Join Early Retirement Today

How to clean a plasma TV screen
Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How to clean a plasma TV screen

I have a wonderful Panasonic plasma TV. Alas my grandchildren are part of the touch screen generation and it now has assorted dirty spots on it that are getting annoying.

What do you use to clean a TV screen? Is anything special needed for a plasma screen?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have a wonderful Panasonic plasma TV. Alas my grandchildren are part of the touch screen generation and it now has assorted dirty spots on it that are getting annoying.

What do you use to clean a TV screen? Is anything special needed for a plasma screen?
We just sold our Panasonic plasma TV, so DH cleaned it before packing it, but we didn't have any fingers touching that TV.

DH says to use an art/drafting brush to brush off any dust on it. Then take a microfiber cloth, dampen very lightly it with water, and wipe it.

Not sure about what a safe cleaner would be beyond that.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We just sold our Panasonic plasma TV, so DH cleaned it before packing it, but we didn't have any fingers touching that TV.

DH says to use an art/drafting brush to brush off any dust on it. Then take a microfiber cloth, dampen very lightly it with water, and wipe it.

Not sure about what a safe cleaner would be beyond that.
+1 Excellent advice for any TV or monitor screen. Mist a soft microfiber cloth with water and wipe gently.
MacsNMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My plasma has a glass screen, and So does works.

My LCD televisions have a porous finish and little greasy fingers wreak havoc on them. The silicone day designed for it is the only way to go clean it.

Plasma televisions are no longer used due to weight. My 60 inch is mounted above my fireplace and it had to be pinched up there at almost 150 lbs.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

I will rue the day when my Panasonic Plasma kicks. Circa 2009 and it still has an awesome picture.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I will rue the day when my Panasonic Plasma kicks. Circa 2009 and it still has an awesome picture.
Yeah, the only reason we gave it up was DH decided to go 4K. And I have to say the OLED screen is awesome. The blacks are so black itís an amazingly rich picture.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, the only reason we gave it up was DH decided to go 4K. And I have to say the OLED screen is awesome. The blacks are so black itís an amazingly rich picture.
I'm planning on springing for an LG OLED in the next couple of weeks. My 10 year old Sony LED still has a decent picture but it looks rather bland in comparison to the OLED.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Yes! Friends who see it for the first time are amazed at the picture and think it is the latest tech. Actually it is nearly 10 years old - 720p. Some of the new Oleds are just about its equal.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

So, here is what I have found as the 'official' way to clean my TV.

Turn off and unplug it.
Wipe the dust off with a very soft microfiber cloth or cotton cloth.
If necessary, mix tsp dish washing detergent (NOT dishwasher!) with enough water to dilute it 100x. dip the soft cloth into the solution, wring it out very well, and gently wipe down the screen. Dry immediately with another soft cloth.

I love my grand-kids but if I can't get their marks off my Plasma TV I may disown them. ;-)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #10

Water on a soft cloth is what we use on our 10 year old plasma. I heard the lifespan of plasma TV is about 10 years. We wanted to give it away but since there is a fee to dispose of them properly, this makes this the classic white elephant to give to someone: a TV that might stop anytime soon and that the recipient will have to pay to dispose of.

"We can cannot compel others to do our will" Norman Goldman
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Oops! I didn’t realize the plasma had a limited lifespan of 10 years. We sold ours really cheap so someone in the neighborhood would haul off the giant heavy box. I guess they have 2.5 years left to enjoy it.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

I'm pretty sure our Panasonic plasma TV is more than 10 years old. I just checked some websites and the model we have was introduced in June 2006, and I found a photo of our family room from May 2007 where it's in the picture. I'm pretty sure a college student friend home on Christmas break helped us install it, so my guess is we got it in January 2007 which makes it 11 years old. We do love the picture, but I'm also getting a little itchy for some of the newer bells and whistles. But not enough to part with it - yet. I'm hoping OLEDs come down in price before it gives up the ghost.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I'm hoping OLEDs come down in price before it gives up the ghost.
I've been shopping the 2017 LG OLED's and they can be found for around 50% off the suggested retail price and the 2018 models should be released soon so I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017's came down some more fairly soon.

zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote