I Want to Print In Color But There Are Too Many Choices

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Bought a new camera recently that has a lot of settings. The detailed manual is about 350 pages stored as a PDF file. I'm old fashioned and prefer a paper document I can flip through instead of trying to search and squint looking at my computer screen. The document contains both black and white.

I already have a trusty workhorse black and white multi-function printer. I'm happy with the exception, well obviously, it doesn't print in color for the seldom time I need color.

As I was doing some Amazon browsing last night, I was feeling overwhelmed with all the choices. For one, companies make too many models to choose from :facepalm:.

Usually, I automatically eliminate inkjets right off the bat because of the need to buy expensive replacement cartridges and if not used often, the ink dries up. But came across Epson tank type printers might be worth a look. Refills by bottles in a tank instead of familiar cartridges. So, don't have to refill and buy so often and brings costs down to about a penny a page.

I've narrowed my options to the following:

1) major upgrade - get a new color MFC laser printer

2) Epson tank type

3) Color laser printer - printer only

4) Very cheap inkjet (almost disposable) just to print out that PDF document

5) wait and wait and continue saying I don't do color

As, I said, so many choices :(.

I am also one who likes to read printed pages instead of computer screens.

But, but, but 350 pages? That's 3/4 of a ream of papers. It's heavy, and will cost a lot of ink to print.

I would just keep the pdf file, which I can search through on keywords.

No matter the refill method, the inkjet will get clogged.
I have an HP color network printer, and an MFC scanner/printer/fax. That suits every need, at least for me.
If I had to make decision today, and buy just one printing device, it would be a color laser. Quick, longer lasting print, and so on.

... The document contains both black and white.

I hope so! An all white or all black document would be very, very hard to read! :)

And 350 pages of all black sure would use a lot of toner/ink! OTOH, all white wouldn't even need a printer, just buy the paper! :LOL:

I assume you meant "black and white and color", but it struck me as funny, couldn't pass it up - , so OK, more seriously...

but first is that kinda like both kinds of music, "Country and Western"?... Ok, enough!!! ...

I am also one who likes to read printed pages instead of computer screens.

But, but, but 350 pages? That's 3/4 of a ream of papers. It's heavy, and will cost a lot of ink to print.

I would just keep the pdf file, which I can search through on keywords.

Staples says $0.13/page color, $0.04 B&W, so ~ $46 max, less if he can pre-sort the B&W from color and submit separately, and then collate them.

I plan to get a color laser in the future, they are getting smaller/lighter, but until then I just submit them to a local print shop on line and pick them up when convenient. Obviously, that is not always convenient, but it has been few enough that I live with it for now.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Usually, I automatically eliminate inkjets right off the bat because of the need to buy expensive replacement cartridges and if not used often, the ink dries up.(.

Inkjet cartridges don't have to be expensive. I routinely use non-OEM packs from amazon, with the entire set (black,cyan,magenta,yellow etc.) usually around $12.

quality can vary, but reviews help me pick.

First of all, check the PDF manual to see how many of those pages are in english. A lot of them include multiple language versions, and various disclaimers that makes the document a lot longer.

I think printing manuals - especially in color - is a waste, but if I were to do it, I'd just go to Kinkos or my local copy center to do it and call it a day. It will be exponentially faster and probably cheaper than paying for a new set of color ink cartridges and ream of paper.

Color laser is the way to go IMO. Note that most new printers, no matter what type, come with "starter" ink or toner. Since that small supply will make you purchase ink/toner soon, scope out the cost. Some cost about the price of a new printer.

It doesn't make any sense to purchase a printer in order to print one manual.

Either have it printed at a local print shop, or check the website of the camera manufacturer - sometimes they will send you a dead tree version of the manual for a price.

A lot of good feedback here to consider.

I haven't inquired, but did think about maybe just going to place to see what it would cost to print out the PDF. But then thought again, I may need to print in color again another time so may best to just go ahead and buy. The print shop or dead tree idea is a good idea, regardless.

350 pages does sound like a lot. But if I got a duplex printer that's 125 pages which really isn't that much. Could fit easily in a binder and I bet the initial toner on laser printer would last.

That Epson tank printer still seems a bit appealing. I figured if I at least printed some pages a month so it may not clog. Plus, then if I needed to do a photocopy in color, I can. But at the same, I said goodbye to inkjets a long time ago.

Oh, I meant to say black and white and color. Not just black and white :).

B/W copies are realtively cheap. Color copies are probably in the range of .50 per imprint.
If you print 2-up, the cost might be close to $100.

Check page size!
A lot of manuals are 5x8 or some such. Kind of a waste to put it on 8.5x11 paper.
And as stated earlier, find out how much of it is in a language you can read (including the legalese disclaimers).

Check page size!
A lot of manuals are 5x8 or some such. Kind of a waste to put it on 8.5x11 paper.
And as stated earlier, find out how much of it is in a language you can read (including the legalese disclaimers).

The PDF is the english version. About 350 pages worth.

When you duplex print, you save on the cost of paper. But you use ink or toner on both sides. So the cost savings for a duplex print job is not as much as you had hoped.

I had an Epson inkjet printer a few years ago. I liked the printer in most respects but, iirc, I swore off Epsons when I had a clogged print head nozzle that wouldn't clear. An internet search suggested that this was an especially common problem with Epsons.

I've had fewer problems with HP inkjet printers.

A color laser printer is tempting but the combined cost of the printer and toner cartridges is more than I can justify for a few pages per month.

I had an Epson inkjet printer a few years ago. I liked the printer in most respects but, iirc, I swore off Epsons when I had a clogged print head nozzle that wouldn't clear. An internet search suggested that this was an especially common problem with Epsons.

I've had fewer problems with HP inkjet printers.

A color laser printer is tempting but the combined cost of the printer and toner cartridges is more than I can justify for a few pages per month.

Those those newer Epson tank inkjets are tempting, still an inkjet which means probably prone to clogging.

I hear you about the color laser. Tempting but can I justify. I've been waiting about 15 years for the time to pull the trigger :).

35 years ago, laser writer plus $4500. 25 years ago, HP4mp $2000. 10 years ago HP color duplex laser, $500 or so. Might be off on the prices. I always had a sharp looking resume!

You know you can increase the font size when reading a pdf doc, right?

I understand some people still prefer paper, but I really miss the search function when I pull out any old paper manuals.

Seems to me the kind of printer you want for a 350 page doc is not the same for one to just have around as needed. I'd look for a paper version of the manual from the maker, or take the pdf on a memory stick someplace to have them print it. No idea how much they charge.

I bought a non-color laser printer 30 years ago for ~$2000. It worked great for many years. I had a need then that justified the cost.

B/W copies are realtively cheap. Color copies are probably in the range of .50 per imprint.
If you print 2-up, the cost might be close to $100.

I just went to Office Depot online where I uploaded the PDF file and got an estimate of cost. For B+W (or as ERD50 would say, Black :cool:) about $40. For Color Came out to around $125.

Nice to know but if I really want color printing that bad, think I'd feel better investing in my own printer.

I just went to Office Depot online where I uploaded the PDF file and got an estimate of cost. For B+W (or as ERD50 would say, Black :cool:) about $40. For Color Came out to around $125.

Nice to know but if I really want color printing that bad, think I'd feel better investing in my own printer.
Actually, that's black on white.
:D

As you have found, printing is not free.

Next idea, buy a cheap tablet and put all manuals on it. Just use it for manuals. They'll be in color, black on white, etc. Make the font large, etc. If the PDF is built to the right spec, it can reflow, etc.

Then you also have a portable slideshow for your pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom