor so by the time I've got it out of my pocket it's unlocked and ready to go.

I understand the problem with shallow pockets. I make sure any pants or shorts I buy now have deep enough pockets for my phone. I even have some Docker shorts that have a dedicated phone pocket, which is really nice.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattara View Post

I have the "iPhone X Leather Case - Black", here's the equivalent one for the iPhone XS:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MVFQ2ZM/A/

I used to go caseless - I like'd the slimness and how easily it slide into my pocket. But given that the iPhone X and XS have glass on both the front and back, I decided to add the leather case to avoid cracking it. It only adds a little thickness and slides into my pocket easily.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #49

Of course it’s good to buy pants with nice size pockets, but let’s not forget a tailor. You can have some pockets sewn in for a few bucks. It’s not like that’s a difficult alteration. One thing I always liked about dress/work cloths was that they were tailored. They fit me just the way I wanted them too.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Shirt pocket.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Many thanks for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I have the "iPhone X Leather Case - Black", here's the equivalent one for the iPhone XS:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MVFQ2ZM/A/

I used to go caseless - I like'd the slimness and how easily it slide into my pocket. But given that the iPhone X and XS have glass on both the front and back, I decided to add the leather case to avoid cracking it. It only adds a little thickness and slides into my pocket easily.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #52

Regarding the glass, is anyone else conscious of the irony that the more expensive models of phones are *celebrated* for their *elegance* that includes ***glass*** fronts and backs, but, then, we immediately have to buy plastic in which to encase them? I had the old Galaxy Note 3, which was panned for its "cheap" plastic backing. I now have, forsooth, the Galaxy Note 9, elegant in its glass-ness - and my FIRST purchase for it was a plastic encasement, lol!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They are called "Dad" pants. And for a reason. Don't be caught wearing 'Dad" pants.
Folks can call 'em whatever they like...I am still wearing them. Uncle Sugar told me how to dress for 22 years, so the only one I have to answer to these days is the DW and she has no problems with them.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #54

If you are truly retired, like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...63314240067892
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

I carry my iPhone X in front jeans pockets when I’m walking around, but have to take it out when I sit down. Most times I’m wearing cargo shorts or pants where the phone fits with no problem.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I don't carry one at all. It sits in my car and I have it blue toothed to cordless phones in the house. If I forget and park the car too far away, it just takes a message.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Well, I’m a grandpa, so doesn’t that mean they’ll make me look younger?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #58

My phone is an Alcatel Pixie Glory that was about $100 on Tracfone. It fits in my pocket.
I get phone and text messages on it, plus internet connectivity. I cannot see paying $1000 for a phone.
We are Tracfone subscribers as it is a prepaid plan that you have total control over. It also has an optioon to use WiFi to save you phone charges.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I have no problem carrying the 5.4" x 2.7" Nexus 5 in my front pocket of my shorts or pants. No cargo pants.

I never use the back pocket for fear of it falling out or me sitting on it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #60

My cell phone (unless on vacation) is either on my desk 95% of time or in my car center storage armrest thing. I have trained everyone to call my spouse. The joke phrase is have your people call my people. Land line is on an answering machine and I answer if I know them or they first identify themselves or expect a call back.

I learned from the youth around me that you are only available when you want to be and if someone unknown is calling it is generally for their benefit.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote