Join Early Retirement Today

how to carry cell phone
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

how to carry cell phone

My husband is seriously thinking about getting a smartphone. Somehow we've been getting by with a flip phone from 2007, no data. It's time for us to cave. His concern relates to how to carry it - many of his pant pockets are shallow, and he certainly doesn't want to have to worry about the 5"- 6" phone falling out. What do men do in this case? Thanks.

gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an iPhone SE which fits in my pocket.

treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Administrator

Virtually all my trousers and shorts have 1 or 2 extra pockets that have a zip or other fastener such as velcro.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm about to buy a belt smartphone holder. Within the last month I have accidentally dialed 911 when carrying in my shorts. Ha.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Use a belt clip from Otter box. It also has a very durable case for the phone. Cost is about $20.
TriumphTR3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #6

Don’t get one of the big smartphones. I have an iPhone 6s and it fits in my pants pockets. According to the specs it’s 5-1/2 inches by a little over 2-1/2 inches. I think most brands have a similar size option.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been without a cellphone for quite sometime. My daughter gave me a Tracphone recently.

I still forget to pick it up as I go out the door. While working, I was on the phone 9 hrs. a day. Since retiring, voice communications is unimportant. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'd certainly hate to think I had to keep up with a $600-$1000 cellphone.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My Iphone 5S fits well in my front pocket - not as well as my longtime favorite workhorse Nokia 3310 but it hasn't broken in half like I expected. Now leaning toward grudgingly stepping up to an Iphone 6S, which is larger yet. I have pants with pockets that lose contents like car key or penknife, but the phone seems to stay put. BIL has a phone holster he wears at the small of his back - that level of conspicuous phone connection just doesn't appeal. My best solution involves having the gal nearby so her phone's utility is available while I can leave my phone in the car and enjoy not having that loud little societal tether clinging to me.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

I've tried belt mounted "holsters", but they have all broken due to getting caught on something. Maybe if I didn't wear my phone while working in the yard, but I use it for pictures, calculations and the occasional SMS, so I like to have it one me. My previous phone was always in my front right pants pocket, screen in. This phone has a fingerprint sensor which is triggered if the screen is in, so I carry it screen out in that pocket trouser pocket.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #10

I have an iPhone 8 and it fits in all my pants/shorts. I never had it fall out.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

i put it in my purse
Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cargo pants long and short) are always in style--for a reason.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm about to buy a belt smartphone holder. Within the last month I have accidentally dialed 911 when carrying in my shorts. Ha.
Maybe carry it your back pocket - that should prevent you accidentally poking the keypad with something.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My phone is pretty big (Pixel XL0 and it fits in either a front pocket or a back pocket (subject to pulling it out when I sit down - sometimes I forget and sit on it - never did any damage but thinking that the stress of sitting on it might break something).
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #15

I noticed many of the young-uns carrying them in their back pockets so I followed suit. Works for me and my iPhone 6+. Never had a problem with it bending if I sat on it, despite the fact the internet went bonkers over “bendgate” several years ago.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #16

Sorry but can't go with the belt clip idea. However if you have a degree in engineering, computer science or math you can have a waiver.

Otherwise I agree that an IPhone SE that's at least an IPhone 6 would be easy to carry.

When I am wearing gym shorts out and about I have an athletic backpack with rope shoulder straps. That could be construed as a "murse" so that can be discussed in a later thread.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #17

Pocket
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

When the larger phones were first introduced, the universal comment from males was "But it won't fit in my pocket." The obvious, useful answer is a crossbody vertically-oriented bag, where you can also put your glasses, keys, wallet, and a water bottle. Disregard all the shrieks of horror at "man-purse" and go with the practical and efficient. Restricting yourself to a mini-phone because it must go into a pocket only means you need a second, larger phone or tablet. :-)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #19

I tried the belt clip "holster" for a few years, but my experience was like sengsational's--they eventually get snagged on something and break.

Now I keep it in a front pocket, it has a very thin rubberized case and a screen protector. It never falls out and I've never broken it. The downside--I keep nothing else in that pocket, so now my keys, wallet, coins, pens, etc are in the other front pocket. It's crowded in there. I don't like keeping much in the back pockets--a comb, some notes, etc.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Cargo pants long and short are always in style--for a reason.
Cargo pants, eh? I hear these days they are called "purse pants"

They are very helpful for carrying...well, almost anything.