Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

After a career in IT and using PC since it was a thing, I bought a MacBook Pro Retina about 5 years ago as my personal machine and to get experience with the MAC. I have not looked back. The PC requires constant attention to fix or tweak this or that, that seems to go wrong.

I would highly recommend getting a laptop MAC. While I do have a tablet too, I love the versatility of the laptop format. I can use it on the sofa, dining room table, treadmill, bed and kitchen table. It rarely leaves my side. I would not like being tied to the computer desk. That said, I got my husband a PC Laptop about 6 years ago and it never leaves the desk...
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Anyway, I was thinking about what kind of antivirus protection to get, if any, for this machine. I'm reading that iMacs are less vulnerable to malicious code, but not impervious. Any thoughts from you Mac converts?
Gosh, I remember Mac virus on a floppy disk. Ancient history.
The only problem my F-I-L has run into is browser hijacks. He had two or three go-arounds with popups that had him convinced he needed to download something to protect himself. I am not sure if there is protection against this, other than, "don't agree to that."
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Don't mean to hijack the last few posts (is it possible for OP to hijack his own post??), but I have a question. I am really enjoying my iMac, and find it good for the brain to unlearn Microsoft and learn Apple. Little things like discovering that the right mouse button doesn't do much on an iMac. Or trying to determine where my documents are being saved to. Somewhere on my hard drive or in the iCloud, who knows!
Anyway, I was thinking about what kind of antivirus protection to get, if any, for this machine. I'm reading that iMacs are less vulnerable to malicious code, but not impervious. Any thoughts from you Mac converts?
The "Save Dialog" has a minimized default mode which just shows you the file name, tags, and where it's being saved. The Where will be a name like Documents or iCloud Drive. This is a popup which will show you a list of common places to store files and some of the recent places you have saved a file.

There is also a little button with a V symbol in it. This lets you toggle to a larger save dialog with a more extensive file browser.

As to Anti-Virus software, most people don't run third party software. MacOS has a lot of malware protection built into it. I'd recommend you only run apps downloaded from the Mac App Store. There is a setting in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Allow apps downloaded from: App Store. Make sure that's on. This prevents apps (accidentally) download via a browser from accessing your Mac.

Also, make sure you keep MacOS updated. I know Windows users that never or rarely update. There's almost no reason to not update a Mac. Make sure System Preferences > App Store > Automatically Check For Updates is enabled.

Someone else mentioned enabled the "Right Click" button on the mouse. It's never "required" but often gives you nice shortcuts - it's equivalent to clicking with the Control key down. You turn that on in System Preferences >Mouse > Secondary click

Have fun.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would look at ClamAV for Mac OS X. It used to be free but it may require a donation.

It's open source, so no malicious ads installed with it.

You have to run it manually, which I do periodically in my Downloads folder.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #85

Keep in mind that iyour internet provider may offer a free firewall and antivirus, but you have to seek it out and install it yourself. It's not automatic.

I have Comcast and they cover Norton's firewall and antivirus, either Windows or Mac. It took a little digging around to find the installer, I think on the Xfinity website. When installed the software, I had to manually key in my Xfinity account number just the very first time. AT&T also offers something similar, with another well known antivirus/firewall.

As for mice, I use a generic corded PC mouse from Amazon Basics. It's dirt cheap and very good. I like the separate right click button and center scroll. Not batteries to replace.

Actually, I didn't care for the Apple mice, at least the ones from several years ago. Seemed to eat batteries and I felt it was hard to control.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Depending on your budget, I'd go to an Apple Store and look at the 27-inch model with the 5K screen.

I think a good quality display of that size might be around $1000 by itself.

Don't forget to check out the refurbished store, way at the bottom of the Apple website, in the fine print. You can get a current or near current model while savings hundreds of dollars. I bought a refurb from Apple and it was identical to new, except the outer cardboard box was plain, no fancy graphics.

For photo editing, I agree that you'll love the 27" display. Also lots of good discussion regarding the advantages of SSD internal drives (or at least Fusion) and backing up w/ Time Machine. Both life savers for photogs.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I'm not an Apple fan but if you like your other Apple devices then, you'll probably like the iMac.
Never was an Apple fan either, only PCs. But then one day I received an iPod as a gift (wow is this cool). Then I got an iPhone (best cell phone I've ever owned). Then DW gave me an iPad which I thought was a cute toy but would never really use.

Then the last PC I had was less than stellar, not to mention the awful version of Windows at the time. So I bought a MacBook. I am now totally in the Apple ecosphere and everything simply works.

I have looked at the iMacs and are they ever sweet, but I have yet to pull the trigger...
WestUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
No need, in my opinion
Old 11-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #88
gone traveling

No need, in my opinion

Quote:
was thinking about what kind of antivirus protection to get
Mac user since 2005.
Do dangerous things.
Have never owned anti-virus on Mac.

I do use Little Snitch which I (as a nerd) find useful. But, it is complicated and annoying.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #89

Build your own machine with better parts for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Don't know why so many fall for the Apple scam.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
the Apple scam.
Right...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote